Cheap type 4 turbo build.

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
joosep

Re: Cheap type 4 turbo build.

Post by joosep »

Thats correct, its too freakin low but I have done less than hour of tuning under boost and didn't want to kill it on first time :D
Unfortunately I don't have my type 1 maps left :( It was quite on the line.
All my experiences are with 4 valve watercooled heads, thats why its so low :) Stock 2.5-2.8L BMW engine makes 500horses with timimg like that and boost like that 8)

Could you show me your timing map? U had type 1 but its more similar than 4 valve heads.

Added abit:
Better?

Actually now I found my type 1 map....it looks too much advance but what do U think: Image
It broke my pistons once with 2 bar of boost but IAT was insane :D
joosep

Post by joosep »

Worked abit for driving threw city....now its closer to legal look :D
Car is @ home now (So I can do ma main work in my garage)

joosep

Post by joosep »

just cruising :
behappy

Post by behappy »

Me like....
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

My 1915 turbo ignition table looks a lot like your T1 does, but I have a lot more timing in the vacuum areas of my map and a lean mixture. I also use slightly less idle timing, because it makes hot starting easier. I don't have any direct experience with boosted T4's, but I soon will. I suspect the huge combustion chambers I have will probably require some additional timing over what a T1 would need, but we'll have to see.
joosep

Post by joosep »

I don't want to add timing before I can listen possible detonation.
Our engines are too different I think. I have poor vacuum cause of itbs. 80Kpa @ idle and it's under boost on the road all the time. It has 3-4 PSI when I'm cruising @ 50mph

I'll start fixing little problems. What I need to do is:
Rise rear end for some grip
Repair 1 spark plug hole
Repair bonnet what came into cockpit
find bigger injectors, cause they are not 420cc as they were sold (fully opened with 75PSI fuel pressure)
Adjust valves
Change oil and plugs
tonyorlo

Post by tonyorlo »

Hey any chance you have some pics of the flanges on the headers you made out of sc40?
Last edited by tonyorlo on Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joosep

Post by joosep »

sorry, what is sc40?
Only pic I found but I can take a better one. http://porsche-foorum.org/album/albums/ ... 1turbo.jpg
(they are not finished on the picture)
tonyorlo

Post by tonyorlo »

schedual 40 pipe. It looked to me like it was that, I shouldnt assume anything. I was mainly curious on how you did the flanges because of there out of round shape.
joosep

Post by joosep »

More than half of estonian made turbomanifolds are made of waterpipes from sanitary shop cause this material is really cheap and 2.6mm thickness fits nicely. Usually most of our projects get modifications before trouble starts with rusting manifolds...U just change the location of turbo on just go to stainless steel later. I think they stay toghether atleast 4-5 years when they are wrapped and twice more if they are not. Sorry, I dont remember measurement of the material. Flanges are made by really awful way :D they are just cutted with angle grinder, drilled and grinded :D I just had too much free time :D Usually I let them cutted when somebody helps me with CAD.
tonyorlo

Post by tonyorlo »

Hey whatever works right? I'm looking to build a header for a single turbo, and do it somewhat on the cheap. I haven't ruled stainless out yet, but I will most likely go with steel, something similar in thickness to what you have. I could probably have the flanges made on a cnc by a friend.

I really like your car, you've made great progress throughout the build!
joosep

Post by joosep »

Most important is getting all gasses to turbo with minmal loss or it will spool bad.
No leaks and no extra heatloss as needed. Equal lenght is less importnt than losing heat with long tubes I think. When I choose the tube I like to go with similar of the exhaust port size in the head or a-bit bigger.
joosep

Post by joosep »

Could anybody help me with a cam.
I found a new webcam with half price. Looks similar to 119 turbo grind but it has a-bit less lift. it si 515+2.5
Part # 00-142
Grind: 515+2.5

Valve Lash (Inch): .006

Valve Lift (Inch): .481

Advertised Duration: 279°

Duration @ 0.050": 249°

Lobe Center: 112°

Intake
Opens 12.5° Before TDC

Exhaust
Opens 56.5° Before BDC

Intake
Closes 56.5°After BDC

Exhaust
Closes 12.5° After TDC

Valve Timing Is Checked With Zero Valve Lash
@ 0.050 Inches Of Valve Lift.

What do U think? does it work in my engine?

They told me that it works with scat lube a lobe lifters and for type 1 aircooled says the same but in type 4 ?

does it require single or dual HD springs?

Thank You :)
joosep

Post by joosep »

Why I asked about cam is because I checked and noticed that valve clearance was triple of what I wanted it to be (2 valves of 8 )
I decided not to use any old cams or lifters and send poop like this to scrapmetal (I have 5-6 old cams)
I took it to apart before it kills everithing whats in there.
oil was dark and engine made a ticking noise.
It saw lean mixture, cause of too small injectors but pistons were OK.
I still have to replace atleast cam bearings but I do change them all.

I hope my friend from Miami could buy this mentioned cam from thesamba and webcam lifters from aircooled.net and send them to me. I'll get other parts from england
I have to get the parts in three weeks to put it together for an event in 1st of june.

atleast now I´m able to start it and spin it between 2000 and 2500RPM for breakin because I have some tune ON it.

I think I should go to garage and measure my injectors cause googeling it didn't give me an answer. The only way to get now how much power I had with stock engine :) I had 5.2 BAR fuel pressure on these new GM injetors and under boost they were 100% opened with 12:1 AFR
If I calculated that in stock they are in 140HP car and they should be around 75-80% duty usually and extra fuel pressure would give me 27% more fuel then it says that they should be able to feed 210-220hp as my mixture was 12 I'm still quite sure that stock type 4 makes 200hp with 1 bar of boost easy. :wink: It was really fun to drive with it,

When I watch my VE table I see that it had most power near 3000RPM and it has quite big loss at higher RPM. And thats how I felt when I was driving with it (without boost it was hopeless actually) With new cam I hope it pulls harder with higher revs, cause I really need it to pull to 6000RPM with 4th gear.

high boost area under 2600 is wrong ofcourse. I cant tune it because its never there but other areas were as I needed it to be (Not finetune ofcourse but it was quite close to my afr target table)
joosep

Post by joosep »

awful video but first three gears :)