type 4 turbo 2.0L

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
turbobaja

Re: type 4 turbo 2.0L

Post by turbobaja »

WOW! That's a tight fit in there! Looking really good though. Lots of progress, must feel good. Is there going to be a cover over that filter element? Looks like it's gonna breath in the hot air from the shroud down there, but probably won't be a big deal with E85 :twisted: . Gonna be slick with the deck lid shut, what a sleeper!
Karl

DON'T QUIT
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Dan Dryden wrote:
sweetlokin66 wrote:Image

Got the pan a roller and first mockup of the motor 8)
The turbo looks very close to the ground and lower than the sump. Are you not worried about the ground clearance and where do you plan to drain the oil from the turbo to ?
It does doesn't it :lol: The camera is sorta playing tricks and the suspension is squated way more then what the actual ride height will be. I'm going to be running 18's in the back with a yet to be determined tire size to take up any wheel gap and get the suspension as square to stock as I can. A side effect of that there will be a good 10 + inches between the ground and turbo. The drain from the turbo to where I'm going to run it into the case eventually has about a 1 1/2" - 2" elevation differential. My pops that runs the twin turbo convertible has about the same differential and drains both turbos great. It was something else to keep track of when designing everything though.
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

turbobaja wrote:WOW! That's a tight fit in there! Looking really good though. Lots of progress, must feel good. Is there going to be a cover over that filter element? Looks like it's gonna breath in the hot air from the shroud down there, but probably won't be a big deal with E85 :twisted: . Gonna be slick with the deck lid shut, what a sleeper!

Yes it does feel nice. I needed a brake from the body work :lol: They way I plan on sealing everything off the filter is actually going to be on the "cool" side of the motor getting its air from the stock vents. I am currently trying to figure out the front tin layout. The best thing I discovered so far in this project is the type 4 foam engine seal. It's so much easier to work with then the standard beetle split rubber system opening up a lot of options. It's for one allowing me to run the tin from the motor out towards the body rather then vice versa like in a stock bug. There's going to be a viton bulb seal that will stick off the body about a 1/2" that will support the other half of the type 4 foam seal. You can see the system in the attached pic. Second the foam is a lot more adaptable to flexing and shaping and not deforming as bad as the stock rubber would if I want to do any sharp bends or curves.

If I need to do a head retorquing or something of the sort all I need to do is pop off the intake, shroud, and aluminum tin and there is tons of access with no need to drop the block, exhaust, oil lines, etc :twisted:. The head to cylinder seal I plan on running will require the head to be retorqued about 4-5 times in less then 500 miles so I needed to consider that.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

interesting, i just fitted an early type beetle seal to my beetle and its bettwe then the late ones, in terms of custom use, but the foam seems better again!

Looking great!!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The bay bus "H" seals are a t4 swaps best friend.
They can cover a multitude of sins.

I have tried making similar with a stripe of glue down the middle of some large neoprene foam pipe insulation, sliced down each side, but it never came out quite right.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

The foam seal allows a ton of flexibility as well as the simplicity of not needing a accommodate a channel to hold the rubber split seal. Also helps with the "factory" look I'm ultimately going for.

Close to having this half of the breast plate sealed off, have another side piece to fab and weld on and pop rivet everything together. Sheet metal screws are temp :lol: . Only cold air allowed :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sweetlokin66 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Oh, sweet! That makes way more sense. My eyes were playing tricks on me :wink: . Neat how your shroud covers the cylinders and all in one smooth piece rather than the multi-piece skirts of a T-1 shroud...no pesky exhaust pipes in the way...cheater :P
Karl

DON'T QUIT
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

:lol: its one of the perks of making your own parts.

Got the first breast plate piece finished up today. What a PITA

Apron is ready for body work! Now onto more tin work :lol:

sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Piledriver wrote:The bay bus "H" seals are a t4 swaps best friend.
They can cover a multitude of sins.

I have tried making similar with a stripe of glue down the middle of some large neoprene foam pipe insulation, sliced down each side, but it never came out quite right.
McMaster has been my best friend. They have a ton of rubber sealing options available. I may have even found a bulb seal that may work out for the doors. Gunna buy a test piece and see if it works. I'm just trying to wrap up this engine tin ATM.
ToRy 70

Post by ToRy 70 »

Is that the airbox on your apron? Looks great!
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Yeah :D The only way to fit the size filter I needed and be able to keep it on the clean air side was to run this kind of a setup. Worked out really well. Super easy to take the apron and filter on and off in one sweep.
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Shop assistant on quality control :lol:

Got the second half of the engine tin almost wrapped up.

sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Image Been a while since an update. Got some new parts in to help keep things together. Stock head studs (right) compared to what I'm running now (left).
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Image Finally got it up and running but working through some bugs before tossing it back on the dyno. There's more pict's on my instagram - greyarearacing in the meantime
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Looking good.
Just something to watch for, On my type 4 turbo (blow through) I had a large intercooler like yours. What I experienced was that the boost/air speed would drop off as it entered the big volume cooler, The turbo had to work harder to put the PSI into the heads. Removed the cooler and the lag was considerably reduced.
Good luck.