Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by buguy »

I don't know. I would guess if you made 200 hp at 5200 rpm, turning it to 7000 should make an extra 75-100 hp. And if you could find that extra 3 psi of boost you might get over that 300 hp mark.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Hmmmm, I wonder if you might then find your engine scattered around in the surrounding three states and the ocean. That is a lot of power bundled up in a very light weight container. :wink: :lol:
petew

Post by petew »

Yes, I was wondering when the Mag case would say, "nope, I don't have to take this".
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I don't think the stock heads and Engle 100 will give him another 100 hp with 2000 more rpm and another 3psi boost. Pretty sure his power hit a peak and dropped after 5k rpm. His case isn't on the verge of self destruction either. It should easily make 200hp for a long time before it lets go. There are plenty of folks running well over 200hp with Mag cases.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

It wasn't the 200 HP as I have heard of more but it was the 7K under non-naturally induced pressure. The balance on the rotating assembly has to be pretty accurate not to forget about the threads in the mag case.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

buguy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:28 pm I don't know. I would guess if you made 200 hp at 5200 rpm, turning it to 7000 should make an extra 75-100 hp. And if you could find that extra 3 psi of boost you might get over that 300 hp mark.
So I did a little math with my favorite boost calculator and if I get the results to come out at 225 crank hp at 20.5 lbs boost and 5200 rpm....all I have to do is change the VE from a default of .95 to .90 and the numbers all come out.
I then changed the rpm to 7000 rpm and to get to 20.5 lbs boost I raised the hp to 303 crank hp for all the numbers to match again.
So Buguy was fairly close in the figures.
If I get my DRD heads fixed and put them back on to get a little better airflow I might be able to get to that target......not that I want to spin the engine that fast....although it is tempting.

That would involve a C/W crank and balancing along with a larger cam to get better airflow............hmmmmm.

I might check with TimsACVW and see what it would cost for new seats and valves for the DRD's.......I'm possibly heading down to Puyallup in a couple weeks for a Swap Meet and could drop them off at that time...... :wink: 8)

By the way.....it's just pissing rain here and looks like it will be all weekend so I'm sitting at the computer doing a little scheming..... :? :D
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Brothers VW Machine does good work. Might be worth looking at as well.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Swap meet in puyallup?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Turbo!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:37 pm Brothers VW Machine does good work. Might be worth looking at as well.
Woodsbuggy sent his DRD's there.....I'm waiting for him to let me know what the results were.

Tim's would save me the shipping if I was heading there anyways.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

turboedbug wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:24 pm Swap meet in puyallup?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Corvette and High Performance Swap Meet on Feb 10, 11. They changed it a little .....it's now a preview on Saturday instead of a Swap......The swap is on Sunday but I'm not going Sunday...It used to be on Saturday.......
buguy

Post by buguy »

I looked at a counter weighted 69mm crank at CB a couple weeks ago. Seems like it was like $279. But then I thought..... Why not just get a stroker crank. I cans see how this could get out of control easy.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

And as the cost goes up buying parts to match one additional part you will think/say "What the ..." :roll: :lol:
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Seems like a nice little 74mm stroker would be a great match for the 88's, warmed over stock rods and a good balance job, topped off with the DRD's. Hmmm..... :twisted:
petew

Post by petew »

GS guy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:40 pm Seems like a nice little 74mm stroker would be a great match for the 88's, warmed over stock rods and a good balance job, topped off with the DRD's. Hmmm..... :twisted:
Oh man, I've entertained the very same plan. Welcome to "temptation island". Only it's not ladies, it's hipo parts. :lol:

Course, for the price, you may as well build a 1916. ;)
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I've been thinking a nice 1915 with a counter weighted 69mm crank with some of those super squishy pistons would be fun! Nice and zippy around town with that nice bump in compression and still plenty of boost and rpms to make some serious hp with a good sized turbo.