Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: Safari Turbo Project

Post by Clonebug »

Well,

I am now running on MS 1.
It is running pretty nice but I seem to have a problem with the tach gauge on Tunerstudio.
I am running my Sunpro tach off of pin number 2 from the Edis module and it is working fine and reading correct.
The problem is that the tach gauge in TS is reading half the speed of the Sunpro tach on my steering column.
My guess is that all the timing settings are base on the TS gauge rpm settings and I am not getting the correct timing when I drive.
Would anyone know what I would have to change in TS to make those two tachs read the same.
I don't dare push the engine too hard without knowing if the advance is working correctly..

Thanks for any replies.

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I have an update,

I figured out my tach problem and it ended up being a setting in the Basic Settings/Engine Constants 1 tab.
It was set to 8 cylinders instead of 4 cylinders. That was giving me my half speed reading!!
It took me a while to find it but I have only seen this program for 4 days and used it two times.
I have a lot of learning to do and right now I will use the map that Mario put in the ECU.
I can't test it right now since it is dumping rain AGAIN!!!!

I let it warm up and the idle advance seems good and when I rev it up it shows a nice track.
I will put up the advance table when I test drive it or else I will try a Data Log run when the weather turns nice.

I can't wait to get this thing tuned and push some boost thru it!!

Here is a little video of a start up and idling on warmup.

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r173 ... I_2772.mp4

I suck at the internet... I have to post a link.

Clonebug
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

CB, did the flat spots disappear?

Guys, I have had the pleasure of riding in CB's Safari bodied buggy twice now and adding the turbo was a big change. It starts and idles smoothly, pulled very smooth and very nicely off idle but, at the time I rode in it, it still had a couple of flat spots which I am sure that will get taking care of. I expected it to be noisy (turbo whine) but it really was quiet. The exhaust did snap and pop with foot off the gas decelerating while in gear and I did hear the pop-off valve once… or twice..., fun stuff! :D

Now, some cable and wiring clean-up to be done and off to the next project.

Good job CB, it's got me interested for sure.

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

It's been pissing rain all afternoon and night so I can't test it...

Maybe tomorrow evening you can have your good glasses on and I will pick you up and we will see what it will do..:)

Clonebug
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I didn't bring my waders or water wings with me so we will have to open up the drain holes in the pan. The weather guessers think that the rain may get more transparent at times tomorrow. Not normal weather patterns for the NW sun belt is it. :lol:

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Update,

I was able to take the buggy out for a test drive and I have to say that I am impressed with the way this combo performs even though it is not fully tuned yet.
My buddy Ol Foggy was in the area vacationing so he was fortunate enough to get to ride along with me.
I think it impressed him enough that it has peaked his interest in turbos......Well enough that I gave him some reading material to keep him busy for a while. :wink:
Off idle response is very nice and half throttle acceleration is very impressive!!!
If I go to full throttle there is a flat or lean area and it wants to sag a bit. I have to let up on the gas a bit and then it will pull hard. I am going to order a few more main jets to see if that is what it needs.
If I drive it like a white man and just do a normal take off it is just the sweetest drive I have ever had with any carb setup. My Kadrons never had this response to them.
All I have to do at cold start up is bump the throttle to high choke and hit the key. I starts instantly and idles at 1200 to 1300 rpm. If I leave it alone it will idle like that until full warmup and you can watch the choke cam just rotate all the way to full off.
Steady speed driving is rock solid up to 60 mph and you do not have to move the throttle pedal at all to keep it there. No searching or hunting for rpm at any time.
I have not tried it any faster yet
If all I do is push it hard enough to get 2 lbs boost this engine is just a pleasure to drive. It might not be a 12 second car but it is still going to be a fun ride.
I have not pulled much boost in third gear due to the sag I need to work on but once that is corrected this car is not going to be a slug I can tell.
The engine I am using is a Samba special stock 1600 DP and it has nothing special done to it at all.
All in all I am pretty thrilled and I can't wait to get it running better.
I am going to have to do something about my exhaust though. It is going to be way to loud for any high speed or long distance cruising. It sure is fun for in town driving though. :lol:
Once I learn more about the MS 1 and how to adjust stuff I will be more than thrilled with my setup.
I did a little adding up of parts and I would say that so far this setup has cost me around $800.00 for MS 1 and turbo.
It might be a little more if I add all the little trips to Ace Hardware for the small handfuls for nuts, bolts and screws that I bought along the way.
I need to buy stock in that store!!!

Clonebug
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

CB came over to where wifie-poo and I are staying and took me for another ride, now that he solved some of the minor problems with the tubo setup. He had “his sounds” on (not too bad either) for a minute and, although the weather was not what I would call top down weather (he has no top to put up that is) we had a nice cruise.

The ride was as typical as you would get in a short (80 inch) wheel base car, smooth but clipped (I have never rode in one that didn’t have this ride but I am trying to get some of it out of my buggy), the steering is precise and turns quickly… goes where you aim it, but it was the performance was the difference. Even with a stock 1600 DP with a single Pict 34, when he lightly put his foot into the loud pedal you got pushed back into the seat; not the push back you would be expecting when the secondary’s opened and all hell broke loose in an over engined car but a very comfortable push back that was a very strong and very smooth acceleration push back, something that a wife would like which translates to a very streetable engine. It starts easily, idles smooth, and has the necessary power for nice all around driving. Like he said, it still has a couple of flat spots in it but I would suspect they are going to minor things to work out.

The exhaust noise is not what I would call excessively loud, even with the very short pipe it has on it; is what the big city police would consider very close to the limit but the officers would probably be more interested in just viewing the car that busting if for sound (I hear music much louder that that). You don’t hear the exhaust that much when at cruising speeds; just enough to let you know that the engine is still running without having to look at the tach.

I am impressed with what CB has done to his buggy and I am even more impressed with what the turbo can do to a small stock engine (he leant me several books to read on the subject). I got to do some reading in the one about turbo’s last night and one of the things that they talked about is over turboing an engine. From what I can see, CB has chosen his components wisely and has a very impressive ride (can you tell I had fun).

As we were heading back to where wifie-poo and I are staying, the clouds started to open up, a light mist/drizzle, you know typical NW weather, but the mist was getting progressively worse. I hope CB didn’t get too wet going home. I really appreciated him coming over to take me for a ride.

FWIW, I would highly recommend a conversion like this for a very nice streetable rig.

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Update,

I got off work a bit early today so I went out in the garage and decided to mess with the buggy for a bit.
I had an idle jet that was one size bigger,(I think it is a 55 idle.) So I decided to swap it out and try to adjust my carb .

I ran into a slight problem with the spot that I mounted my Edis Coil at and now I can't get my screwdriver into the carb adjustment screw to adjust the carb!!!
I headed off to the auto parts store to see if I could find a new tool for carb adjusting and a nice junction box to fit my rat's nest of wiring into.

I looked at a truck/trailer junction box but it seemed way to big. The parts guy is looking for a better size for me and will let me know tomorrow if he had any luck with a better choice.
I searched the tool shelf and found a solution to my carb adjust problem. I found a $6.00 Flex screwdriver that is used for the old chevy distributors and modified it to hold a small screwdriver bit. :wink:
Now I can adjust my carb without having to move my Coil.!!!!! Yeah!!!!
After the adjustment I took it for a drive and I think that the new idle jet has made a small amount of improvement. At 1/3 throttle the response is very smooth and peppy. The engine will go to zero lbs. vacuum and with a bit more throttle will go to 2 lbs. boost with no sag or leanness. There is enough boost to activate the blow off when shifting.
I am waiting for a few more main jets and I am fairly confident that one of those will help my sag.

If not I am going to adjust some of the timing perimeters to see if that helps.

Stay tuned for more action.... 8)

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Update,

Did a little spark map tweaking.

Made my rpm range from 500 rpm to 5500 rpm and my kpa range from 30 kpa to 175 kpa.

filled the spark range in to be at 32 degrees at 3000 rpm at 60 to 100 kpa and then progress down to 24 degrees by 130 kpa

I took it for a nice little 10 mile drive in a range of conditions and I have to say it runs pretty nice at light to mid range throttle settings.
I can get to 5 lbs boost easily in second gear with 3/4 throttle and it pulls nice. Any more throttle and it wants to sag yet so I will have to try a 170 main.
That is on its way and I hope to try it by mid week.

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

As of now I am waiting for some main jets to show up which should be here by mid week.
I have not stopped driving it since it runs so nice if I drive and shift it according to the VW speedo.
That brings me to about one third throttle and 3000 rpm every shift and it runs absolutely wonderful. It is just a pleasure to drive and very responsive to any input of throttle up to half throttle pedal.
I put in 5.5 gallons of 92 octane and I am checking my mileage at this time. I have about 125 miles on the tank right now and it is showing over 1/4 tank left. This is going to put me at an easy 30 mpg and that is 5 mpg better than I ever got with my Kadrons. I always averaged 26 mpg on the dual carbs.
I don't baby this thing either. I do like to let it build 5 lbs. boost coming out of the roundabouts we have on the highway to and from work.. 8)

I am now pushing over 500 miles on the turbo setup with MS1 and EDIS and there has not been one hiccup yet.
I am running my own spark map and hope to do a bit more tuning once the new jets come in.
I want to work on the cruise advance and see if I can squeak the mileage out of it.

Stay tuned for more....

Clonebug
maxyray

Post by maxyray »

Very interesting. Great thread. Keep it up.
:)
Thanks
Max
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Well,

Did I ever get spanked on the mileage thing. :oops:

Here I though it was just sipping gas and I was going to kill the mileage thing and boy did I figure wrong!!1

I just checked my mpg and if I got it right I only came out at 22.85 mpg.... :roll: Am i a heel or what !!!

I will have to check it again in case I put too much gas back in it since I don't go to the top of the tank.

On to the good stuff.

I did a little bit of datalogging again and set it up to record spark, boost, rpm, map and I think inlet air temp if that is what "MAT" is.

here is a screenshot of the short instant of 10 lbs. boost I found..... I have not seen it over 8 lbs before so I am getting a little too brave......

It is interesting that I only use about half to 2/3 throttle to get to that and very seldom rev it this hard. I wanted to get a log to see how my spark map was doing and I think I see some adjustments that I will have to make.
I am going to change the spark map to more suit my driving habits and try to get it to match the boost the turbo will put out.

I figured the wastegate would pop at 8 lbs, but I am obviously wrong on that point.

I pulled a plug after driving today to check the overall condition and it seems that the last threaded part has a little black soot on it but the ceramic center is fairly white and very clean.
That seems to point to the fact that it is still a little lean at times and I need to take care of that.
If I can figure out how to post a log file I will do that if anyone cares to check it out.

Clonebug
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Clonebug, your mileage will probably stay down until you get over feeling the new found power source that you have unlocked. :D I am still impressed with what you have done: both the fabbing and the outcome.

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Hey thanks Lee,

I am quite surprised that it is going to 10 lbs. and getting there quite easily. I just wonder what it will do when I can open the throttle wide open and hold it there.
That will be scary yet exciting!!!

I just checked the USPS tracking and my jets will be here today......Stay tuned for more action!! :wink:

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Jets have arrived.

I have installed the 170 main and will be testing right after dinner.

Stay tuned....

Art