Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
GS guy

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by GS guy »

I hear you on the relay board! I'm going to run that extra circuit directly out of the MS case - probably right through the LED hole.
Running directly off one of the Hobbs switches seems like the best - least "nightmarish" - options in your case CB! Del City has some nice adjustable time delay relays available..... What's one more relay between friends?! :D
Jeff
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

GS guy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:50 am I hear you on the relay board! I'm going to run that extra circuit directly out of the MS case - probably right through the LED hole.
Running directly off one of the Hobbs switches seems like the best - least "nightmarish" - options in your case CB! Del City has some nice adjustable time delay relays available..... What's one more relay between friends?! :D
Jeff
I'll check that out since I have a rain day today!!!

Thanks!!!
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

GS guy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:50 am I hear you on the relay board! I'm going to run that extra circuit directly out of the MS case - probably right through the LED hole.
Jeff
At one point i cut the led holes into a db15 shape and added a few more connections that way. Mostly for ignition circuits at the time. But its still a decent option.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:09 am
Jeff
At one point i cut the led holes into a db15 shape and added a few more connections that way. Mostly for ignition circuits at the time. But its still a decent option.
Mario and I talked about doing that during my past winter upgrades but I decided to hold off. I might have to revisit that again if I get that deep into a winter project.
I do have to figure out whether I turn down the boost or upgrade the clutch........
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:46 am I do have to figure out whether I turn down the boost or upgrade the clutch........
This is my current conundrum. I have run 2 different disks and now two different pressure plates this summer. Nothing holds anymore. And I think i just broke the clutch tube inside the tunnel loose, again. Time to do something different.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Spent some time in the garage yesterday doing what I could while I wait for parts to arrive.

Started on the intake...

I ordered some 1 3/4" and 2" 90 bends since I need to reduce the intake size to give me a little more room and also increase the bend radius for fitment.

So while waiting I built a support for the intercooler....

At least now the intercooler sits pretty square to the world and at lest I can build the intake piping without have to worry about the supporting it.
I'm not sure if that support will be strong enough but I can always change from aluminum flat stock to steel flat stock if I need more strength.
With the 1 3/4 inch tubing I should get some support out of that I hope.

Tubing arrives today and the silicone connectors will probably get here Friday.... I hope.
Last edited by Clonebug on Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Don't forget to "break sharp edges per..." IOWs deburred your edges and (deep) clean the surfaces of the material before welding. :wink: :lol:

Looks like a good start. Still following your builds.

Not sure when I will be getting back up there again but I want to visit Grizzly to look at/buy one of their tools.

Lee

Addition: I almost forgot that there are some pre-shaped tubing that is available: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=te ... A9EF49F815 Its been a long time since I did any designs using tube (and it wasn't that much either).

When looking up potential existing made materials or designing our own there were a lot of things you had to consider or cover in the drawings especially when fluids or unrestricted air flow were involved (turbulence is not a vegetable :twisted: ). Don't forget to arc the end of the inserted joining tube either as I have seen that bit forgotten about until it was too late.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Clonebug wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:07 pm Image
Sure wish I had enough room in my engine bay for one of those. I'm about at my limit with having my decklid close and not using standoffs. I don't really appreciate the way standoffs look. Curious to find out how much additional boost you are able to run with just an air-air intercooler.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

kangaboy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 am
Sure wish I had enough room in my engine bay for one of those. I'm about at my limit with having my decklid close and not using standoffs. I don't really appreciate the way standoffs look. Curious to find out how much additional boost you are able to run with just an air-air intercooler.
I have been scheming on an intercooler for many years and grabbed this one from my brother's Son this past spring or summer. It looks like it might work and not look totally like crap.
I already have a slipping clutch at 23-24 lbs boost. If I can get my IAT's back down to ambient I can run less boost for more power and even cooler IAT's due to less heat made at the lower boost.
Denser air means being able to add more fuel which results in more power..... :wink:

For your setup you might want to look into a barrel style Water/Air intercooler.....the 4"X6" version is 11 3/8th inches overall in length and is good for 250 hp. Hide the tank, pump and heat exchanger under the car or behind the back seat and you are stylin'.......
Depending on your turbo position you might be able to fit it in.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

kangaboy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 am
I highly recommend the air to water approach in a full bodied bug. Sure, its not as simple as the air to air style. But they don't have to experience airflow to work. Just gotta pump it full of water. I have a large tank under the backseat, and a heat exchanger next to the torsion bar. My intercooler is not in the engine bay, I made the choice to poke a couple of holes in the firewall and stick the intercooler on the package tray. Works really well.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

My Tubing bends arrived from Mandrel-Bends.com and my Silicone connectors will be here tomorrow hopefully in early afternoon so then I can get to work finishing the intake.
I think the 1 3/4 inch bends will work the best and give me the room and tight radius I am looking for.

A little welding, some paint and it should be ready to go.

I will mod my Turbo when the Bracket shows which will probably be a week or so. :cry:
petew

Post by petew »

And then you'll have a real intercooler! Welcome to the 1970's! :lol:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

petew wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:23 pm And then you'll have a real intercooler! Welcome to the 1970's! :lol:
I'm way past the 70's.....I have an intercooler with plastic end caps...... :wink:

Besides....the 70's were lucky to get 8 lbs. boost.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

So can you not get enough of a drop just using water injection? I’m very interested to see how this turns out :)
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

andy198712 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:39 am So can you not get enough of a drop just using water injection? I’m very interested to see how this turns out :)
I already get a drop of 100 plus degrees at 24 lbs. boost just with the Water/Alcohol. My IAT's are at around 135-140 degrees right now at 80 degrees ambient. If I can get them back down to close to ambient I can either turn down the boost for the same power or get even more power...... :wink:
I am seeing 170 degree IAT's at 22 lbs. in the summer with a 100-110 degree cruise temp.
Even if it is only 40% efficient it will get my summer temps down to less than 100 degrees with the intercooler and water/alcohol combined....I could only dream of IAT's that low a year ago....
Getting the temps lower in the summer is the goal and this intercooler might do the trick since it was free and will only cost about $100.00 in parts to get it installed. Add another $35.00 for a fan and some cash to Mario for a ECU update/upgrade for fan control.....
I have an 8"X8"X4" core that I could put end tanks on the might work better but the cost would be significantly higher so I will test with this one and if it is successful I will have the other one built with connections that will work with my new intake.

I have about 15-20% DC left on my 45# injectors....... :wink:

I first have to upgrade my clutch to a Stage 2 to handle the extra power...... :cry: :cry: :roll: :lol: 8)