Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
madmike

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by madmike »

And those are stock ports folks,,
Here's some Hogged out ports,, not my work :wink: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The body is back on and bolted down........working on connecting all the wires up front.
I should have it finished soon and ready to test......if I get time to work on it.

The weather has finally changed for the better and it's not raining every day so I can maybe get a chance to drive it.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Good work, I'm in full on scramble mode on mine right now too. This nice weather is giving me some major spring fever!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:43 am Good work, I'm in full on scramble mode on mine right now too. This nice weather is giving me some major spring fever!
You putting the new engine together????
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:50 am
Chip Birks wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:43 am Good work, I'm in full on scramble mode on mine right now too. This nice weather is giving me some major spring fever!
You putting the new engine together????
Waiting for a couple parts, building some supporting equipment, using the big engine as a jig for now.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Buggy is back together and running.
I took it for a test drive and I thought the clutch was still slipping. I cussed and swore and went back home to have dinner.
I then took it for another test and I'm not really sure if it is slipping or not. It's pulling so hard I can't tell.
I'm going to let the clutch wear in a bit and seat itself before panicking. It still drives really nice and I'll at least try to take it to work for the week and also take it to SpringMeet if the weather cooperates.

I hit a max of 21.8 lbs boost and had IAT's of less than 70*F at that boost level. My IAT's are higher at cruise than when on boost!!!!!
Got to like that!!!!!
66brm

Post by 66brm »

Not slipping the tyres?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Might be time to set up a few goesintos for traction control...

Might need a mini-IOX or such on an MS2e, but the pain is $mall.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

enough free play on the cable too? pop some marker on the tyre and rim just to check that isnt spinning (doubtful)
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mileage, 89,900

I put some miles on the buggy taking it to work and back for the week since the weather was actually decent through Friday afternoon.

Of course it turned to rain again on Saturday so I took the Wife in her VW CC to the SpringMeet.....in the rain.

I have come to the conclusion that something is not right with the clutch. As soon as it hits full boost at 4000 rpm it slips and revs right to 5000 rpm.
It holds less than the clutch I took out.
I'm kicking myself for not putting a torque wrench to the clutch pilot mainshaft I have for alignment to test the old Stage I first....and then again testing the new Stage II after install.
I would have then at least had a baseline to compare the new clutch to and might have caught that something was wrong.

The only thing that could have possibly caused something was when we were trying to get the clutch arm off and possibly dislodged something when beating on the arm after heating it to slide it off the throwout shaft.

It doesn't even really feel right since it is too easy to push. I wouldn't think the long arm would lighten the pressure to push the clutch that much considering it pushes a LOT easier than the Stage I.

I'm trying to get the ambition together to pull it all apart again since the weather is gong to be wet for another day or so.I'm thinking I'll just go with a copperhead disc and go back to my stage I and call it a day.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

A longer lever should push/pull easier than a shorter one. Check the end play at your clutch pedal.

Again, if the flywheel had been turned before there is a good chance that the upper surface may not have been; that's what happened to me. If you take the engine out check that distance between the two surfaces is correct as it is very important. Also, the surface of the flywheel that the disc rides on: it could be polished or warped and also check for bluing or checking/crazing (minute surface cracks). Don't assume (breaking down the word assume: it makes an ass-out-of-you-and-me :wink: :lol: )

I know your engine gets the "GO" on real quick so everything has to be ready for it including the "stop" button. :lol:

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The flywheel is an untouched flywheel so it should be good.....emphasis on should...... :oops:

All I did was buff the glaze off it which shouldn't hurt any. It checked out perfectly flat with a straight edge.

That's why I put the new one i without worry because the old one was in perfect shape and flat......the Stage I was advertised to hold 180 ft lbs torque and was holding 200 so it made sense to me everything was in good shape.

We did beat on the throwout arm fairly hard trying to get it off so maybe that dislodged something and it isn't lining up anymore.
I am an hour into taking it apart and have about a half hour left before the body is ready to pull. A couple more wires, the seats and the bolts holding the body and it's lift off time.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:roll: You didn't break the transaxle casting housing where the cross shaft goes through or the fingers did you with all the whacking and smacking?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Four bolts and a few zip ties tomorrow and I'll be able to see the inside to see what's up.

We didn't whack it that hard...........we put heat onto the throwout arm to get it off.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hey Art, Once it's out try standing on it and see how easy it is to compress :wink: Kind of 'Redneck' way of testing I do :lol: