Chip's Turbo EFI Build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Chip Birks

Re: Chip's Turbo EFI Build

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote:Give Mario a little more push....
He has all the parts and a nice turbo too.... :wink: :D
I'll work on it
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

You have been to the shop Clone, you know I have to think about my engine every day :) At least I have my rods back, and a real deck. I can now send the heads off to get flycut. Building with 85.5 cylinders kinda sucks. It takes alot of cutting or shimming to make a notable difference.

In the back of my mind I have been thinking of using a bigger cam than the FK-42 on 112s. But at least with the tool steel lifters would make cam changes a bit easier.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

get some TW 88's and your valves will be just right..... :wink:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote:get some TW 88's and your valves will be just right..... :wink:
Then we are stuck with the Hyper pistons. Not wanting those for this build. I guess I could go with forged JE...maybe later.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

After a crazy year last year, I've decided to pull the big engine out for a quick refresh and reseal. Its getting new Deves rings, new AA cylinders, and a good cleaning. It was leaking oil pretty bad due to my pulling the oil pump a couple times last year while messing with cam timing. I'm glad I pulled it apart. I discovered that the oil pickup had broken off its tie down tab, and had decided to climb up into the cam lobe. It was probably a couple thousandths away from breaking through the tube above the bell. That could have been ugly. Glad I pulled it down. As of right now, the crank is sitting in the cleaned case, the cam is timed where it should be. I have a new CB long oil pickup cut to length and installed. I just finished gapping my new rings and installing them onto the pistons. I think the case pretty much just needs sealant and can go back together! The heads need a good cleaning and then I'll button it up the rest of the way. I love working on an engine that is already figured out. They come apart and go together fast!
madmike

Post by madmike »

Good eye , great u caught it :wink: :lol:
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:21 am Image
:shock: :shock:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:56 am :shock: :shock:
Thats pretty much how I reacted when I opened it up Friday night.
petew

Post by petew »

Wow. Nasty. Just as well you got it!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The work continues. The craziness is past, now just coasting to the finish line.
I wounded my header last September, and just haven't really cared to fix it. I recently purchased a singe mandrel U in 1.5" for my compound project and didn't end up using most of it. After looking at the dented header, and the bend for a few days I decided to get out the saw and start cutting. While at it, I decided to add a couple of V-band connectors instead of the standard 2 bolt units.

Heres the damage. Its probably punched in .5-.75"
After some fun fitting and welding to nasty dirty pipe.Image
buguy

Post by buguy »

Man I really like the Vbands! You do nice work brother.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:08 pm Man I really like the Vbands! You do nice work brother.
Haha, thanks! Its not nearly as nice as I wanted it to be, but it'll move exhaust to my turbo, and thats what really matters here.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

5 calendar days, to remove, tear down,repair, re-assemble, and re-install the engine. I think thats a record for me. Excited to see what the weekend brings. Headed to the drag strip hoping to at least put it back into the 11s. Then we'll see where it goes from there. Its time to see just how awesome this e85 is.
buguy

Post by buguy »

We always love video!!