Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
rubenski

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by rubenski »

Hope u dont mind me posting this but Mario had it up his facebook page

Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

OK.....

Here we go.

First video is the base line pull at 6.0 lbs. on stock wategate setting and no W/I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmNpKktEpso

Second video is one of the best pulls after adding some timing due to such low intake temps at around 70 degrees F.
All we could get was 20.5 lbs. boost for some reason. The Dyno wouldn't load it hard enough to go to the 23-24 we wanted to hit so hp is down from what I was hoping for.
It could have been the clutch slipping too but for whatever reason it was, I had to be happy with this.

Fuel was pretty good except one area that we lowered just into the second VE map when coming into boost. Watch the AFR's on the dyno screen....it holds pretty nicely all the way through........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed0MnVseN_I

All in all a great day.
It didn't even seem to bother it making all those pulls......I'm pretty happy with the results. :wink: :oops:
Mario did 18 pulls and he saved logs of just about every pull. I didn't get them but maybe he can post a few of them up.
Last edited by Clonebug on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Man thats awesome.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Turbo!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Look at that sumbitch squat!!
petew

Post by petew »

Congrats! That's fantastic. Man, it must have been cold driving up there. What was the air temp?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I cheated and towed it behind my truck......πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜šπŸ˜†
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Were making pulls in 3rd or 4th gear? My last session with Mario we did all 3rd gear pulls, 4th was just too tall for full pulls and I don't think my tires were rated for that mph. So we hit the highway with an extra dude in the back seat and found some detonation in 4th, had to pull a little timing out as boost built to keep from rattling the pistons. I'm guessing you were in 3rd gear and 4th might have given you that extra ~3psi?

Edit: just read you already thought about this :wink:
Karl

DON'T QUIT
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I wish we could have gotten 3 more lbs of boost.....😫😚😎
buguy

Post by buguy »

That sucks. Now you are always going to wonder....
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

buguy wrote: ↑Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:10 pm That sucks. Now you are always going to wonder....
Well....We can always do some math.......follow along.

6 lbs. boost made 112 whp.......20.5 lbs. boost made 187 whp. 187-112=75 whp.
20.5 lbs.- 6.0 lbs.= 14.5 lbs to make 75 more whp.
75 whp/14.5 lbs.= 5.17 whp per lb. of boost.
5.17 whp X 3.0 lbs. boost = 15.51 whp

So.... 187 whp plus 15.51 whp hp equals 202.51 whp
Add 20% for driveline losses and you get another 40.5 hp
202.51 plus 40.5
That adds up to be 243 crank hp.

Not too far off my target of 250 hp......... :wink:

If you look at the dyno runs that engine didn't seem to even be breaking a sweat.
We did 18 pulls in a little over an hour..... not a pop....backfire or hiccup on any pull.
I have every one of them on video but once you've seen one pull you pretty well have seen them all.....there is nothing really exciting about them.

What I found interesting was watching the AFR's on the big screen and seeing how steady they hold on the pull.......pretty amazing really.
Another amazing thing was the IAT's never got over 70 degrees F. on the pulls. The WI and cool air was really working out well for it.
OAT was probably around 38-40 Degrees. F. Maybe 45 degrees in the shop.....
Water/Alcohol fluid temp was probably the same.....those two things were really helping keep IAT's down.
Along with the ECU compensating for air density it really ran well.
Well enough to raise the ignition advance from 19 degrees to 23 degrees at full boost.
Every time we added advance we gained more torque on the next run.... so any dip in the graph we added some advance to take it out........it worked wonders.

It was definitely a learning experience......and education is never free....... :roll: :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Man that controllability would be nice!
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

A quick screen grab from the last pull. See what I am noticing Art? Was the throttle all the way open? Time to investigate :P
graph.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

MarioVelotta wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:59 am A quick screen grab from the last pull. See what I am noticing Art? Was the throttle all the way open? Time to investigate :P

graph.png
I probably have to do a recalibrate on the TPS. I haven't done that in a long time.
When I built the intake and the new throttle pedal I spent a fair amount of time making sure I got full throttle with the cable.
If anything I might not have pulled it tight enough when I installed the engine last time. I didn't want tension on the throttle shaft all the time.

It probably isn't too big a deal except when trying to put out as much power as possible on a dyno........ :oops: :D
I'll make sure it's tight when I reinstall the engine after my winter upgrades........... :wink:

Look at those EGT's and the MAT!!!!!! I love it!!!!
A max of 73 Degrees F. compared to what I usually see in the summer at 170 Degrees F.
Look at the drop when the water kicks on and how long it holds it down......pretty neat.

I have to say that intercooler is paying for itself.........
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

CB - how did you end up actuating the IC fan? Hobbs switch as you planned? Pulling or pushing the air through the IC?
Jeff
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

GS guy wrote: ↑Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:42 am CB - how did you end up actuating the IC fan? Hobbs switch as you planned? Pulling or pushing the air through the IC?
Jeff
I ran it off the Hobbs for the few times I tried it with our weather this time of year. It started at 4 lbs. and shut off when boost was gone.

My trip to Mario was a fan control upgrade on the ECU so now I can control by boost, temp or any other variable I desire plus leave it run according to temp or time.
I have to wire it from the relay board yet but it's too cold in the garage to bother right now so I just stay warm in the house.

I have it pushing down through the intercooler since the air is cooler up top.
So far, as you can see from the dyno log...it is working out very well and I am thrilled with my IAT's considering it only cost me about $140.00 in parts to do this upgrade.
Getting IAT's of 73* F. at full boost was only a dream I thought.