2,4 type4 turbo 500hp -on gasoline- goal

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Wally

Re: 2,23 ltr type 4 turbo build-up

Post by Wally »

Wally wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:42 am
New cylinders will be 98mm birals from AA with new regular JE (edit Wiseco) piston rings.

:wink:
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Do these use the same case/head register size as common 103mm cylinders?

https://aapistons.com/products/98mm-mac ... -be-edited
Wally

Post by Wally »

Nope, much smaller. They look and feel top notch and measured out great, but my worry is the relatively thin wall thickness at the head register of just 3,5mm.

As it IS a direct replacement for me for just the cylinders and I want the car on the road again quickly, the strength is just something I need to test out.
My thinking is that if I can totally avoid knock, structural strength for just the cylinder pressures, even with over 100hp per cylinder, should be possible. I think...

But I am curieus what all of your thoughts are with that? Do you think it will hold under boost?
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Did you make it to e85 yet? Also have you had any issues throwing the belt?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Wally wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:57 am Nope, much smaller. They look and feel top notch and measured out great, but my worry is the relatively thin wall thickness at the head register of just 3,5mm.

As it IS a direct replacement for me for just the cylinders and I want the car on the road again quickly, the strength is just something I need to test out.
My thinking is that if I can totally avoid knock, structural strength for just the cylinder pressures, even with over 100hp per cylinder, should be possible. I think...

But I am curieus what all of your thoughts are with that? Do you think it will hold under boost?
Haha! This whole forum is pretty much run by dudes building 1600ish type one turbo motors. None of us have any experience with aluminum cylinders. We watch this thread to learn from YOU! :lol:
I look forward to your report on them. If anyone can make them work, it'll be you.
Wally

Post by Wally »

sweetlokin66 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:02 am Did you make it to e85 yet? Also have you had any issues throwing the belt?
Nope± no E85 as I can´t get it here or most places in europe anyways and as such its not really a pump fuel I can use on the road. For me anyways, butr I know its great with turbo engines, so its a pity its so scarce here..

The belt hasn´t been off even once 8)

Tnx Chip, but many others here do even more innovative things then me and we all learn from each other hey? :wink:
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Wally wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:25 pm
sweetlokin66 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:02 am Did you make it to e85 yet? Also have you had any issues throwing the belt?
Nope± no E85 as I can´t get it here or most places in europe anyways and as such its not really a pump fuel I can use on the road. For me anyways, butr I know its great with turbo engines, so its a pity its so scarce here..

The belt hasn´t been off even once 8)

Tnx Chip, but many others here do even more innovative things then me and we all learn from each other hey? :wink:
Sorry to here about the e85 - gov't is trying to push it over here so it's easier to get. We will find out about the AA cylinders together - I run there barrels also (Steel Version). Trying to get about 2 bar out of them all said and done.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Finally got the long block back together:

Oettinger crank, Pauter rods, Pauter cam and cam gear:

www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

Nice to see progress on the repairs Walter! Did you also do some modifications besides the repairs?

Mark
Wally

Post by Wally »

Only slight smoothing of the valve intake and exhaust guide bridges and I noticed the shield of the VR sensor wasn’t connected to earth, so that might had something to do with the misfires. At least, I hope so!
So basically, no, not really, just hope it runs even better and more reliable.
Knock sensing now on both spark plugs, so I hope that works well, because then I dare put a bit more tuning into it 😉
Will also install a new WI set-up as my old one had a short in it.
All in all, it sounds promising, but only if I get it all to work together...

Wally

Post by Wally »

Did a little more remounting everything again. Looks purdy when everything is still clean :lol:

www.apfelbeck.nl
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

WOW!
Better to be blown than to suck!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah.... What he said!
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

Those are very nice updates Walter! And it really looks very nice like this. A shame that it needs the cooling covers. :D

Are you also planning to put your car on the dyno again after the rebuild?

Enjoy driving the car again soon!

Mark
blue thunder

Post by blue thunder »

Looking good Wally! Sometimes it feels like a shame to put so many beautiful parts somewhere you don't see them anymore and get covered in oil-mist and grime.