Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by buguy »

Is that a US dollar?!
petew

Post by petew »

buguy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:50 pm Is that a US dollar?!
Yes, so by the time it gets to whoever does it, it will have cost me AU$2.00. :roll:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mileage, 89,777

It's been almost 3 months since I really drove the buggy except for a couple 5 mile trips to town and back.
I had a couple issues and today I finally had time to look into them.
First issue was the whistling sound I had when the buggy was on the dyno. I had convinced myself it was a bearing going bad in my el-cheapo Chinese alternator.
I started it up today and was was bothered by a starting issue on top of the noise. So once the noise came I shut off the engine, pulled the fan belt and fired it back up. The noise was still there....hmmmm.
I started pushing around on the intake and on the right side silicone connector I could get it to be quiet when I put pressure on it.... I grabbed a 10mm socket and tightened both clamps on that side and....Voila!!! No more noise!!!!
I also went and snugged up the left side for good measure while I was at it.
Next was the starting issue. It seem like low voltage but every time I checked the battery it was a 12.6 volts...... So I pulled the battery and took it to Les Swab to test it and it came back good voltage but low amperage.
I spent a cool $132.00 for a new one and my starting issues are now gone.

Next was that bothersome low boost issue......if you can call it low..... :roll: :wink: :lol:
I had a sneaking suspicion that the intake leak had some effect on my total boost output so I went and fueled up and took it out for a test run.
Second gear felt really good and third was pulling like a sum-beach and then the clutch started slipping....... :cry: :cry:
Glancing at the gauge at full throttle I saw it past the 20 lb. mark and could tell by the pull that it was back.
With the clutch now complaining I tried it a couple more times and it definitely had more power.
Looking at my logs I showed 22.1 lbs boost in third gear at 4600 rpm and my IAT's were dropping down as the boost rose!!!! I showed 67.8 degrees F IAT's at 22.1 lbs boost!!!!
That is unbelievable!!!!
No wonder the clutch won't hold. With the vacuum/boost leak fixed the engine runs completely different and idles a lot nicer. I'll have to let autotune run a bit to clean things up again.
I just can't believe my IAT's though..... that is amazing!!!
The fan is connected and working but I haven't noticed it except once the other day I shut it off in the garage for a bit and when I went to start it to go again the heat soak kicked the fan on due to the parameters Mario and I set.
It must be helping a little.

I'm off to the Portland Swap Meet next Weekend so hopefully I find some things I never knew I needed. :wink: :lol: 8)
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

You sound like me, got a list of winter upgrades to get done, and just now starting. Mine went into the garage today to begin the tear down.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Makes me consider putting a air to air intercooler on my build too.

Just to be safe.
Better to be blown than to suck!
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

How old is the clutch? think its wear adding to the excess power? or just need a stronger clutch either better disk or pressure?

Hope your well!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

andy198712 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:56 am How old is the clutch? think its wear adding to the excess power? or just need a stronger clutch either better disk or pressure?

Hope your well!
It started slipping at around 23 lbs. boost without the intercooler after a couple speed shifts this early fall.
Now it won't hold at even 20.5 lbs boost hitting fourth gear and 22 lbs. going to third.
I can see the rpm rise on the log right where the clutch starts slipping. The moment it hits full boost it just won't hold anymore.

Considering the Stage I clutch is advertised to hold 180 ft lbs torque and I am getting 201 ft lbs. at 20.5 lbs. boost I would say I had a pretty good run with this Pressure Plate.

I have a Stage II PP waiting for me to pick it up next weekend......I 'm just not sure if I want to go through the work of installing it at this time.
The weather totally sucked for working on the buggy the last 3 months with cold, snow and rain so I put it off.
I even thought about limiting the boost to 20 lbs to stay under the clutch limit but after testing last night I know that's not going to happen. :roll: :lol: 8)
It is a completely different animal once it hits 22 lbs and I still have a possible 2.0 lbs more in there if the intercooler doesn't rob too much pressure.

I'll go look at old junk carbs for 3 days......everyone is trying to sell an old Holley Carb for big bucks........ :lol:
Once I get back from Portland I'll have a new drive to get it done so I can kick my brothers *ss in his STI.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Art, once you have polished the disc and PP (bar-b-que'd the assembly) the tight connection will not get better... only worse. Do the switch now so you can enjoy the rest of the warm dry weather (when and if it comes). :roll: :lol: Hate to hear you have to be tow'd a couple hundred miles from home.

Lee
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

so its just plain old boost killing the clutch lol
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

andy198712 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:47 pm so its just plain old boost killing the clutch lol
It's a disease..... :cry:
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

But there is a cure!
Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Yes there is...... :wink:

At approximately 5 whp per lb. of boost I am now at about 194 whp at 22.1 lbs boost. 1.5 lbs more and my disease will be cured when I hit 200 whp............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

rubenski wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:36 pm But there is a cure!
More Clutch!!!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

rubenski wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:00 am Makes me consider putting a air to air intercooler on my build too.

Just to be safe.
I'd definietly recommend an intercooler of any sort if doing a new build. Just start with that as part of your plan, build around it.
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

What intercooler are you using?