Getting to know you

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

David aka Leatherneck
Age = 46
Location = Calico Rock, Arkansas
Nationality = American
Marital Status = Married
Children = 4
Interests = my Family and Off-Roading
Education = Never enough!
Career = Bought a Cabinet Shop and making saw dust
Military History = 20 years in the United States Marine Corps
Coolest Job = Working on things that have enough power to destroy countries. Yes I am that way!
TV = Dirty Jobs, The Unit. Band of Brothers
Pets = Boxers

This is my first voyage into anything other then NA engines, so it should be interesting to say the least. At this point in time I am lacking the knowledge and skill that is where friends and this forum come into play, Thanks!
CHAZAVW

Post by CHAZAVW »

I haven't been here in a LONG while...... :cry:

Rob Bishop - CHAZAVW
Age - 30 in april
Location - Cleveland, Ohio
Nationality - Irish, German, and Iroquois Indian
Marital Status - married 1 yr now
No kids, two dogs - german shepard whippet mix and border collie mix
Career - Currently an Income Tax Auditor
Education - BS in accounting - currently attending Baldwin Wallace College for Masters in Mgmt
Coolest Job - I don't know what that is yet???? I was taught that work is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!
TV- Whose Line is it anyway? or the CAVS!

1st car was an 83 rabbit convertible...... 2nd car was an 87 scirocco 16v..... and we just got an 06 jetta tdi.....

I also have a 71 super and we also have an 05 seadoo gtx limited

I CAN'T SEEM TO EVER FINISH MY BUG!!! ITS A NEVER ENDING PROJECT!!!

GOT MARRIED LAST YR..... WENT ON A HONEYMOON LAST YR.... GOT A NEW JOB..... THEN DECIDED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL FOR MY MASTERS...... I AM SURE TO HAVE KIDS SOON..... I JUST HOPE THAT I KEEP MY VW AND GET IT THE WAY I WANT IT!!!
stantheman

Post by stantheman »

Age = 42
Location = Brisbane. Australia
Nationality = Aussie
Marital Status = Married 22 years
Children = 4
Interests = Obviously volksies, making stuff from metal and water skiing
Education = Grade 10
Career = Hydraulic technician in the mining industry
Military History = 9 years Air Force
Coolest Job = Current Job - engineer for large American aircraft corporation
TV = Top Gear (UK show), doco's and car shows
Pets = cat and 3 turtles

G'day all, my name is Andrew (my nickname is Stan legacy of airforce days) First car was a vw baja and have pretty much always had at least one volksy around since then. Current rides are a '69 notch daily driver and a '69 beetle with a draw through 1641. Oldest son has a bay kombi with an ej22 subaru.
philip1

Post by philip1 »

philip nichols - philip2
age - 19
location - United Kingdom - chester
Nationality = welsh
Marital Status = Girlfriend
Children = not for a while
Interests = vw, vauxhall corsa, pub, pool, music
Education = left school @16, almost timed served mechanical engineer for Kelloggs cereals
Career = alomost timed served mech.eng
Military History = none
Coolest Job = Current Job, work for one of largest cereal companies in the world
TV = simpsons, south park, and music channels on sky

bought 1st car when 13...rover mini, with intentions of big engine, roll cage etc, then before i even past test, id had 5other cars, to work on, first car to drive was a 69 vw beetle, balck,with metal flake, 1776, twin 40dcnfs, 110, went like stink, and really woke all the idiots up at local race meets:D own a rover mini at moment, opel/vauxhall corsa gsi, and a 68 beetle, with golde rag, with plans for a serious turbo'd bug :twisted:
red74super

Post by red74super »

Age = 22
Location = Norman, Oklahoma
Marital Status = have a girlfriend
Children = 0
Interests = bugs, computers, learning, wakeboarding, snowboarding
Education = in my 4th year at university of oklahoma
Career = worked in IT for 2.5 years at university
Coolest Job = had in internship last summer in Folsom, CA
and got to go to see the sac raceway covered in vw's!!!
and go the xgames in LA.
TV = pinks, overhaulin, family guy, southpark
Pets = landlord won't let me get a dog

I have been into vw's since I was in highschool. No one in my family has ever been into cars very much and I had to learn everything from reading on here and books. I built a 1776 over 3 years ago and am still driving it and just got it turboed. I have learned a lot on these forums and think they are a good thing. I like being able to say that I know how to fix my car and I did almost if not all of the work on it. When i graduate i am going to do some sort of IT job. no idea what yet, this summer I have an internship in Tulsa doing infrastructure management for bank of oklahoma. When i get a normal paying job and don't have to do school anymore. I am going to pull my bug off the road and rebuild it the right way, or leave it on while i build the new motor. and hopefully get a 11 second street car when i'm done.

keep dubbin.
1971 911T - swap/project
2006 wrx wagon - 6 speed swap
1991 miata - full racecar
dave t

getting to know you

Post by dave t »

Dave T age=40 new to the forum. Wanting to build a 74mm crank, 90.5 pistons, 39X32 heads, looking for a 112-114 lobe center cam. I have a 110 that I could use. I have a Dell 40 DHLA that I will set up using the Turbomania book. I have e-tubes coming and Scott will be making some mod rings. here[img][img]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o157 ... ct0908.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o157 ... 11-web.jpg[/img][/img]
krems

Post by krems »

following MN's format

Well.. where to start?

I’ll format it for easier reading.

Age = 21
Location = Kingston, Jamaica
Nationality = Jamaican
Marital Status = Single (...but taken)
Children = 0,and at my age i'd like to keep it that way
Interests = Cars, Computers, Music...that kinda thing
Education = Bachelor's degree :roll:
Career = Web Designer at a newspaper, pc consultant
Military History = my sis was a sharpshooter in the US reserves...that count?
Coolest Job = come on now...im in computing..lol
TV = 27" Panasonic that i'll watch heroes on
Dog = Xena
VW Cylinder Index = not quite sure what this means :shock:

VW Interest…
Grandmother had a bug, Uncle had a bug with a 1835 that i swore was the fastest thing ever. sister bought 2 bugs and gave me one...here i am.
latemodel

Post by latemodel »

Well i have been reading for a long time so i thought i would finaly indentify myself and tell you about my "unique" turbo setup.
Name: Jeff
Location Medford, OR
originally from So Cal (don't tell my neighbors)
Member of SOVW (local club, lots of fun)
I am the I.T. Manager for a mid-sized local furniture chain.
My Car: 1972 standard, "street" restoration job
1955 cc turbo motor. T3 .48 blowing through scat 35mm solexes (modified) 8.3:1-13psi @18 deg. and it does not ping... Zero deck baby....
stock heads (why waste money?)
tcs-10 cam
1.25:1 rockers, titaninum retainers, ultra 75 lifters thin wall chromo pushrods
4140 crank, CB super rods 12lb forged flywheel, straight cuts
the smallest crank pulley i can find and a welded fan (last one EXPLODED!!!)
That is the summary, i do not know how it compares to some of the cars talked about here but it is pretty damn fast and has better throttle reaponse than any other turbo motor i have heard run. The solexes took some mods and massaging but they work awsome, several people who have rode with me asked if i had injection.
anywho, thanks to everyone on this forum for all the information, it has been a real help!
Terry in TN

Post by Terry in TN »

Age = 40
Location = God's country(TN)
Nationality = US born in Germany
Marital Status = Life sentence
Children = 2 boys 4 and 18mo.
Interests = The Allmighty, engines of any sort
Education = B.S. Business MIS
Career = Sys Analyst for Health Dept
Military History = Father (AF), Grandfather(Army Calvary), summer job at the end of a AFB flight line as fighters and C-5s took off overhead
Coolest Job = That was my coolest job
TV = Myth Busters, Nova, War History, science/Technology stuff
Dog = 0.00
VW Cylinder Index = batting avg .300
I come from humble beginnings. I was the first to graduate college and the first to own a turbo. NOW I have three turboed cars. VW interest came from my father owning T1s. They remind me of visits to Germany and good times. I wanted to restore a 356 but costs moved me toward a bug. Began acquiring many junkers until I found my 61 slider in 1993 as an abused baja with a very tired single port. After 14 years of sandblasting welding and grinding I got all the rusted wrecked sections straight. It road worth but still needs some wrinkles ironed out.
dragracer117

Post by dragracer117 »

my name is coby
I live in north dakota, where nothing ever happens
I am 30
I am a welder/machinist, I work on draglines and powershovels all over the usa and canada. (mostly canada)
we rebuild and make new parts for draglines
I have been reading these forums for awhile getting lots of good info, I thank everybody for that, seems I can never read enough.
married have a 5 yr old daughter and son will be here soon if not by the 19th they are going to go in and get him.
I have had busses and bugs for most of my life, now my daily driver/drag vehichle is my 66 suburban. It only runs 8.50s in the 1/8 though its too damn heavy.
I just bought another bug to put my 1776 in, it will be my daily driver, and will most likely have two engines. 1776 for daily driver, and 1914 turbo for the weekend. Of course that sounds like a good plan, but realistically I wont want to put the 1776 back in. :D
By the way Scott, the rug really tied the room together man.
Gabetion2000

Post by Gabetion2000 »

Hello all. My name is Gabe .

Age=24
Location= Socal
Maried= almost
children =nope
interest=cars air and watercooled vw's
education=high school and automotive trade school
career= work at a vw dealership, working on the new stuff
coolest job=the one I have
tv=dirty jobs, reno 911, family guy
dog=nope but want one
vw cylinder index=??????????????????????

I have owned my kickass 73 super for almost 10 years, have loved vw's since my dad had one in the early 80's. I am on my third motor, first one was 1600, second 2017, and now I have a 2276 and loving it. Next year im going to start building my first turbo motor. Probly a 78x90.5.
nastynate

Post by nastynate »

Hi My name is Nathan
I live in Wilmington NC about 5 minutes from the beach -I HATE THE BEACH TOO-(originally from NH)
I am 29, married for 8 years with one daughter. I manage a small computer shop
I've been messing with all kinds of cars forever (I never did much internal motor stuff but i am learning now) Started with hondas, had a bunch of steet bikes, went through a big 4X4 phase, I had a rail about 6 years ago and regretted selling it. I now have a 63 bug front narrowed about 4-5 inches lowering spindles and adjusters (Low) the back is lowered alot (I love the look when its parked and the camber on the back tires, I had someone ask one tie if it was brokcen) It is flat black, rusty rims, pinstiping, front seats, no door panels, metalflake dash, and the shifter almost hits the roof. I also have a rail with a 1600 (I'm turboing the rail) hopefully Ill get a squareback in a year or so.
Just stumbled onto this forum and now check it everynight. It's the first forum i've signed up too. It's great as long as you guys don't mind all my questions if not I'll keep them comming.
twoghias

Post by twoghias »

my name is Mike and i am addicted to everything.
With so many Mike's racing out of the same shop, all of us have a nickname. mine is Nitro Mike

Age=52
Location= central florida. between disney world and hubcap world.
Maried= same 'girlfriend' since 1979
children =no, girlfriend says i am a big one
interest= anything with a steering wheel and a gas pedal
education=high school and one boring college try
career= currently i bust knuckles on dailey drivers and some hot rods, mostly american cars. but i get to come home everyday smelling like gearlube and my girlfriends dog never bites anyone that smells like gearlube.
coolest job= when i was unemployed and worked without salary at a local VW shop. i could hardly wait for the owner to open. i was usually waiting for him with a big smile and lots of enthusiasm. i was in VW heaven.
tv=whatever the girlfriend has on (i have some good sense)
dog=girlfriends 14 year old pound dog. mixed chow. he has never raced a vw. he says race fuel is like $84.00 a gallon in dog money and he just can't afford it. i feel his pain.
vw cylinder index=was at the overfull mark untill last august when i rolled my ghia ABRAKADABRA at the big end and it didn't even have the good manners to leave me with a scar to show when i tell the story.
matte30is

Post by matte30is »

Age=29
Location= claremore, oklahoma
Maried= yes
children = 2
interest= VW's duh. basketball, music.
education= tech school graduate, some college.
career= aviation mechanic.
coolest job= the one I have now, working on old school dc/kc-10's
tv= history channel, anything really.

I got into vw's a few years ago used to be a die hard BMW guy. Recently traded my last BMW for a vw turbo kit to go on my 69 bug. I own a 70's swing axle sand rail.

I was really just tired of making car payments and high insurance(last car was an 2005 a4 turbo) and realized that air cooled vw's are where its at.

Do you really need anything else?
vwjedi

Re: Getting to know you

Post by vwjedi »

MY NAME IS JEFF IM A TATTOOIST AND AIRBRUSH ARTIST ON THE STRIP. NOW LIVING IN LAS VEGAS, PREVIOUSLY 100 MI NORTH OF PHX IN VERDE VALLEY AZ. IVE BEEN A VW ENTHUSIAST FOR APPX:32 YEARS IVE OWNED SO MANY I CANT RECALL THEM ALL. I BUILD MOTORS BOTH STOCK AND HI-PERF, I NOW LIVE NEAR SOME SMALL DUNES, SO RAILS ARE A MUST I RECENTLY STARTED MESSING WITH TURBOS. CURRENTLY RUNNING A 1835CC DRAW THROUGH TURBO. THAT I SCROUNGED AROUND FOR PARTS AND FABBED EXHAUST INTAKES ETC, HAS WEBER DCOE NOW. AND WORKS PRETTY GOOD, ALUMINUM EMPI CASE. LOCKED 009, 041 BIG VALVE HEADS 6500 CUT OFF ROTOR HOLLEY RED PUMP AND REGULATER TO SUIT IT. IM AMAZED HOW BOLTING UP A TURBO ON AN AIR COOLED TOTALLY CHANGES IT INTO ANOTHER SUBSPECIES OF A BEAST. IM NOT SURE WHY I DIDNT JUMP ONBOARD A LONG TIME AGO. I BEEN TO MANY BUGORAMAS, PHX AND VEGAS. LONG TIME AT BUGOBUGORAMA 14 IN PHX I RACED MY DAILY DRIVER CAL BUG AND GOT 1ST RUNNER UP. LOSING TO DOUG BERG.(GENE BERGS GRANDSON). I DID IT WITH A SMILE AND I EVEN MET GENE. A HERO OF MINE. SINCE THEN IVE SHOWN A FEW RIDES AND HOLD A FEW TROPHIES LAST OCTOBER THIRD I CAUGHT 3RD IN MY CLASS IN VEGAS FOR AN INTERESTING MANX BUGGY WITH A CORVETTE ROADSTER FRONT END. WITH MY TURBO MOTOR IN IT. AND SINCE THEN I HAVE TOTALLY RESTORED IT TO A CHERRY. MY TURBO ENFLUENCE WAS FROM JAN BLAIR HE WAS RUNNING (BUG LITE) AT THE TIME. WHEN MY MENTOR AND BEST FRIEND BRUCE BRIMHALL AND I WERE DOING OUR BUG THING TOGETHER IN COTTONWOOD AZ. LOVE ALL THE ARTICLES EVERYBODY KEEP EM COMMING