Chip's Turbo EFI Build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Chip Birks

Re: Chip's Turbo EFI Build

Post by Chip Birks »

Ghiarod wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:02 pm thudangitheck
Didn't know you were from Utah :lol:
Hows yours coming along?
Wally

Post by Wally »

Chip Birks wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:47 pm It should. But 7500rpm and 30psi ....
That would surely be something! :twisted:

What was the RPM at max hp last time with this set-up?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Wally wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:54 am
Chip Birks wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:47 pm It should. But 7500rpm and 30psi ....
That would surely be something! :twisted:

What was the RPM at max hp last time with this set-up?
I've never had a clean pull all the way through. Last time it was on the rollers, It made 236hp at 8psi by 6000 with no timing and on 91 octane. After that it went pig rich and power plummeted. It shot a rocker off the end of the shaft after that pull, ending the dyno session.
New heads, e85, and plenty of ignition timing now. Hoping this old turbo will give me a 100hp per cylinder before it runs out of steam. We'll see though. I mostly want to take it to that rpm just so the tune is safe to there. It would be nice to need it in 4th gear :wink:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Good lord. I can't even imagine what 400hp would be like in one of these things!
petew

Post by petew »

Maybe something like this...

[BBvideo=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6szna2vKmU[/BBvideo]
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Oh man, if mine would give me just one wheelie I'd be pleased. This coming weekend at the track will be the last for the car for a few years. I'm going all in. After that, the future of the combo is up in the air...
buguy

Post by buguy »

With some good slicks I would think with 400 hp it's should wheelie no problem! I guess you have to get the chassis right.
petew

Post by petew »

buguy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:49 am With some good slicks I would think with 400 hp it's should wheelie no problem! I guess you have to get the chassis right.
Actually, I've read somewhere that wheelies are also about the length of your trailing arms. Short trailing arms (like stock VW) make cars more prone to wheelies.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Stance has a big effect too. Mine sits low. Even with stiff torsion bars and such, it still allows for some squat. But I prefer how it sits rather than having major air over the tire under the fender.
Looks like i won't be on the dyno before i can get it on the racetrack. Couldn't make my schedule work with the shop's availability. Gonna try to get some street tuning in. I think I should be able to make it work. I won't get a great top of 3rd or much in 4th pull. I'm just not that guy, but I should be able to use 2nd and early third to set things up okay.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah probably not great to go 140 mph in the streets!
madmike

Post by madmike »

Good luck and have FUN! 8) 8)
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Well, less than exciting results from the race track to report. So I won't waste much time. Between a new set of injectors, and a crank sensor that decided to move a little out of position, my tune was pretty wrecked. I got 3 passes, improving each time, but not a single full run down the track. My best was a 13.7. 60fts were all bad, 1/8 et and mph was weak everytime, and 4th gear was pretty much a bust. BUT, the car isn't broken, it drove onto the trailer, and I just drove it into the garage at home. Gotta switch tires back to the street ones and then its ready to drive for the rest of the nice season. Project un-racecar begins asap. Roll bar and 5 point harness is coming out as soon as i get some time. Over the winter its getting totally rewired, with a new ecu, I'll pull the engine then too. Cam swap and maybe heads are on the to do list, as well as possibly put in some less solid motor mounts. At best I have 2 years before there is a race track local to play on. I just want to be able to drive and enjoy this thing for a couple years.
gbaker770

Post by gbaker770 »

Keep “Chipping” away bro. All jokes aside, you will only go quicker and faster if you are getting out there and doing it. You are putting in the time and thats what it takes. The biggest thing you should be looking for after you get the tuneup is your 60’s. Once you get the car to leave and go to the 60’ everything else becomes easier. Buy a good set of shocks for for both the rear and the front. Suspension setup is key. Wheelies are not your friend.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

gbaker770 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:23 pm Keep “Chipping” away bro. All jokes aside, you will only go quicker and faster if you are getting out there and doing it. You are putting in the time and thats what it takes. The biggest thing you should be looking for after you get the tuneup is your 60’s. Once you get the car to leave and go to the 60’ everything else becomes easier. Buy a good set of shocks for for both the rear and the front. Suspension setup is key. Wheelies are not your friend.
I know wheelies aren't my friend, actually happy mine doesn't do them. Best 60 is a 1.59 I think. Stock oil shocks in rear, 29mm bars, SAW plates. Carrera 90/10s up front. The car is retiring from racing for a couple years. I'm not interested in doing much travel just to go out first round and be done. I dont race to compete, I race for a time slip. So the value just isn't there when I have to leave the state and drive hours to play. The tune is my biggest hurdle right now. The EFI shuts the engine down if it goes too lean, i didn't make it down the track without the safety shutting my off. Killed every run. Once the tune is good, and the car can actually get down the track under power I'll get the suspension sorted. Honestly, I'm looking forward to detuning and just driving the car for a while.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Damn Chip! I have the flu so I've been stuck pretty much in the house (shopping mostly). I just finished reading your entire thread start to finish. You definitely have had your share of hurdles! Any plans for this winter with it?