Daily driven aircooled turbos... who's done it?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
durfeec

Re: Daily driven aircooled turbos... who's done it?

Post by durfeec »

Coyote wrote:
Clonebug wrote:
durfeec wrote:
I'm not trying to make power just a little more umph to get up to speed.
That sentence right above is what all the addicts say. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: 8)

I lasted less than a week at 6 lbs. and then I was turning it up to 10 lbs.

Trust me......build it for more.

Clonebug
Exactly !
this the main problem with turbocharging : you will always turn up the boost, no matter what your primitive goal was. It is just a question of time ! :lol:
Follow the Clonebug's advice : build it for more. :wink:
i would build it for more. maybe later on. right now i have to finish my camper interior and various other things. i just want a little turbo to start tinkering with. this summer i plan on moving out west from MI in my bus. i just want to not feel like im gonna get ran over by new cars.

honestly i cant have more power. im going for strictly gas mileage. i know eventually ill build something else for power. :twisted:

right now if i hit the gas and the rear squats a little bit i hit my trans cradle. thats how low the bus is. i need to section it out. also gonna tub it. its not gonna be capable of power. plus ill only have a stock swing axle.

anyways, turbo dds not in a rail/baja/buggy? anyone?
1981 Brazilian 14 Window
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

I like to drive it daily but there is not enough sand and the fuel is too expensive...
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

What fuel are you running?
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

I run 94
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I drive mine every day....in the summer.

Averaging 3500 plus miles a year.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
eskamobob1

Post by eskamobob1 »

Sorry for an old bump, but im thinking about mild forced induction for a DD, but everyone here talks about driving 4-5k a year on their builds, but I do 45k.... How realistic is it to build a real mild forced induction (mostly for efficiency) engine that can last me 100-120k miles?
buguy

Post by buguy »

Holy hell you drive your dub 45k a year??!! That's crazy!
But I've never done it DD.
eskamobob1

Post by eskamobob1 »

haha. she has been my DD for 10 years and I plan to keep it that way for a while. Im just in the beginning stages of planning this engine build, but that part is going to play a pretty massive role in it. I am aiming to be able to cruise at 80-90, get ~30MPG when doing 70, possibly run an AC unit in the summers, but most importantly, actually last me 2-3 years of driving. The idea of smaller stronger displacement with mild induction (with EFI and CDI, and possibly even supercharger) to keep my torque strong lower down and keep the actual displacement lower for less total moving mass and stronger internals seems desirable surface level, but im not sure it will actually do what I want.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I personally wouldn't turbo my bus for a DD. I would do fuel injection way before turbo.
eskamobob1

Post by eskamobob1 »

buguy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:33 pm I personally wouldn't turbo my bus for a DD. I would do fuel injection way before turbo.
EFI and CDI are a given due to what I’m going for, I’m just trying to figure out if I want the engine to end up forced induction or keep it NA as It should change my internals a fair amount. That said, I am still in the very baby stages of planning this build and have a lot to learn about genera parts function (how to pick cams, benefits/methods of changing compression, etc). I just figured I would see if anyone here actualy runs a high mileage forced induction engine since I stumbled across the thread
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I average 3500-5000 miles a year on my buggy and a high of 8500 miles in one year with a trip to Cali and back.
My engine is almost stock except for 88mm P/C's and a W-100 cam with solid rocker shafts.

If I limited it to 6.0 lbs I'm sure it could go anywhere and last as long as a stocker would......As far as running it at 80-90 mph.....It would be on boost all the time even with my slightly larger turbo.
The wind loads at that speed would put you over 100 kpa almost all the time and therefore the turbo would be spooled and boosting. It gets pretty annoying after a while.
If you are in hotter climates your air temps would climb.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I'd say if you want those kind of miles, well balanced and probably a nice aluminum case would go a long way for durability. Heat management will also be key. Get that turbo as far away from the engine bay as possible. I don't think there is any reason that having a turbo bolted onto your engine should shorten its life. Not if you are willing to keep it tame. I don't put the miles that Clonebug does on his, mostly because its become a pretty high strung race engine over the years, but I do still drive it, freeway, city streets, whatever. I'll be doing some reconfiguring over the next few months in an attempt to tame the beast a little bit, but without losing its heart and soul. Hooefully it will run cool and be plenty reliable.
madmike

Post by madmike »

This for a Bus or a Bug,?,, big diff I don't think a turbo motor will last 'that' long in a 3 ton brick:Bus :roll: :lol: but I'd try it , built right with a good turbo ,keep the boost levels low, plus with a big stroker ,,so you won't be boosting cruising at 70 mph :wink: heck my bug will cruz @ them speeds without hitting boost :wink: 2276cc
buguy

Post by buguy »

I agree. I think the heat would simply be too much for that much driving.
eskamobob1

Post by eskamobob1 »

It’s a bug. I am concerned about temps cruising at those speeds as well. I wasn’t sure if smaller minority boosted engine or larger NA would be more effective at cooling. One of my worries was the decreased fin area from
Bumping up the cylinder bore. I am also not opposed at all to getting a type 1 DTM if I need it for cooling since I am in socal