Supercharged Stock 1600 DP

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
rubenski

Re: Supercharged Stock 1600 DP

Post by rubenski »

Hi, verry interesting topic. Made me want to have one too

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 716b029805

could you give me some tips and hints for what to look for?

I dont know if i need a bov? If so, could you tell me where i can find a good one for this application?

I allready have 2 dellorto drla 36mm now mounted on my engine but theyre upright so no sidedraft.
Would it be possible to mount my current carb on an amr500 And still be able to close the decklid.

Or do i need to search for an sidedraft carburetor? Weber or dell?

And i see various build threads where the amr is mounted upright, downwards... etc....

Whats the best configuration to mount it? I think theyre probably some gears and oil in the amr So whats the ideal way of mounting it?

Anyway, thanks for the info...

Ruben from belgium
Better to be blown than to suck!
tilstad

Post by tilstad »

I could tell already from page 3, your mains were too small. Way small.

Kudos for taking on such a project , and spending the time working on it. And I sincerely hope its still running about, and running well.

But id like to comment on the tuning, for whoever else might refer to this thread. I believe you were overlooking what was really obvious, and right in your face the whole time; you were way, WAY too lean on the main jets.

Also, the way you went about it, constantly disregarding and overlooking the MASSIVE improvements you got whenever upsizung the mains, and then promptly start dick around with everything else,idle jets, emulsion tubes, chokes, and whatnot, instead of what you should have done; UPSIZE MAINS FURTHER, until you stop seeing improvements,and start seeing problems (Rich condition).

Its really on error of mindset, not of skill, which you clearly have. But in the end, you still managed to get it drivable, and rich enough, by putting on smaller chokes, or restricting air to compensate. That was a really backwards solution to achieve the same thing as just richer mains in the first place would have done. It baffles me that you never saw,that if enriching the mains made such dramatic and massive improvements , perhps go further still would solve it completely? But instead you jetted down, leaned it out,then messed with everything else to fix it,instead of simply reversing the last, clearly wrong, down jetting of the mains, and then upsizing mains further , as going smaller clearly made it worse!

I believe you left alot of potential power by putting on smaller chokes. Solution should have been keep the original chokes , and upjet mains.

Another thing when it comes to tuning; ALWAYS start rich,then dial down. You went completely backwards, which could gave blown the engine. You should have upjetted in larger increments, until it went rich,then downjetted in smaller increments. At no point did you ever get the engine rich on the mains, and yet you kept jetting further down, and changed everything else. Also,you weren't just finetunung a few jet sizes,like say putting on a free flow exhaust could have warranted. No, you were adding a supercharger, completely altering the engine combination, and hence jetting changes should be expected to be equally drastically changed.

Too much theory, to little listening to the gut. Why exactly you need so much more main jetting? For one,there might very well be something off,that's causing a lean condition, regardless if its a bandaid, you still need to start rich,then dial down.

Personally,my gut is saying that carb may be jetted to be used as a pair, 2 of them together, and hence is way too lean as a single carb. Additionally, your going to pull much harder through the carb with the compressor than what normal engine vacuum is able too, air compresses,liquid does not. Hence it will pull more and more air with the SC, but the liquid gas through the jets aren't compensating accordingly. Also, this being an unusual version, don't mind what the theory is saying about jet sizes, because the proof is already in the pudding, you showed massive gains when upsizing mains, and you should have kept at it.

Always tune 1 thing at the time, until you see negative effects, then backpedal to find the sweet spot. Do not stop at "good enough" then try something else.

And when you see negative results, reverse it and try other direction. Don't go buy new dizzy, mess with timing, order parts or fiddle with every other setting, than the 1 thing that CLEARLY created the problem in the first place.

/Rant over. You can poke me in the eye now.😋
Yes it was a frustrating read, sorry for being so vocal about it.😕 I was praying that you got the mains upjetted sufficiently before blowing the engine. And in addition 29 pounds of boost? holy smokes...

That said, interesting read nonetheless, and good job on making it come together. I really was interested in the long term results, for my own wbx. Is it still running now?

And yeah, id buy it from you if it could be made to fit. 😄
madmike

Post by madmike »

This post was 3 yrs ago :lol:
tilstad

Post by tilstad »

3 years is nothing in internet time. Besides,now would be a good time to conclude if it worked out long term or not.