Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
kangaboy

Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by kangaboy »

Anyone have a preference and reasoning?

I can run an electronic boost control with MS3X, but I'm concerned about keeping the solenoid in a cool enough environment to operate for max longevity. DIYAutotune sells a boost control solenoid but recommends keeping it under 125°F. I don't know if my engine bay stays that cool all the time, and I don't know if I like the thought of several extra feet of vacuum line to route it in the cabin or elsewhere. Thoughts?
Should I just go with a manual controller? My Wastegate came with springs to get me up to 10lbs.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
buguy

Re: Electronic and Manual Boost Controls

Post by buguy »

Interesting question. I was reading up on aftermarket electronic boost controllers a while back and it seems they don't hold boost as well as a manual. Never used MS myself so I have no clue.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Kangaboy,

I run an EBC behind the fan shroud on the left side and never had a problem. My WG spring is 8psi but I'm actually running 15psi for the moment. They're fun to program on MS-II.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

kangaboy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:10 pm Anyone have a preference and reasoning?

I can run an electronic boost control with MS3X, but I'm concerned about keeping the solenoid in a cool enough environment to operate for max longevity. DIYAutotune sells a boost control solenoid but recommends keeping it under 125°F. I don't know if my engine bay stays that cool all the time, and I don't know if I like the thought of several extra feet of vacuum line to route it in the cabin or elsewhere. Thoughts?
Should I just go with a manual controller? My Wastegate came with springs to get me up to 10lbs.
I run mine in my fender well. Never had a problem. Where is your ecu? Inside the cabin?
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Chip Birks wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:39 pm
kangaboy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:10 pm Anyone have a preference and reasoning?

I run mine in my fender well. Never had a problem. Where is your ecu? Inside the cabin?
Mine ECU is under the rear driver side seat. I could do it under the wheel well I guess...could also do it on the back side of the fan shroud. Should be enough turbulence there that it stays cool enough.
2084 Turbo Build
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

You are willing to give the map sensor a 6 foot hose, it won't kill the ebc if the length is similar. Run decent diameter hose and you should be fine. I bet mine is close to 1/4" ID.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Chip Birks wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 pm You are willing to give the map sensor a 6 foot hose, it won't kill the ebc if the length is similar. Run decent diameter hose and you should be fine. I bet mine is close to 1/4" ID.
Yeah that was my only though process on that. I didn't know if the extra length of tubing would mess with any of the vac/boost signals going to the boost solenoid. I'll just mount is somewhere safe that wont get too hot and get a decent amount of tubing.
Figured it was better to spend $60 on the DIYAutotune solenoid and have EBC instead of the $60 manual ones I see floating around. Will be more fun to have it wired into the MS anyway.
2084 Turbo Build
bug66

Post by bug66 »

I have mine mounted on the gearbox mount. In cool air. No problem.
---

2165cc on a Borg Warner S257 SXE, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Why would it be hot in the engine compartment when the fan is always drawing in fresh cooling air????

I have my EBC mounted where the original coil was and have never had a problem.......even in 104 degree ambient air temps.

The only downside with having an EBC is you have to have a computer with you in order to change boost levels.

I recommend installing a switch that cuts the ECU ground signal to the EBC so that if per chance you need to limit your boost you can make it run off wastegate spring pressure.
Make sure that level is a fail safe level that can be run in any temperature and driving condition.

For Ex.

I have a 6.0 lb. spring in my stock Subaru turbo wastegate. When I turn off the switch on the dash I can cut my boost level to 6.0 lbs and also a second switch will deactivate the W/I for driving in any condition along with allowing anyone to drive it at that boost level without them getting into trouble.

If you have MS3 you can then install a multi position switch with a different boost level set for each position.
Mario had something posted on that a few years ago that he made up......it was pretty nice.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:59 pm Why would it be hot in the engine compartment when the fan is always drawing in fresh cooling air????

I have my EBC mounted where the original coil was and have never had a problem.......even in 104 degree ambient air temps.

The only downside with having an EBC is you have to have a computer with you in order to change boost levels.

I recommend installing a switch that cuts the ECU ground signal to the EBC so that if per chance you need to limit your boost you can make it run off wastegate spring pressure.
Make sure that level is a fail safe level that can be run in any temperature and driving condition.

For Ex.

I have a 6.0 lb. spring in my stock Subaru turbo wastegate. When I turn off the switch on the dash I can cut my boost level to 6.0 lbs and also a second switch will deactivate the W/I for driving in any condition along with allowing anyone to drive it at that boost level without them getting into trouble.

If you have MS3 you can then install a multi position switch with a different boost level set for each position.
Mario had something posted on that a few years ago that he made up......it was pretty nice.
How nice it would be to not have an engine compartment :wink:
I have a 5 position switch installed, and can toggle between gate pressure to higher than I want to go from the dash. It even looks mostly stock when mounted in the dash.

https://youtu.be/7OtVRyJWr6s
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's awesome!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Thanks! It turned out a little cooler than that video shows. I'll have to see if i can find a photo of it totally finished.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I'd love to see the end result!
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Yeah thats slick as hell. You have it wired to the MS then? Curious what the wiring diagram looks like...
2084 Turbo Build
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

I ordered a ebc for my gen4 too. Currious to see how it will work!
Better to be blown than to suck!