My ongoing Turbobaja build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: My ongoing Turbobaja build

Post by Clonebug »

Very Nice and definitely impressive!!!!
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Ohhh....and it didn't happen unless there is a vid!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Doesn't that dyno sheet say max boost of 9.36 on the 240 run?
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

sweet man 8)
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Very Nice, you should be proud! :D
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Chip Birks wrote:Very impressive! Whats the problem with 108lc? My 108 cam encourages spool way faster than the old 110lc setups did.
His reasoning was the same everyone uses, that basically the more overlap you have the more you're pushing the charge out the exhaust valve at the beginning of the intake cycle with boost pressure. My concern is that I'm loosing bottom end grunt with this much overlap, and only 8.1:1 CR. This cam is NOT that aggressive in the big picture. Similar to a W120, 86A, etc. I'd like to do a "quick swap" to dual IDF pattern T-bodies to see if it's my single t-body and plenum size/design effecting the low rpm behavior.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Clonebug wrote:Ohhh....and it didn't happen unless there is a vid!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah...I wish I took some pics or a video, but I didn't do either :cry: . Mario took some pics and a video that might not have very good sound. We had people stopping by from local businesses commenting on the sounds it was making :twisted: :mrgreen: !
Karl

DON'T QUIT
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Chip Birks wrote:Doesn't that dyno sheet say max boost of 9.36 on the 240 run?
We're not sure why, but his reading was consistently lower than the logged boost pressure and my mechanical gauge reading. He T'd a ??bar sensor into my 3" pre-throttle charge pipe. My MAP sensor and boost/vac gauge is obviously tapped into the plenum. I don't know if it's location or calibration that made the difference, but we're trusting what the car is telling us for now.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

andy198712 wrote:246... in a baja! mad!! :)

Well done!
I had to resist the urge to take Mario off-roading on our test drive. We had fun boosting up a couple hills. I think we got a little sideways going over the railroad tracks once, that got his attention :lol: .
Karl

DON'T QUIT
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Did the cruise tuning session help?

I find it difficult to tune by myself and paying for someone in the right side seat is usually money well spent.

I hope to do another one next summer but with some dyno time included.
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Clonebug wrote:Did the cruise tuning session help?

I find it difficult to tune by myself and paying for someone in the right side seat is usually money well spent.

I hope to do another one next summer but with some dyno time included.
It definitely helped having a capable tuner in the passenger seat with me. On the dyno we varied the load through the cruise area and ended up with a rather rich cruise tune down in the lower rpms. It's just what the engine seemed to like better. Cruising above 3K is much easier to tune and freeway speeds its smooth as butter.

The most frustrating problem I still have is it bucks and jerks bad at times. Almost always very very light throttle application and also on closed throttle decel. I'm going to double check and possibly re-route my throttle cable to see if engine movement is effecting throttle movement at all. If I force my foot against the tunnel to stabilize my light throttle application it seems to smooth out or avoid the bucking altogether, sometimes. I drove it in 2 parades last night and learned to very very ...very gently apply throttle as I rubbed the clutch and kept it pretty smooth. I need a progressive throttle body or something, lol.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I had the same problem and we tuned it out with ignition and fuel.
Cruise at 25 and 35 mph in town at around 1800 rpm 2nd or 3rd gear was annoying to say the least.

I think we cranked the advance up to get rid of it.

Have Mario work on the tune in the map area while you drive.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

We where able to add timing, out to 50°+ and afr from 11- 16:1. It was just really happy at about 45 with 13:1. No misfires and really smooth.

I love your intercom Karl, that was priceless!
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

MarioVelotta wrote:We where able to add timing, out to 50°+ and afr from 11- 16:1. It was just really happy at about 45 with 13:1. No misfires and really smooth.

I love your intercom Karl, that was priceless!
:shock: :?

Was it that loud????
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Clonebug wrote:
MarioVelotta wrote:I love your intercom Karl, that was priceless!
:shock: :?

Was it that loud????
Small bay + open exhaust = Yeah, loud enough haha.

I was able to pull this frame from the video, kinda cool 8)

The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store