Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Clonebug »

Took it out for another 45 mile drive and the Wife even came along. Ran Autotune for most of the trip but never really got into the boost.
It's running pretty nice but the VE map is still kind of messy with a lot of the areas not touched by the tune.
I have been smoothing it a little to help it along but it should be good enough to drive to work tomorrow morning if the rain stays away.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
BergRace

Post by BergRace »

Anyone else having trouble navigating the forum now? The 'Next' function is missing from the page count so I'm stuck here on page 122. Tried a couple of different web browsers but no go.
Last edited by BergRace on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Yes, same here. Some strange stuff...
Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Doc is working on it.
Hopefully he will have it fixed soon.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mileage, 84,137

I put 135 miles on the buggy so far this week and now the rain has come back with a vengeance. Yesterday I had to drive home from work in the rain so I got a little wet........:(

So far the buggy runs pretty good but in my haste to get home out of the rain I hit the overboost cut again and it wasn't even fully revved out. Seems it hit at around 4000 rpm or earlier again......I tell you..... when it cuts the engine backfires and just blah.......
I had lowered the Duty Cycle on the EBC from 67% down to 65% but it still kicked in early. I'll have to drop it way down until I see a drastic cut in max boost and then work back up from there.
It pulls really hard and I can't wait to give it the full test.
Wet roads are NOT the place to be trying it though.........

I'm off to the Portland Swap Meet in the morning to see if I can find something I didn't know I needed. Who knows....there might be treasures awaiting........:)

Back on Saturday..........
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Cant you just manualy set some overboost protection? Would be a lot safer.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

rubenski wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:26 am Cant you just manualy set some overboost protection? Would be a lot safer.
I have an EBC....It's just a matter of cutting the Duty Cycle down enough. I thought it was just barely hitting but apparently it is putting out a lot more boost with the stock heads on vs. the 40X37.5 heads.
Either the DRD heads leaked or there is more resistance on the stockers.

I'll take out 15% the next time to see what boost I get.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

:-) what works for you works for me!
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Clonebug wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:51 am
rubenski wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:26 am Cant you just manualy set some overboost protection? Would be a lot safer.
I have an EBC....It's just a matter of cutting the Duty Cycle down enough. I thought it was just barely hitting but apparently it is putting out a lot more boost with the stock heads on vs. the 40X37.5 heads.

I think it may be time to setup closed loop boost control for you Clone. Then you can just set the KPA target and let the ECU do the DC number crunching.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

MarioVelotta wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:53 am
Clonebug wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:51 am

I think it may be time to setup closed loop boost control for you Clone. Then you can just set the KPA target and let the ECU do the DC number crunching.
ill send you an .msq and have you work on that in you spare time....
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Clonebug wrote: ill send you an .msq and have you work on that in you spare time....
It's just a couple settings. We can start with the basic control to begin with.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
Facebook-Tech-Store
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I survived another Swap Meet excursion and came home with a few items.

Scored a spare TD04L-13T turbo for a good price.....

Found some wiper blades for the buggy to replace the rotted ones that have been there for show only.....
Picked up some hardened axle spacers and axle nuts for spares.......
Picked up another headlight dimmer relay....

I got talked into buying a cutting wheel for my 4 1/2 inch grinder that is pretty cool. It was a little spendy but the good outweighed the high price.
It will cut and grind and is lifetime guarantied. It makes very little sparks and there is no material lost off the blade as you cut.
The guy had some really cool stuff and we bought from him.

Picked up a supply of 6mm and 8mm metric bolts, nuts and washers bought by the pound. Much cheaper than Ace Hardware.....
Also picked up some 1/4 inch flat washers and some 8-32 screws and nuts.

Found two junk distributors for Mario......

Also got some other misc stuff but nothing big.

Passed on a bare beam and transmission due to it's too far to carry the crap to just store in the already full garage.

Walked a total of about 13 miles in 2 full days.
Weather was crap yesterday but luckily we were at the Expo grounds which had buildings to walk through during the rain.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mileage 84,143

Took the buggy out for a short ride after adjusting the DC on the EBC down from 67% to 55%.
It still hit 22.5 lbs. boost at 3700 rpm but did stop going up from there.
That is quite a change in Duty Cycle vs the other heads. Everything else is the same.
It pulls like a freight train but I never timed the run and had to let off with just a short pull in 4th due to catching a car.

Once the weather gets a little better I might be able to get some time in it but it looks like rain again for Monday for sure.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Send me that msq!
Clonebug wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:28 pm Mileage 84,143

Took the buggy out for a short ride after adjusting the DC on the EBC down from 67% to 55%.
It still hit 22.5 lbs. boost at 3700 rpm but did stop going up from there.
That is quite a change in Duty Cycle vs the other heads. Everything else is the same.
It pulls like a freight train but I never timed the run and had to let off with just a short pull in 4th due to catching a car.

Once the weather gets a little better I might be able to get some time in it but it looks like rain again for Monday for sure.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
Facebook-Tech-Store
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mileage, 84,298

I now have just under 300 miles on and with the crappy weather we have been having it's going to be a challenge to get a lot of miles on in the next few weeks. It's calling for rain for the next 10 days.
Mario sent me a *.msq with the closed loop boost control activated. I tried it a couple times and it holds the boost from hitting the hard cut and peaks at 20 lbs. with an oscillation of 2.0 lbs down to 18.0 lbs. Not bad for start without being in the buggy......Thanks Mario!!!!

I'll do a little adjusting once I get a little more time in it but I have been just driving to work and back or else taking the Wife out on drives. Not really conducive to tuning the higher map areas at speeds above 60 mph........
It's still really rich on high load areas at 10.6:1 but I changed the filter on Autotune so it will cut fuel in the boost areas......

Once I get a decent day I will give it another try.

Since the weather has been iffy I dragged my rollbar out and gave it a sanding and a quick repaint with some satin rattle can paint to cheer it up.
I got it installed and also put the top on so I can now say the buggy is cosmetically finished for now..... :roll: :wink: :D

Grrrrrr....It won't allow me to post PB pics again........ :roll: :?
Finished 4-23-17.jpg
As for the front brakes......They are finally giving me a good pedal.
When I tried them I got a good pedal but after a 100 miles I noticed the pedal would go down and then after a couple braking stops would be good. Then the next time it would be down again.
When my wife and I went for a drive last Sunday she heard some scraping noise on her side so after listening carefully on a couple left hand corners I could hear it too.
Took the right front wheel off and the stinking wheel had a bunch of play in the bearings!!!!!! The three bolts with a split lock washer that hold the caliper bracket on would rub just a tiny bit on the hub so I pulled it all apart and put thin wavy washers on instead to gain a little more clearance. That fixed that issue but the bearings were pretty loose......enough that I could move the hub.....I thought WTH!!!!
I took it apart and checked but the bearings were good so I re-tightened them again and reassembled. I also shimmed the caliper with a supplied shim to get it a little closer to center.
I went to the left side and that bearing was also loose. I had already put the wavy washers on that side and it was shimmed well already so I just tightened the bearings again and put the wheels back on.
I'll have to pay close attention to the front end to see if it happens again.
Overall I'm not really impressed with these brakes as far as install goes but they sure haul the buggy down from speed and I have the best pedal I have ever had since I built the buggy.
I guess I can't expect too much for the money I spent but time will tell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Clonebug on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.