Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug »

So....Dyno numbers aren't good enough???........... :roll: :wink: :P

The only thing going down the track will show is how crappy of a race driver I am.......I've never been on a track before so I'm sure my times would suck.
All you have to do is look at my Dynolicious 3.13 second 60 fts. to see what kind of times I'd get........

The only thing it would prove is that I should own a trailer......... :oops: :cry: :cry:

It's a driver.......pretty dependable one too..... :wink:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

3.13 60ft :shock: :lol:
petew

Post by petew »

Clonebug wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:24 pm So....Dyno numbers aren't good enough???........... :roll: :wink: :P

The only thing going down the track will show is how crappy of a race driver I am.......I've never been on a track before so I'm sure my times would suck.
All you have to do is look at my Dynolicious 3.13 second 60 fts. to see what kind of times I'd get........

The only thing it would prove is that I should own a trailer......... :oops: :cry: :cry:

It's a driver.......pretty dependable one too..... :wink:
Words, words, words. Show me time slips or photos. :twisted:
bobkcbug2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
madmike

Post by madmike »

You can do like 'Mike' on my first pass with a BONE stock trans
just Granny Launch(leave on the last Yellow :wink: )and shifting :wink: :lol: :lol: number one rule is , " Have FUN"
13.02 @ 104 mph with 3 racked cylinders ( untuned 1915cc with 40 DOCE )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

or just keep driving it as you are and enjoy it and for go the stress of racing ;) or an i just boring lol
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

If You really want to know what it is capable of with good launch and good driver you can use any number of online calculators.......

Here is one.
The numbers to use are 1660 lbs. weight and 187-204 WHP depending on boost level.
This is the first one on a Bing search

https://robrobinette.com/et.htm

1660 lbs. and 204 whp gets me a 11.46 sec quarter mile at 116.33 mph.
1660 lbs. and 187 whp gets me a 11.80 sec quarter mile at 113.01 mph.

There are lots of others and they are within 0.2 seconds and about the same mph so we are looking at an ET of anywhere between 11.4-12.0 seconds....could be more or less depending on many factors....... :| :wink: 8)

It's only a number just like whp and if I scatter parts all over the place it really doesn't help the cause does it........ :wink:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's crazy. I had a 550 hp Pontiac and that's about what it would run.
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

Ya, and how much did that 550hp Pontiac weigh?
buguy

Post by buguy »

Just over 3000 pounds.
petew

Post by petew »

Clonebug wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:45 pm It's only a number just like whp and if I scatter parts all over the place it really doesn't help the cause does it........ :wink:
Yes it does. Coz rebuilds = UPGRADES! Yay! :D
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mileage, 91,162

I have been driving the Buggy to work and back since the weather has cleared but it hadn't really warmed up till this week. My wife and I took it for a 125 plus mile drive on the Fourth since we both were off for the Holiday. That is the first drive we have gone on together this year.

Since I was on my own today I decided to get a little maintenance done on the buggy.
I changed the oil and filter and put in some 20-50 Brad Penn I had on hand. It should be good for the warm summer days and I'll put the miles on and change it out before it gets cool in the fall if I can get the miles. I actually went 4000 miles on the oil change and the oil still looked pretty clean.

I also went and mixed up another batch of W/I fluid.

I mix it 50/50 by volume and call it a day. One gallon of each to keep it simple. It's been working great since the intercooler install and I'm at a consistent 24 lbs. boost right now with the boost controller at 77% duty cycle to keep it there.
(I hear rumor that someone is coming for me so I might have to use some more of that 23% DC reserve to stay up on that challenger..... :wink: :lol: 8) .)

I filled the WI tank back up and probably put in about 2 quarts....I went 750 miles and the low level light was blinking a little bit. I could have gone another 100-200 miles if I really had to but the light gets annoying so it's easier to just keep it filled.
I'm getting ready to head to the Burger Meet again on the 20th of July and I am taking the whole day off so I might go and ruin someone's productivity by buying him lunch and BS'ing about turbos and........well turbos....... :roll: :lol:

Anyone that makes it to Burger Meet and has an AC turboed vehicle will get a burger and fries on me if they find me.........So far I haven't had to shell out so let's see what happens this year.
I gave a coworker a ride in my buggy and of course on my first launch I had to miss 2nd gear......kind of ruined the video....... :roll: :shock:
I have another but it isn't through all four gears so the speedo doesn't go all the way past straight down.
He was pretty impressed I think.
I'll work on getting one uploaded to youtube.
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

Wow, oustanding milage on the W/I fluid! Just to be clear, are you injecting this before or after the I/C?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

CobraJet wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:56 am Wow, oustanding milage on the W/I fluid! Just to be clear, are you injecting this before or after the I/C?
Injecting after the IC.
Nozzle #1 is above the TB at 1.0 gph and activates at 4 lbs. boost.
Nozzle #2 is below the TB just above the Tee at 2.0 gph and activates at 9 lbs. boost.

Revving to 3500 will make it go into boost and you need even less throttle to keep it from going higher....and then you get 4-5 lbs. boost and the first nozzle will kick on.
You can't really tell you have a turbo if you stay below 3000 rpm but it does have plenty of acceleration driving that way. It just gives you that extra low end torque and it doesn't even have to go into boost. It would be interesting to see how it drives without the turbo but I'm too lazy to pull the turbo and test it....... :roll: :lol:
So that said....the water tank can last a long time but it all depends on how you drive it. When I drive to work every morning I just drive normally.....going home it's the same way because I'm usually tired and want to just get home.
I can also turn off the boost control and WI and drive anywhere on the 6.0 lb. stock wastegate. That allows me to have 112 whp and 133 lbs. ft. torque and never worry about detonation or water.

Most of the time I drive the buggy and shift at 3000 rpm and it is just like a normal engine that never goes above 100 kpa. That 100 kpa happens at less than 50% TPS so you basically get full throttle torque at half throttle due to the turbo helping push air almost right away.
In normal driving I can get 114 kpa at 2800 rpm and 52% TPS according to my most recent log file.
I see 100.5 kpa at 2136 rpm and 45.6% TPS.
The turbo is actually working almost right away but you get used to it so you don't realize it anymore.
Studying the logs will tell you what the turbo really does. That's one of the best things about FI and Megasquirt.....you can actually see what the turbo does and make changes to get even better results.

The above is what makes it a great street driver.......not to forget that at about 3600 rpm it is over 21 lbs boost and 23 lbs. comes on at about 3800 rpm. It is back to a sort of laggy feeling due to the difference between 12-15 lbs boost and when it hits 23-24 lbs. Shifting fast and banging gears will keep that from happening but you have to go all the way to about 5200-5500 rpm.
The intercooler is doing a fantastic job holding the IAT's down on boost along with the WI. I'm seeing 78* F. at 23.8 lbs boost in the month of June with cooler ambient temps. That is on a short boost run though.......
When the ambient temps get to 85* F. then the IAT's are around 107* F. at full boost.
Long boosted runs will raise the IAT's as everything gets heat soaked.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Posted a video going through the gears.....keep an eye on the speedo.....

The lights turning on below are.......in no particular order....red light=water level, Blue light=1.0 gph at 4.0 lbs boost, green light=2.0 gph at 9 lbs. boost.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/3Fpm3GtZhUQ[/BBvideo]
buguy

Post by buguy »

Man that thing drives nice and straight too! Hardly any input on the wheel at all!