Chip's Turbo EFI Build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
madmike

Re: Chip's Turbo EFI Build

Post by madmike »

Good luck Chip and don't forget to have Fun,, :lol:
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Great progress and way to stick to it.
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Pedal to the metal Chip!

-K-
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Thanks guys. Hopefully we can just go out and come back in one piece. Last year it seemed like every track day required the engine to come out for some sort of repair, usually clutch related. Hoping to avoid that this year. I want the engine swapping to happen by choice, when I drop the mouse in for its turn to play, and that's it! We'll see if I can be so lucky.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Went for my first drive in the car since October. New clutch setup is very nice, didn't beat on the car much, but the foot pressure feels like stock, and the grab from that RLR Black Magic disc feels really nice. It drives very nicely too, even in stop and go type situations. Its 94 degreesF out side right now, and temps stayed in a good spot. It maintains at least an 18 or so degreeF delta, peaking at about 32 degreeF between its hot and cold side. This is with water that is measuring the same as outside, so mid to high 90s. Air temps post cooler were between 95 and 108 degrees for my 20 minute drive. Manifold pressure only went positive 17 times during that half of my drive :D . I'll put ice water in the tank tomorrow. Hopefully can get high boosted temps below 100F. Time will tell. Definitely fun to drive it again!
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Chip Birks wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:13 pm Hopefully can get high boosted temps below 100F. Time will tell. Definitely fun to drive it again!
Some dry ice will take care of that for you... and keep your drink cold as well 8)

-K-
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I didn't get my 11, but could have. Only got 2 runs in, first was 12.4@114. Second was 12.6@85. The second one was 7.4@91 to the 1/8th. I let off at that point trying to win the round. Data log shows I was off for 3.6 seconds before I stabbed it again. Easily would have been a solid 11 second run. Boost peaked at 20psi in 4th at about 4500rpm before I let off. Oh well. Tomorrow is a big street car event. I'm going to push it hard I think. Should be fun!
madmike

Post by madmike »

I hate 'Dial In ' or whatever it's called ,, seems dumb to 'let off' It's Racing,, prefer Heads up style,, "balls to the wall/pedal to the Metal"
glad ur having fun , big carshow up here and it raining :lol: I've got no wipers :roll: :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's pretty damn fast for a street driven VW bud!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Nice going Chip!!!
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

Fantastic! Keep going and go for an 11 tomorrow. :)
madmike wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:21 am I hate 'Dial In ' or whatever it's called ,, seems dumb to 'let off' It's Racing,, prefer Heads up style,, "balls to the wall/pedal to the Metal"
glad ur having fun , big carshow up here and it raining :lol: I've got no wipers :roll: :lol:
Rainex and donuts! :twisted:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Ahhha!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Today I'm running in a more heads up format. No dial, just run what you brung. Also no eliminations. Just Test and Tune along side a huge money race.
buguy

Post by buguy »

That should be fun! Let er rip!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Its turned out to be a pretty lame day so far. The event was poorly managed. I've gotten one pass out of the car and the efi aborted the run because it went a little lean for a little too long. Went 12.29@91 to 1/4, and 7.5@94 to the 1/8th before shutting down shortly after putting into 4th.