Chip's Turbo EFI Build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
MarioVelotta

Re: Chip's Turbo EFI Build

Post by MarioVelotta »

What a blast! I'm really glad I could make it. Here is a shot going in Hot Vw's I think.
IMG_5980_photo13_960px.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MarioVelotta on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
petew

Post by petew »

What it's like to drive with a spool on the street?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Nice shot! We need to get your car there next year!
The spool takes some getting used to. Overall it's not bad though. You only really notice it while turning at slow speeds.
blue thunder

Post by blue thunder »

Really nice project man, keep those pics coming!

Cheers,

Robin
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

Chip Birks wrote:Nice shot! We need to get your car there next year!
The spool takes some getting used to. Overall it's not bad though. You only really notice it while turning at slow speeds.
Ya I heard it when you were leaving the Riverton show. I was like "it has a spool".
Type 3 Subaru powered EJ25
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Another year has come and gone. Managed to get a few more upgrades taken care of during that time (new front and rear suspension, new oil and water lines, a few new sensors). Unfortunately this also stretched my off season to over a year. I didn't get it registered and road legal until November 1st this year. Living in Utah, USA, we usually see our first snow storms in November, so I knew that I was going to have a short driving season with it. I managed to get one month to the day, and then had to park it for winter. I did manage to drive it a few times in weather well below freezing, grateful for the EFI and newly added bosch idle valve.

I ran the car pretty much exclusively on e85, other than putting in 1 gallon of 91 octane pump gas when I misjudged my available fuel and limped into the station on fumes. I'm happy to report that the flex fuel sensor worked perfectly, allowing me to run the car on gas for a couple of miles without having to touch the tune. I then filled up with e85 and off I went.

I added a few new sensors to the car, trying to fuel my addiction to data. The header got 9 new bungs, and my water tank got one too. I ended up installing a prototype 4 channel wideband setup, as well as a homemade exhaust back pressure measurement system, 4 EGT, and a new water temp sensor for the intercooler tank.

I am still trying to figure out how to use all of the new info I am getting in my datalogs. It's kind of overwhelming!

For the first time in years, I have put away a running and driving car that is more or less ready to pull out and punish once the ground thaws and the flowers bloom.

Then again, winter is long. I have a new motor in parts just waiting to be built and thrashed on. I may finally get it done this year. If that's the case, I may shelf the 2276 for a season or two and see what I can make happen with the new combo. We'll see what happens...
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hey Chip , short seasons sux :( but I bet you can re-wire the 'Space station" now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
risk

Post by risk »

I would be interested to see what your water tank temp vs intake air temp will be. One of my buddies that drag races a turbo buick recommended adding water wetter to my tank. Having both sensors would be a great way to see if it has any gains or not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

madmike wrote:Hey Chip , short seasons sux :( but I bet you can re-wire the 'Space station" now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I darn near sold the car this fall. I mostly got it running to test out the new tech. Glad i did, as i really enjoyed my time in it. Its a lot of fun to drive! It still may end up on the chopping block though. I have another project that will eventually take all of my attention :wink: It is more of the long term variety though. So the 60 is safe for now.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

What about the mouse motor???
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote:What about the mouse motor???
Chip Birks wrote: I have a new motor in parts just waiting to be built and thrashed on. I may finally get it done this year. If that's the case, I may shelf the 2276 for a season or two and see what I can make happen with the new combo. We'll see what happens...
I just need to find a crank and flywheel for it. I have pretty much everything else. Still trying to decide whether to just use a stock crank drilled for 8 dowels, or buy a new 4140 from CB, or use the welded CW wedge mated one that I have access to. I'm leaning towards the wedged crank. That one will let me rev the heck out of the little thing without fear of pitching the flywheel off when I engage the stage 3 and diamond back hooked to the spool and slicks :twisted:

I don't anticipate selling the 60 for a while. The new car (a 55 ragtop) is in need of a lot of work, think baja recovery, and I don't really want to be without a bug for the years it will take to get it done.

That said, I don't think I'll be throwing much more cash at the 60 in the way of upgrades at this point. The drive train is pretty much where I want it. I think the combo easily has the potential to go well into the 10's if I can just get my head wrapped around the tuning of it. I really need to get it onto a dyno one of these days.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

risk wrote:I would be interested to see what your water tank temp vs intake air temp will be. One of my buddies that drag races a turbo buick recommended adding water wetter to my tank. Having both sensors would be a great way to see if it has any gains or not.
I have always seen semi high intake temps with this car. I think it is a heat soak thing into the IAT sensor, which is stuck into my steel intake plenum. I ended up putting 2 independent temp sensors directly into the intercooler, one on the hot side and the other on the cold side. I did this because the intercooler is completely isolated from the engine. It is on the other side of the firewall connected by silicone couplers, so no metal to metal contact with anything engine related. I need to mess with my pump settings to get water flowing before boost comes on, because I definitely see the delta across the intercooler drop the longer I drive off boost. I really need to get a couple of open element sensors to stick into the intercooler holes, since I'm sure the current measurement are skewed a bit because of lag. I am looking at a data log of my setup on Dec 1, water temps are 40 degrees F, intake temp pre intercooler after 14psi boost peaks at 83 degrees F from 74 degrees F before a rolling pull through 2nd and 3rd gear, while the post intercooler temp raised all the way to 77 degrees from 72. Temp in the steel plenum, with a real open element sensor started at 88 degrees F, and peaked at 100 degrees.

I am only pushing water through the intercooler under boost. Total on time for the pump was 3.1 seconds during that run. My bet is that I didn't even cycle the water through the whole system in that time. So the actual effect is tricky to measure. I would probably get a better understanding of the relationship between water temp and intake temp if I was measuring the water temp in the intercooler itself, not the 3 gallon tank under the back seat.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote:
Clonebug wrote:What about the mouse motor???
Chip Birks wrote: I have a new motor in parts just waiting to be built and thrashed on. I may finally get it done this year. If that's the case, I may shelf the 2276 for a season or two and see what I can make happen with the new combo. We'll see what happens...
I just need to find a crank and flywheel for it. I have pretty much everything else. Still trying to decide whether to just use a stock crank drilled for 8 dowels, or buy a new 4140 from CB, or use the welded CW wedge mated one that I have access to. I'm leaning towards the wedged crank. That one will let me rev the heck out of the little thing without fear of pitching the flywheel off when I engage the stage 3 and diamond back hooked to the spool and slicks :twisted:

I don't anticipate selling the 60 for a while. The new car (a 55 ragtop) is in need of a lot of work, think baja recovery, and I don't really want to be without a bug for the years it will take to get it done.

That said, I don't think I'll be throwing much more cash at the 60 in the way of upgrades at this point. The drive train is pretty much where I want it. I think the combo easily has the potential to go well into the 10's if I can just get my head wrapped around the tuning of it. I really need to get it onto a dyno one of these days.
All the calculators I use and from my own experience the best way to get more hp is to increase the rpm.

I feel I'm pretty well at my limit at the rpm I use. Just going from 5000-5200 to 5800 rpm makes a big difference on hp output according to my logs. That extra 600-800 rpm will max out my injectors from the 68% I normally see to 95-103% at peak rpm.
Having a C/W and balanced bottom end and being able to rev to 7000 plus rpm safely will give you some serious top end hp especially if you crank the boost while having nice cold dense air at that high boost level.
It will make my engine look gutless.
You will need big injectors since you will be exceeding the 32# I have maxed out and the 45# I plan to install.

We need a few more mousers in the forum.......... :wink:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: All the calculators I use and from my own experience the best way to get more hp is to increase the rpm.

I feel I'm pretty well at my limit at the rpm I use. Just going from 5000-5200 to 5800 rpm makes a big difference on hp output according to my logs. That extra 600-800 rpm will max out my injectors from the 68% I normally see to 95-103% at peak rpm.
Having a C/W and balanced bottom end and being able to rev to 7000 plus rpm safely will give you some serious top end hp especially if you crank the boost while having nice cold dense air at that high boost level.
It will make my engine look gutless.
You will need big injectors since you will be exceeding the 32# I have maxed out and the 45# I plan to install.

We need a few more mousers in the forum.......... :wink:
I plan to give this thing plenty of RPM. CB650 spring and small valves should keep the valve train fairly light, I have a pretty good sized cam from a company that is well known for making obscene power in everything they touch. My heads aren't anything super special at this point, as far as port work goes, though that could definitely change.
I intend to use one of my big turbos, so it definitely won't be a lag free 2000rpm full boost setup, but i think it should spool and go just fine with a little rpm behind it.
I'll keep using my 1000cc injectors until I outgrow them.
I have lots of plans, just gotta start building the puzzle.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Give Mario a little more push....
He has all the parts and a nice turbo too.... :wink: :D