Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug »

I got the clutch arm off tonight with the help of my Fab extraordinaire neighbor. He came over to look at the arm on the transmission to see what I needed and said he would take it with him. That was all well and good except it didn't want to come off until we got his torch and gave it a little persuasive heat and beat on it with a BFH.
Needless to say we won and it is going to be ready tomorrow night. He is going to make it 100 cm long so it should be just like the newer style ones that are NLA.
That should lighten my clutch pedal a little....... :wink:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Good thinking!
66brm

Post by 66brm »

100cm is a damn long throw out arm :wink:
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

66brm wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:41 pm 100cm is a damn long throw out arm :wink:
Should be super easy on the foot though!
buguy

Post by buguy »

How will you overcome the long arm to the clutch cable? I assume it would make the clutch cable too short? Turn it a bit?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

66brm wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:41 pm 100cm is a damn long throw out arm :wink:
Crap!!!!

100 mm long!!!

I must be getting old.....
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:58 am How will you overcome the long arm to the clutch cable? I assume it would make the clutch cable too short? Turn it a bit?
It only a little longer, stock cable works fine. I've had one of the real deal arms on mine since my first major re-do. I've run a stg3 clutch in the car since then as well, always felt lighter than a stg2 to my foot.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

I'm a little surprised no one has developed an aftermarket arm that utilizes a clevis style end that would work with a Heim-jointed end threaded onto the clutch cable (or hydraulic slave). Seems like less friction and smoother movement? I guess since this part isn't generally seen, it doesn't qualify for the "it looks good so should make it faster" dept.

.... well darn - I stand corrected:
http://moira.meccahosting.com/~a0008423 ... clevis.htm
:idea:
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

You got pictures Clone?
Better to be blown than to suck!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

viewtopic.php?t=117066

http://www.mooreparts.com/heavy-duty-cl ... smissions/

Art, did you check/"mike" the distance between the floor of the flywheel where the disc makes contact and the "rim" of the flywheel where the PP is bolted in place. That distance is critical. I think we talked about this before but I am not sure so....

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

rubenski wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:16 am You got pictures Clone?
Pictures of what???? :wink: :lol:

I'll post a few pics of the modified arm when I get it back tonight.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:31 am viewtopic.php?t=117066

Art, did you check/"mike" the distance between the floor of the flywheel where the disc makes contact and the "rim" of the flywheel where the PP is bolted in place. That distance is critical. I think we talked about this before but I am not sure so....

Lee
I did not measure the flywheel...it is an untouched flywheel as far as I know and all I did was scuff up the glazing on it.
Everything is nice and flat yet so I'm pretty confident that the PP just couldn't handle the power it was putting out. It's not a race car so if it doesn't perform well enough this way I'll just make an upgrade list for the next winter if I need to...... :wink:

The rains have passed and I need to get it back together to drive it..........
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I had to have one of mine done because of wear which can often end up with a taper to one side of the contact surface. From what I have been told machinist that are not into VWs (and other makes) that do use the step type flywheel might just finish the one surface but not both. Just a point of thought. Since I have ridden in your buggy a couple of times I know you are pretty careful with the clutch but still you are working well above that the car and parts were designed to handle. Good job sir, your meeting your goals and going beyond.

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I hope to take it to Spring Meet next weekend in Bellevue so I need to kick it in the rear.....
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I got the longer throwout arm installed......Here is a pic of the arm before lengthening.

Here is the longer arm installed.....

And all hooked up.....

Here is a pic of the untouched intake from running for the last year. The DRD intakes I ran before were so black they looked like exhaust ports.

These stock heads now have 12,000 miles on them just like the DRD heads did and these are spotless.