Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug »

Good news...

I got off a little early today and took the Stage I off and then installed the Stage II with my original CB Super disc that I ran with the Stage I.
I shimmed it with some .031 shims and reinstalled it. Put the torque wrench to it and worked my way up from 170 ft. lbs torque all the way up to 250 ft. lbs. in 5 lb. increments. It held all the way......the torque wrench only goes to 250 ft. lbs. but I'm thinking that should be good enough getting a gain of almost 80 ft. lbs.
The engine is back in and all I have is the throttle cable and bumper to install and I can reinstall the body.
If I get some time tomorrow I might be able to give it the old 24 lb. boost test........ :wink: 8) :lol:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Good news!!!!
Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I have the body back on and all that's left is the turbo install and the two seats.

I won't be messing with it today due to other commitments so I might have it running late Monday night or else Tuesday will be the first evening I can work on it again......right in time for the rains to come back...... :cry: :roll:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mileage, 90,000

I got the buggy running Monday night......

I drove it to work Tuesday but ended up working late....late enough that the rains came back and I had to drive it home in the pouring rain..... :roll: :roll: :cry:

I never got a real chance to test the clutch until tonight when I took it to town for a couple errands. On the way home I punched it and went through three gears and up to 80 mph.......It pulls reallllly hard!!!!!!
The back suspension is all the way down and the front end seems to be all the way up and my head is pushed back.....It's pulling harder than it ever has. I'm not sure of the total boost yet since I didn't run a log but I did see 21.5 lbs. boost the other night when I logged it. That was only into third gear though.
I'll give it a full 4th gear run in the next couple days to see what the total boost is and if under 24 I might turn it up once just to try it.....

The clutch is a little different than the old Stage I so I need to adjust the engagement but otherwise it feels pretty good.

It does have a slight chatter in reverse but hopefully it just needs to wear in a bit.

Time will tell.

I'll get some miles on it if the weather stays nice.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

So it doesnt slip?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

No slipping.......
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Very nice! Making me jealous!
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Clonebug wrote:No slipping.......
So, problem solved.

Anything else left to do on the buggy this year?
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

wheelie.....
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

rubenski wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:03 pm
Clonebug wrote:No slipping.......
So, problem solved.

Anything else left to do on the buggy this year?
I could turn up the boost a little......... :wink: 8)

Other than that it runs pretty nice. I need to do a little re tuning since the intercooler seems to make it run a little richer in some areas but Autotune has taken care of some of that in the few drives I've done this spring. I cruise to work at about 14.9-15.5 AFR at 60 plus mph and it purrs along.
It has great boost at lower arpm's when accelerating and I can see 6-8 lbs at half throttle up to 3500 rpm.
At 1/3 throttle leaving from a stop and going up to 40 mph it shows an instant 100 kpa so you basically have full throttle with very little pedal movement at under 3000 rpm.....It makes for really nice torque compared to a N/A engine.
I think the TD04L-13T is almost the perfect turbo for a 1679-2000cc engine....depending on your hp goals of course, but for up to 270 hp it can supply enough CFM to make those engines sing. The bigger the engine the more insta-boost you get but you are limited to the 270 hp.
There is a compressor wheel and housing mod sold by ARD that will increase the flow to 350 hp but it takes about 300 more rpm to get the boost.

http://www.ardideas.com/TD04-19T-Conver ... 11.html#qa

For someone like Chip that has a target hp of 350 it would do the trick or if you have a bigger engine it would be a great match.

The clutch will take a little getting used to with the longer arm. It takes a longer stroke of the clutch pedal to get disengagement and it has a slight chatter. It is no longer a grandma car....... :oops: :roll:
I just need to adjust the free play to minimum to shorten the throw just a tiny bit so my leg throw matches it in my current seating position.

I'll get there......that's the price to pay when you want performance instead of just a nice driver..... :oops:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

With that longer clutch throw in that tiny car I would get a mouth guard to protect your teeth ! :twisted:

Sounds good so far.

Lee
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

Clonebug wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:41 am
I think the TD04L-13T is almost the perfect turbo for a 1679-2000cc engine....depending on your hp goals of course, but for up to 270 hp it can supply enough CFM to make those engines sing. The bigger the engine the more insta-boost you get but you are limited to the 270 hp.
Sound perfect, how fun! What vehicle is this turbo from and what years?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

CobraJet wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:38 am
Clonebug wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:41 am
Sound perfect, how fun! What vehicle is this turbo from and what years?
It's a MHI TD04L-13T from a 2002-2007 Subaru WRX/Forester
The part number you need to look for is 14412AA360.
In my build somewhere there is reference to a clocking bracket that allows you to point the outlet nozzle up 70 degree to fit the Intercooler I have but otherwise the turbine inlet is clocked at 6 o'clock and the compressor outlet is at 3 o'clock looking at the compressor inlet.

There is also a turbo with a part number of 14412AA560 that is almost identical that would probably work too.

I just sold one of my spares for a price I couldn't resist so I'll now be on the hunt for a cheap replacement....... :wink:
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

I have the same turbo to be installed next winter
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

The only thing holding me back on a turbo like that is that wonky Subaru flange. It would prolly be worth looking into getting some kind of adapter in it though.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build