My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by advinnie »

Well I've been busy rebuilding my turbo the oil feed line broke and anyway I ended up with some a axle shafts play. Well I'm now hitting 8psi in second and 12 in 3rd and I'm seriously thinking of some bigger tyres. I have a pair of 175/65/15's on the rear and this morning I had them sping in 1st than as I went into second they list traction and the same as I hit third, what size tyres are you lit running?
Also a new gearbox is on the cards, when the boost kicks on the gear stick has started moving violently back and forth although is not yet started coming out of gear.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm running 205/65/15 on the back of mine. I think 1 size bigger would have been better for me. I think a little wider would fit. A little taller too.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Cheers mate
Are your wheels 5.5" wide?
And in that photo what size you running up front and do you have a narrowed beam I like the way your bug sits
buguy

Post by buguy »

Wheels are all 5.5 wide. Beam is narrowed 5" with drop spindles which push it out 1/2" on each side. So that makes it 4" narrower than stock. Front tires are 135's. Be warned that size will lock up and skid very easily! I also have an adjustable beam so I'm not real sure what the drop is up front. It will go waaay lower! Back is lowered one outer notch in the arms. Swing axle.
I'm going to change it to +5/-5 on the arms to raise it a bit. I've outgrown the camber.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

That's a nice bug.
IM also running 135's up front and yes they do lock up very easy.
I lifted the rear end on mine cause every time I floored it the rear would scrap the road.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah mine doesn't scrape I don't think but it has to be close! I don't know why it launches so hard because I'm not making any boost there, but it sure feels like it could wheelie with a bit more traction.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Here are the 205's next to the smaller 165's I took off if that helps you at all.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Yes that helps a lot 😀
I'm going to try a set of those and see how it goes but I think I will have to remove the 1" rear wheel spacers first
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Adam, if your gear stick is moving a lot, it is probably worn mounts rather than the gearbox wearing out.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I will check them out but I did put new ones in about a year ago
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I will check them out but I did put new ones in about a year ago
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I second Dans observation, there isn't really anything in the trans that will waggle the shifter like that, that's all monkey motion from the engine/trans hopping, and that will break things... Expensive things.

The (real) VW HD mounts will hold up better than the std ones, but if you are pushing much more than *~65 hp and launching reasonably hard, you seriously need to look at a trans strap setup, perhaps trans mid-mount and and kafer bar to stop the frame horn flex. This will also allow your transmission to live awhile.

*(you can get wheel hop with a decent running stock 1600dp and eventually kill a transmission)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
madmike

Post by madmike »

I run 6 x 26 and 7 x 24 race slicks and just picked up some street slicks 215 65 15 slicks 8)
I currently run 195 65 15 and they spin constantly :roll: :lol: :lol:
Pile is spot on about the Motor mounts :wink: ALL stock type mounts will break :roll: urethane type are crap too.
solid on the rear (mine is a Berg w/ wheelie Bar mount)
Berg mid mount or any type will work bolt in or weld style ,,I don't even run a front mount :lol:
and a Kafer bar/truss support.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Right had a look today and the mounts are all good and tight. But the engine and box (although you can't move then by hand ) are lifting/bouncing when the turbo kicks in ( had the engine lid off and a friend driving behind me )
Now I've looked at a lot of gearbox and engine support bars but just not Shaw witch to go for. I will post some links in a tick