Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
petew

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by petew »

You've reminded me I need to get my spare beam out of the weather. ;)

Looks like you're making good progress. :)
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote:Nice work! Good to see one of us moving forward with a project this winter! Why did you choose #2 for the probe? Are you connecting the probe to your PLX, or the MS2? I did a spindle to spindle beam setup in my car last year, lots of fun. Car drives nicer now! You'll love the 4 wheel discs!
I put the sensor on number two due to it being the easiest to run the wire and also the only port with good clearance for the sensor.

As for the beam the messy part is coming when I pull the arms out and clean up all
The 50 yr old grease out of it......
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: I put the sensor on number two due to it being the easiest to run the wire and also the only port with good clearance for the sensor.
Definitely makes sense!
Clonebug wrote: As for the beam the messy part is coming when I pull the arms out and clean up all
The 50 yr old grease out of it......
I reused my springs and trailing arms, but that was it. Same gross problem though, nasty OLD grease, and tons of it!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

There isn't much else you can do until you get the worst of the grease scraped off then a good heavy duty wire wheel works but does fling grease around so wear one of those cheap plastic rain things you can buy for almost nothing and a perimeter fence made out of a drop cloth or two.

The rain gear keeps the wife's washer and drier more grease free and you out of some trouble. Also be sure to wear eye and face protection if you use a wire wheel. Lacquer thinner also comes in handy, that is until you start to pull the innards out.

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Well.....all my beam work was for naught....... :cry: :roll:

As I was finishing the final wire brushing after the two adjusters had been welded in I was looking closely at the beam and thought......WTH!!!!
It looked like it was bent!!!! I thought it was my progressive glasses that made it look that way and I was sure I had checked it a year ago and found it to be straight!!!!!
Nope.....a 1/4 inch bend in the right side..........Oh Well......

I am just going to pull my spindles and link pins off the mounted beam and get the king pins replaced on that.

What a PITA finding out after all that work!!!! :roll: :cry: :oops: :evil:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Maybe the welding caused it to pull? What about trying to straighten it? Know anyone with a hydraulic press? :idea:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I did one section at a time to keep it from pulling. I can see the bend after the beam mounting area now that I look closely at it.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The beam i pulled out of my car after driving on it for 8 years looked exactly like you described. I had no idea until last spring when i pulled it apart. The car never tracked funny or anything.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote:The beam i pulled out of my car after driving on it for 8 years looked exactly like you described. I had no idea until last spring when i pulled it apart. The car never tracked funny or anything.
I could probably just run it this way since wheel alignment can be adjusted with the tierods.

I might just go for it anyways. I can do it either way since I have a full set of extra arms and spindles and could just swap beams if it was a problem.

The beam I am running has had the worn Kingpins in it for 12 years and I have never had a real issue with the driving of the buggy. I just wanted to get it right since I am putting the new discs on it.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

I bet a 20T press would make quick work of that "little" bend! Seems like it would be a royal PITA to get the torsion leaves installed and trailing arms back in with a bend like that. Hard enough with a straight beam! :?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Not much going on in the Buggy upgrade department due to crappy weather and cold in the garage. Here is some of our wonderful weather we are having since we made it out to take the MIL out for lunch. She was getting cabin fever being all by herself.

This is the main north/south road going from Lynden to Bellingham.

This is the road right out of our development that gets the full brunt of the NE wind that blows this cold weather in from Canada.

Heading north back to town on SR 539 just south of town.

A view of the Raspberry field all iced up looking at Mt. Baker in the distance.

I did do a little brainstorming with Mario about how to get my EGT input to log on TS and I think we have something figured out.
I am also working on getting my original CLT sensor that is in the T3 oil filler position in the oil to connect to the ECU also.
I am going to run a second set of wiring to the front and hook the yellow wires to a DPDT relay and toggle between the two signals. That way I can check my oil temp once it warms up.
I have the toggle switch installed in my ever shrinking dash by the stereo already and I found a stash of the yellow/black wire left over from my MS-1 harness. I will add a third harness set with the second CLT and the EGT wires and run them along with the other two harnesses on the passenger side.
I drilled a hole in the pan and installed a grommet to accept the wires.

Earlier I got my spindles off the existing beam that is on the Buggy and I will be taking them down to Federal Way Saturday when My Brother and I go to the Puyallup Corvette and High Performance Swap Meet.
He is going to press out the bushings link and king bushings, install new king pin bushings and ream then reinstall the link pin bushings since they are in good shape yet.
I will be able to drop them off in the morning ...go to the Swap Meet ....and then pick them up on the way back saving me 4-6 hours of driving and the fuel to get there at about 120 miles each way.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

You got the weather way worse than we did! The ice field looks really cool :)
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Are you looking into a CAN device for those added inputs? Or does the ms have enough?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote:Are you looking into a CAN device for those added inputs? Or does the ms have enough?
We think we have one more analog input that we can use.

I'll make a road trip this week if the weather is good and have Mario mod the ECU for the EGT analog input.
That will fill my relay board terminal strip since the last open one was for table switching but I use Kpa to switch instead of a switch.
A little solder work will Fix that and Mario is the expert to handle that.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The oil temp sensor needs an analog too though. Unless you plan to use oil pressure for your clt signal.