Camshaft grinds for turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
terryly

Re: Camshaft grinds for turbo

Post by terryly »

"just try it 'You'll like it"
That there is one slippery slope
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
terryly

Post by terryly »

I will jump in on this thread . Probably the right place for it any ways. Apologies for shamelessly coping it from another site :oops: But man this typing WELL HERE GOES
Doing my annual clean,inspect,fix and upgrade this year. I was messing around with mocking up a turbo to my already built 2180. Picked up a td04 turbo and made some flanges and got a good idea of air water inter-cooler and plumbing. I will now have 2 different exhaust configurations from the collector flange back 1 N/a and 1 turbo. I should be able to swap my existing intake filter plumbing set up to the turbo plumbing quickly and easily.
Also Part of this years upgrades is to replace the mag case with an aluminum case. For my application I thought this would be better. I do beat on this car pretty hard.
In looking for a new case the local VW supplier did not carry one with a sand seal in stock and I would have to order another or cut a new one. Meanwhile I happend to find a new never used 92 x 86 Autolinea aluminum case that has the sand seal. Turns out it got piston squirters installed but never built or cleaned up. I picked this case up for about the same $ as a new case from bug shop win/win I hope.
Previously I was running a Engle W110 and 1.25 :1 rockers with swivel balls. And the car worked real good for its purpose What I am thinking of is trying a newer style cam With a good quality ratio rocker like CBs 1.4 and perhaps some behive springs ??
What I would really like is options for a real good bottom end torque cam that might stretch the upper rpm out a little. I would run this naturally aspirated this coming season while collecting the remaining water/air intercooler plumbing and water/meth injection parts

So what do you think any thoughts on a cam choice ?

Here is the engine specs of from last two seasons
as21 mag case hand clearenced { changing to Autolinea alum with hoover mods}
full flow
26mm o ring berg oil pump {going to 30mm double o ring pump}
Berg pressure relief cover {changing to remote by-pass }
Mocal oil temperature by-pass
Seatrab oil cooler with fan
82 forged CB? crank
92 AA thick wall P/C {not forged }
5.4 chev H beam rods AA?
Engle W 110 cam {[changing to ???}
Udo Becker tool steel lifters
Magnum strait cut adjustable cam gears {where to get offset washers ? }
1-1/2 Trimil bobtail/cat exhaust
CB los ponchito CNC ported 94mm heads 40x35 valves vw dual springs{behive?}
1.25 swivel ball rockers with berg/scatt ?solid shaft {CB 1.4 ?}
dual 42 mm MPH idf style throttle bodies
32 lb Five O injectors {adjust when turboed }
sled tins and thermostat
002 bus trans { have a 091/1 to put in for this season }

And now for some pics of what I am tinkering with
rear of car and naturally aspirated air filter and plumbing

fuel injection mod

Pruposed Turbo exaust and air to water intercooler plumbing planning

mounted up the turbo

reclocked it and turned it around

Mocked up to same size cardboard air/water intercooler and inventoried connections needed also made the T connection out of 2 1/2 exhaust pipe sorry no pic

I use the car both on and off road. Alot of the times OK more often than not it takes pretty aggressive launches turning 32x11.5 tires so I am sure its not easy on tranny's or cases Embarassed It also does have very good low speed manners since fuel injection and I really need to preserve that with the new cam.... for up hill starts, technical driving like around trees or objects , hanging off some mountain trail and muddy starts where a lot of wheel spin might not be wanted

So yea lets hear it cam choices

Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
madmike

Post by madmike »

W120 with 1:25's or a FK 8 and 1:4's :wink:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

If the cam you have works good now why change it???

With the W-100 cam I have and stock heads my power falls off at about 5000-5200 rpm.
I would think with a Baja you would be better off keeping the cam on the smaller side for more low to mid range torque instead of revving to get your power.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

^ In the case of a street/offroad car, I agree with CB's comments. I'd also say I reckon you want to keep those revs down for the sake of your engine case too. It's all very well if the car is mostly built for short blats and quarter mile sessions, but if you want many reliable offroad miles, your better to keep your revs down. It will also save your valve train.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Stay small. Keep that power down low. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The turbo alone will give you more rpm.
petew

Post by petew »

While we're on the subject of keeping things low, can a few experts here chime in about small VS large cams for pre-boost low revs? What's the difference? How will EFI effect a bigger cammed motor down low?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I've had to do some very creative tuning to get my setup to play nice with my large cam. It idles about 12kpa lower than ambient air pressure here. So I have to treat it as an NA setup and run it Alpha-N, for most of my non boosted driving, and Speed Density once it goes under boost. I haven't always done it like this. Back when I first got this cam, I just ran it as SD and called it good. The car had no bottom end, it was pretty hard to drive around town. I actually ended up pulling the cam and going smaller, just to get my bottom end back. That big cam sat in a box for a 3 years or so before I decided to give it another go. This time, with the blended tuning methods, the car is much more drivable. I'm sure it doesn't cruise around like your stock-ish ported, small valved, tiny cam setups. But for a big head, big cam race motor, it does just fine. It pushes my 2000lb car around on the street with nice manners, and retained its wild side as soon as manifold presssure goes positive. The cam in question is ground on 108LC, has 274° duration at .05" lift, and lifts .571" with my 1.4 rockers.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Damn Chip, that's bigger then my FK 10 :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John S.

Post by John S. »

Anyone ever try a Web 218 ground on 112 from aircooled.net?
buguy

Post by buguy »

I haven't but I've called web a couple times. They seem pretty knowledgeable. Might be worth calling to ask.
gbaker770

Post by gbaker770 »

Same cam I run Chip. I’m running them with a 1.5 rocker.

The old 121, I’ve run it in a few different combos. My favorite unlimited street cam.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Chip Birks wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:40 am I've had to do some very creative tuning to get my setup to play nice with my large cam. It idles about 12kpa lower than ambient air pressure here. So I have to treat it as an NA setup and run it Alpha-N, for most of my non boosted driving, and Speed Density once it goes under boost. I haven't always done it like this. Back when I first got this cam, I just ran it as SD and called it good. The car had no bottom end, it was pretty hard to drive around town. I actually ended up pulling the cam and going smaller, just to get my bottom end back. That big cam sat in a box for a 3 years or so before I decided to give it another go. This time, with the blended tuning methods, the car is much more drivable. I'm sure it doesn't cruise around like your stock-ish ported, small valved, tiny cam setups. But for a big head, big cam race motor, it does just fine. It pushes my 2000lb car around on the street with nice manners, and retained its wild side as soon as manifold presssure goes positive. The cam in question is ground on 108LC, has 274° duration at .05" lift, and lifts .571" with my 1.4 rockers.
Interesting. Last combo used 108LC as well on about 268 degree duration (0.050), but the torque was a bit too peaky for my liking and dropped off too much too quickly. Power stayed level from 5500 to 7500, but that tells you that torque drops hard.
So, I am now going back to a little bit more LC and even more duration (272 and 110LC), also since the engine will become a little bigger.
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
buguy

Post by buguy »

Where do you even find a 1.5 rocker? I always thought it was weird that Web lists their cams on a 1.5 rocker but I've never seen any advertised.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:30 am Where do you even find a 1.5 rocker? I always thought it was weird that Web lists their cams on a 1.5 rocker but I've never seen any advertised.
Just buy a 1.4 from cb. It'll probably measure 1.5 :roll: