Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
66brm

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by 66brm »

That implies that they would catch you :wink: :lol:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

66brm wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:57 pm That implies that they would catch you :wink: :lol:
Unfortunately, I am the only White Buggy around and in fact most times the only Buggy out and about.

Due to the fact I have at least three County law officers living in my 50 home development and at least three officers employed in the city that know me on a first name basis........I doubt when the the description goes over the radio that I would be able to run........ :roll: :oops: :cry: :cry:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

An old saying: "Its pretty hard to outrun a radio".
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:17 pm An old saying: "Its pretty hard to outrun a radio".
Particularly when they know where you live...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Tomorrow is the day!!!!

Off to Monroe early in the morning for a tuning session. The buggy is ready to go.....I survived the damn mosquitoes but have the scars to prove it.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:00 pm Tomorrow is the day!!!!

Off to Monroe early in the morning for a tuning session. The buggy is ready to go.....I survived the damn mosquitoes but have the scars to prove it.
Dyno time too?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:41 pm
Clonebug wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:00 pm Tomorrow is the day!!!!

Dyno time too?
Unfortunately the Dyno shop was closed today.... :roll: :cry:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Starting mileage, 85,314
Ending mileage, 85,608

Update,

After driving 200 miles to Mario and back along with tuning almost 100 miles I can say we have a pretty nice tune worked out.

I was over 40 miles from home when I realized I forgot my tuning computer......... :roll: :oops: :cry:

We got the low, mid and high speed cruise set on Dual tables and then worked on the EBC settings.

Once we got the settings right we have it holding boost at 23 lbs and have the VE table and Ignition set with no detonation and very little oscillation.
The Boost Duty works well.

I think at the end of the long day Mario wished he had a turbo engine again.........

I think he was impressed and I guess I really don''t need to prove anything because with all the abuse we gave it today it still took me home at 75-80 mph for 100 miles without a problem.
I can't even post a log so you'll have to hit Mario up to get him to post one here........ :roll: :cry:

The one video I took of a pull really sucks but it is all I had due to the fact I was too busy driving and keeping my eyes on the road.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Here was my take on the day :mrgreen: 8) :D

Clonebug came out to my shop today to do some tuning. We started off the day by pulling the current tune off his ECU so we could check it out. After messing with tables and settings for about an hour we had it all ready to run table switching for both the fuel and ignition tables based on manifold pressure. This gave us plenty of table space for both on and off boost. With 20+ psi on tap it is nice to stretch things out a bit.

Next we reset the accel enrich tables to some base settings, turned on the idle advance controls and had it idling very nice at 1k and 13.6:1 ARF. At this point, I noted some parameters for future reference. Idle PW (2.7ms), AFR (13.6:1), Intake temp (98 degrees), Coolant (198 degrees).

We hit the road and spent the next couple hours taking care of all the "normal" driving areas on FuelTable1. Leaning out the light throttle stuff to ~15:1. As we got to 100kpa we tapered into 12.5:1. Once we started getting into FuelTable3 (the boost table) I found I need to make a couple of changes since it would start coming on boost at 15-1800 under a heavy high gear load. Once that was nailed down we started with some 6psi pulls. That went quickly and we were able to start in on the fun stuff. I used that data I jotted down earlier around this time and made adjustments to the MAT correction curve. With all the light pulls the intake temp had risen to around 110 and the idle was 12.9-13:1.

Art then hit the boost controller switch to put us at high boost setting. We needed to knock some timing out of it to prevent some peak load detonation and address the boost controller settings. It was oscillating pretty wild. This took us awhile to deal with, probably an extra couple hours.
Once we had it hitting the target of 255kpa it was game on. I think we would lift the front tires banging second gear :D

Here is a quick 1-2-3 blast. Spins the speedo up real quick like.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/X1tAh6EwBfs[/BBvideo]

And a couple screen shots from the pull.

20psi by 4k
4K 20psi.jpg

3rd gear nets 22psi by 4500.
4.5K 22psi.jpg

Running out of road at 5k letting off
5K 22psi.jpg

I was curious on how the plugs looked after the day was over so I popped #2 out, couldn't have asked much better 8)
Plug.jpg

Thanks for coming out, that was a great time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Woooooosh!!!! That speedo flies!
Better to be blown than to suck!
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

nice! the youtube video popped up on my subs and looked insane!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Anybody going to Burger meet Friday the 14th or the Vintage show on Saturday??

I plan on being at the Burger meet and this time early enough to get a good spot I hope. I have the day off so I can get there early.

I am thinking about hitting the vintage meet too.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mileage, 86,131

Took the buggy out for an almost 400 mile round trip drive to Leavenworth, Wa. and back yesterday.

We left the house around 12:00 pm with a stop for gas and then off to Burlington, Bob's for an appetizer and beverage....Then it was a power drive all the way to Leavenworth at 65-75 mph. We arrived at about 5:00 pm and found a nice short parking spot that no one else could fit in.... :wink: :lol:
We then walked and did a little wine taste where they had some water misters spraying in the shade since it was about 92 degrees out!!!! :shock:
After that we found a nice little restaurant for a German themed dinner and a cool beer along with a couple glasses of cold water.
We got done with dinner about 6:30 so off to the buggy we went to get some gas at the Safeway on the outside of town. Took on 6.80 gals of gas with 197 miles and averaged over 28 mpg. With the .95 factor for the smaller tires I still got 27.5 mpg at those speeds and climbing a 6% grade for quite a few miles.
We got home right around 10:00 pm with a chill in the air.... all in all it was a good day.......
madmike

Post by madmike »

we'er getting almost the same mileage :lol: but with totaliy diff set-ups :lol: sweet aint it!
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

That was a quick trip!

Looks like I'll be riding shotgun in my buddys car. Small 2l with ITB's. We just started it up on Saturday!
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store