Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote:The oil temp sensor needs an analog too though. Unless you plan to use oil pressure for your clt signal.
I have one of Mario's updated CLT's on the #2 Cylinder tin bolt for warm up and the oil temp sensor was the old CLT. Both are the GM sensor.
I am going to monitor the yellow wire on both using the DPDT relay to switch between signals. The grounds will be tied together on the relay board hookup.
It might only be temporary but I want to see what my oil temps have been doing since I did the piston/spring swap and added the sandwich thermostat and cooler.
With those three temperature readings I hope I can get an even better tune.

EGT and AFR are the two analogs that will have separate inputs. That will fill my board and I will have no more spots.
I'll have to upgrade to the expansion board and possibly MS-3 to gain more analog inputs or else go to the Canbus.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Ah, I see. CAN stuff is a pretty good option. Though i am also a big fan of the ms3 option as well. If going CAN you could go with the tinyIOX and one of Mario's cool breakout boards and be in great shape, probably for less than the cost of an ms3.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Whatever it is using right now since I have always had a CLT. It is #18 or third from the far right.

It will still be CLT but reading oil temp instead of head temp when I flip the switch. Once I know the oil temp I will switch it right back but it will be reading on the same gauge in TS.
With MS-1 I had it set up to read oil temp as the warm up and that's how Mario had all his systems built until he came up with the new CLT for the cylinder tin connection.
I will run one yellow to #87 and the other to #87a on the relay....then hook back up to #18 on the relay board from the output on the relay.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Here are some pics of the switch and grommet I have added.

Here is a cheap switch I had gotten at a swap meet.

This grommet uses a 5/8ths inch hole and it is just big enough to push the EGT plug through it. I'll slice the grommet to get the wire through it or else push the sensor side through since it might fit the grommet.

Leftover wire from MS-1... I soldered some screw connectors on it and it will mount to the existing terminal I have for the coil signal and power wires.

petew

Post by petew »

Clonebug wrote:Not much going on in the Buggy upgrade department due to crappy weather and cold in the garage. Here is some of our wonderful weather we are having since we made it out to take the MIL out for lunch. She was getting cabin fever being all by herself.

This is the main north/south road going from Lynden to Bellingham.

This is the road right out of our development that gets the full brunt of the NE wind that blows this cold weather in from Canada.

Heading north back to town on SR 539 just south of town.

A view of the Raspberry field all iced up looking at Mt. Baker in the distance.

I did do a little brainstorming with Mario about how to get my EGT input to log on TS and I think we have something figured out.
I am also working on getting my original CLT sensor that is in the T3 oil filler position in the oil to connect to the ECU also.
I am going to run a second set of wiring to the front and hook the yellow wires to a DPDT relay and toggle between the two signals. That way I can check my oil temp once it warms up.
I have the toggle switch installed in my ever shrinking dash by the stereo already and I found a stash of the yellow/black wire left over from my MS-1 harness. I will add a third harness set with the second CLT and the EGT wires and run them along with the other two harnesses on the passenger side.
I drilled a hole in the pan and installed a grommet to accept the wires.

Earlier I got my spindles off the existing beam that is on the Buggy and I will be taking them down to Federal Way Saturday when My Brother and I go to the Puyallup Corvette and High Performance Swap Meet.
He is going to press out the bushings link and king bushings, install new king pin bushings and ream then reinstall the link pin bushings since they are in good shape yet.
I will be able to drop them off in the morning ...go to the Swap Meet ....and then pick them up on the way back saving me 4-6 hours of driving and the fuel to get there at about 120 miles each way.
Crazy stuff. Over here, the whole country are complaining about hot weather. Be 105degF today.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I would take your 105 degrees right about now.........It's raining and about 34 degree at this time and now tree branches are snapping off with the weight of the ice and snow on them.
Also, roofs are starting to collapse with all the wet snow that got drifted onto them with all the wind.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Almost 70°F here today. Super odd for this time of year. Usually looks like those photos.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Has the weather let up on you guys yet Clone? The iced branches are my favorite, it looks so cool.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Yep....snow is melting quickly.

On the way back from puyallup swap meet now.

Got my kingpins done and heads redone....:)
petew

Post by petew »

Was watching "when Harry met Sally", last night with my wife. I told her I'd like to live through a snowy winter at least once. She commented we'd been to England in the winter. Not really the same thing though. You probably think I'm crazy, but variety is the spice of life i guess. ;)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

There now is a lot of flooding on the left coast (I am sure it is the same in most other places where the snow pack was high and the storms were vicious). I think it was in CA where they used the safety features on one of the dams to dump excess water for the first time ever. RR tracks on the coast are having mud and rock slides while avalanches in the mountain passes have blocked/closed roads. A very formidable winter this year.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Clonebug wrote:Yep....snow is melting quickly.

Are these the "unsealable" big-valve heads CB? Inquiring minds want to know what it took to fix them!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

GS guy wrote:
Clonebug wrote:Yep....snow is melting quickly.

Are these the "unsealable" big-valve heads CB? Inquiring minds want to know what it took to fix them!
They are the same heads.

He did them by hand this time and used a different cutter with new teeth.

Looking closely at it he thought the cut had been off center just a hair the first time. It also looked like there was some rough cuts or slight chatter.

We will see.....I'm not positive that I will pull the engine apart to install these heads back on but you never know.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Update,

Since I have my King Pins redone it was time to fix my frontend.
I measured up the offset on the upper and lower arms and came up with 7.0mm on both sides. That makes it easy enough to shim at 5 shims per side on the top and bottom since the arms are from a 59 frontend.

I got the spindles installed, torqued and the caliper mount also installed.

I took the rotors into the local machine shop that did my rear rotors and had the studs installed.

Since there are thicker areas and a few webs it made it a little more involved for the machinist and he and I agreed that the holes needed to be spot faced to give clearance.

Once that was done I installed the races, greased up the bearings and installed the rotors onto the spindle.

What I found out was that these are ball joint rotors and they have a set of bearings that are king pin inner and ball joint outer bearing sizes. They say to use the existing thrust washers but they are way to large to fit so now I have to find myself a set of Ball Joint washers. :roll: :cry:

Also, the left side clamp nut they sent is a POS and doesn't seem to go on very straight so I am going to get a new one of them also.

On a good note when I installed the right side caliper it bolted right on without shimming anything. The existing brake hose works and it fits nicely.

I pulled the exhaust off the engine to re-weld my EGT bung since if it leaks it will be a PITA to get the EGT out again to weld when the buggy is put back together. My weld looks like crap......

My plan is to go to Monroe tomorrow if it works out and get my ECU modified for the EGT input and also have Mario tig up my EGT bung to make sure it won't leak.

Since I am so close to the engine being apart I just might have to pull the stock heads and re-install the DRD's.......
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Made a trio to Monroe, Wa. today and got my ECU upgraded to log my new EGT sensor.

I also had my EGT bung cleaned up and rewelded since my weld was a little questionable.

ECU is reinstalled in the buggy and my next job is to pull the engine back down and reinstall my DRD heads.

I'm getting fairly good at pulling and installing heads now........ :roll: 8) :lol: