Turbo charging 66 square

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Corysvdub

Re: Turbo charging 66 square

Post by Corysvdub »

Soul do you know if those will fit on the china ebay turbo's?
Last edited by Corysvdub on Mon May 14, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Type 3 Subaru powered EJ25
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

Steve, Ya but that one has been cut for a larger wheel. I think thats the one he was having problems with that was customized and came from the Lauffers. Wouldn't spool up. I could be wrong though
Soul

Post by Soul »

As long as your turbo is a T-3 clone it should work for you.
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

I got one of these to replace t3
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

Thought I would update this with some pics of the water to air intercooler and tank installed
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

58Dub

Post by 58Dub »

whats your impression of switching to the smaller turbo? too small or just right?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Very nice Cory!!!

Is that an air to air intercooler that was welded up for water or a dedicated water to air cooler you bought???

Either way that is a nice clean plumbing job.....
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Nice install!! Very clean.
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

58Dub wrote:whats your impression of switching to the smaller turbo? too small or just right?
I definitely prefer the smaller turbo to the t3 for daily driving comes on quick and I like not having to downshift on steep grades :D
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

Clonebug wrote:Very nice Cory!!!

Is that an air to air intercooler that was welded up for water or a dedicated water to air cooler you bought???

It's actually a radiator I picked up at the swapmeet, I removed a few rows out of and sealed it up to make it an air to water intercooler. Took some grass roots tips from you. Built the tank too.

Thanks Clone, and others for the compliments

Now I have to put larger injectors in since I max them out @ 101% @ 15#
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Corysvdub wrote:
Clonebug wrote:Very nice Cory!!!

It's actually a radiator I picked up at the swapmeet, I removed a few rows out of and sealed it up to make it an air to water intercooler. Took some grass roots tips from you. Built the tank too.

Thanks Clone, and others for the compliments

Now I have to put larger injectors in since I max them out @ 101% @ 15#
You running 15 lbs boost???? If so that's pretty sweet!!! Any idea of the hp you are getting??? I would guess maybe 150 at the crank???
Since you are running the same engine as me it will be interesting to see how the power levels come out between yours and mine.

Any detonation problems and what are your IAT's after the intercooler??

Also what turbo are you running right now that is smaller???

I am very happy with my IHI turbo that is a 1/4 inch diameter smaller than the one I ran last year. Turbine and compressor wheels are at 1 3/4 inch on the outlet and inlets respectively.
It really spools up nice at 3000 rpm but my IAT's are up at about 186 degrees at 13 lbs. I would love to have an inter cooler but it isn't working out very well for me.
I should just bite the bullet and do like you and go water to air.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

Yes 15# of boost :D Don't know the horsepower I'm getting right now. Haven't dynoed it but I would like to, just to see where I'm at and try to improve my on my baseline HP. My IAT at cruise is around 100 degrees and on boost are around 160 I believe. 4th gear til 5500 rpm. I was having detonation issues before without IC and hotter plugs. Since I have moved to colder plugs with a smaller gap, I have not had any issues.

I'm running the garrett gt1548 the specs are in a previous post. I was running a t3 with a .42 compressor and a .48 exhaust. It was lazy but I could feel it keep pushing once it did come on. The 1548 has 50mm inlet and outlet which works out to about 2 inches.

Without the intercooler I was seeing IAT over 210 degrees

I'm sure you could figure some way of fitting an IC in your buggy. Could you go around the shroud with some tubing and mount a small one either behind the shroud or come out the opposite side and mount it on the right side of the TB?

If you can't fit that, then I think your last option is water/meth. I might go that route later on for more boost :twisted:
Soul

Post by Soul »

Cory I like the setup. :D Question can you still reach the plugs an what cam are you running?
Last edited by Soul on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

Soul wrote:Cory I like the setup. :D Question cam you still reach the plugs an what cam are you running?
I can still reach the plugs. Number two is the difficult one to get to, it is possible though. Had to use a few extensions to get it from under the car. Wasn't too bad, just recently changed them too. That was my fear that I would have to remove the IC. As far as the cam goes it is an engle 100 with 1.25 rockers