MS3v3 System for CNP and EFI/Turbo "Beetle"

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
kangaboy

Re: MS3v3 System for CNP and EFI/Turbo- "E85 and Bigger Injectors"

Post by kangaboy »

Welp, got the new fuel lines buttoned up tonight, turned on the fuel pump a few times and didn't get any leaks. So far so good. Getting all the piping put back together tomorrow and gonna take the new injectors for a test run. Still hoping and praying for no leaks
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Got to take a test drive finally. Updated the injectors to 820 in TS, and then fired it up. Seemed to start and idle fine, then I took it up the road and it went hella lean. Could barely get home. I upped all Fuel VE cells by 25, then it seemed to work well enough to get the engine warmed up so I could autotune. I found a nice little 1 mile stretch of outer road that is rarely used and got a few hot laps in. By about the 6th or 7th go, we finally had a decent fuel map. Still have it at 8psi, but I really wanna see what it can do with the new injectors. I got the base map done and then had to head home to change all the cells to allow a higher KPA. Little concerned that the car felt a bit more sluggish, and took a few more seconds to get into boost, and I had no clue what was causing that. I floored it one more time on the way home and saw my TPS sensor only get up to 73%, so clearly I didn't get my throttle cable attached correctly. Should be an easy fix in the morning.
Got home and checked the fuel lines and all is still well :D
Super happy about that. The new hard lines look cool, and I'm really stoked I was able to add that aspect of safety to my engine bay.
Currently I'm trying to adjust all the table rows in Fuel and Timing to give some more boost areas. I also updated the boost map a little to operate the boost solenoid that I put in. Going to do some more testing tomorrow to find out what number to use on the boost map to get me to 20lbs.

2084 Turbo Build
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Looks like I got to my end of summer goal a little early. Went out to do some tuning and mess with the boost control and wound it up to 20psi while I was at it. Boy that was fun :twisted:
It pulls well, gets up to 80 pretty quick, and all the logs look pretty good. Only got up to about 50% duty on the injectors, so that upgrade was way worth it. Fuel rails are still in place and leak free, which makes that upgrade well worth the time as well.
I did notice at one point when I was doing a pull in third, the clutch started to slip a bit just before the shift to 4th. That's good in the fact that the motor is putting out some power...bad in the fact that I will have to deal with it, as I know so many of you have had to in the past.
Time to just keep putting the miles on it I guess. Next upgrade is likely to be a rebuild of the front beam. I have new ball joints and tie rod ends, and also the beam adjusters to get my fender gaps a little smaller in the front. :D
2084 Turbo Build
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Went out and did some more driving today. Clutch slip is very noticeable at the end of third...*sigh*
2084 Turbo Build
kangaboy

Re: MS3v3 System for CNP and EFI/Turbo- "Upgrading Clutch"

Post by kangaboy »

Anyone else put their cars away for winter yet? I have so many upgrades that I am looking to do this "winter" that I'm about to call it quits for the year.
For the trans axle, I think I have made up my mind on a built up 091. There was a few gentlemen at the last bug show that I went to that suggested the 091, and talked of the failures of a bunch of type 1 transaxles. One guy runs a boosted 2332cc, and the other, while I don't know his combo, is running 11's at the track. I don't really mind going the 091 route, because I would just like to build a strong trans once and be done with it. Just future proof it to 350hp or something and call it a day. So with that said, I begin the hunt for a 6 rib bus transaxle.
Next big problem that I have kinda put on the back burner is the fact that I have a four dowel crank. Every time I floor the bug now I think about this, and every time I think about putting the new clutch and pressure plate in and turning up the boost, I think about the flywheel spinning off. So while I want to get an 8 dowel c/w and balanced crank in this motor, I could just build a new motor one to fit my needs. I have trouble justifying this with the way this long block has held up thus far though. I have been dreaming about a 78.4x92 thick wall build for quite some time though...so Idk what to do about that. I originally built my current long block to get 30 mpg on the high way and never planned to rev it. The story has changed since then, so maybe my motor should too.
Sure have had a lot of positives this year though. Looks like I put about 13,000 miles on the turbo motor since around April 2016, and I see that number going up each year with each upgrade. The addition of E85 and the flex fuel sensor made for a real fun time (along with the required upgrade to larger injectors), and the addition of the hard fuel lines and fitting added nice peace of mind along with safety. Looking forward to pulling out the front beam soon and installing new tie rod ends and ball joints, as well as lowering it a couple inches, which has been something I have really been wanting to do for a while...I'm still just waiting for the right time to do it.
Well, that's enough rambling for now....just haven't posted in a while and wanted to give an update. I guess no updates could be a good thing, as in my case, nothing has really been going wrong...just putting on the miles with smiles

Last edited by kangaboy on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
2084 Turbo Build
madmike

Post by madmike »

I've have such good luck with type 1 trans's ,, are u going thew them ? breaking them?
yea , time to 'Hibernate' the Bug & Buggy , parking the Bus soon too :roll: , we've had snow already, non-sticking on the ground as of yet, 31* this morning :roll:
their's a jig u can drill & 8 dowel the crank in the car :wink: but I really like DPR 's CW cranks or old Scat
My next build is gonna be a 78x92tw or 94's :lol: with turbo of course
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

madmike wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:24 am their's a jig u can drill & 8 dowel the crank in the car :wink:
I'd pay good money to see someone drill those added 4 dowels with the engine installed :lol:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Chip Birks wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:04 am
madmike wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:24 am their's a jig u can drill & 8 dowel the crank in the car :wink:
I'd pay good money to see someone drill those added 4 dowels with the engine installed :lol:
I want video :twisted:
The individual that came up with that marketing promise never looked at an ACVW too hard.

I upgraded my clutch to a torque converter with an automatic in front of it.
(I considered it a prerequisite along with the brakes and suspension/tires etc)

As to duty cycle... An MS3+ms3x setup can do staged sequential on a 4 banger, if you had issues idling with the 1000s, you could have a set of say 230 or 450s and the 1000s come online as required.

I plan on using the original lowz driver setup I built for my first ms2 install, had 4 dumb coil and 4 lowz injector hardware drivers in a spare ms1 box.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Piledriver wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 am
Chip Birks wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:04 am
I want video :twisted:
The individual that came up with that marketing promise never looked at an ACVW too hard.

I upgraded my clutch to a torque converter with an automatic in front of it.
(I considered it a prerequisite along with the brakes and suspension/tires etc)

As to duty cycle... An MS3+ms3x setup can do staged sequential on a 4 banger, if you had issues idling with the 1000s, you could have a set of say 230 or 450s and the 1000s come online as required.

I plan on using the original lowz driver setup I built for my first ms2 install, had 4 dumb coil and 4 lowz injector hardware drivers in a spare ms1 box.
Never had a problem with the 1000s, I installed 2200s on a whim last month. They actually drive pretty decent, i don't think I'd be able to get away with gas though. This is a full time e85 rig now.
buguy

Post by buguy »

What?!?! I guess I have more reading to do on MS. I don't have a clue what to do guys are even talking about!!
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

I'm at 820cc now on my injectors and they only run about 50% duty cycle at 15ish pounds of boost. I had to add quite a bit of fuel to the lower idle fuel cells, which didn't make too much sense because I thought the FlexFuel sensor would take care of that, but I changed them and it ended up working. I'm just really concerned about filling up with a tank of 89 or 91 octane without having my laptop. Feel like I would have to manually change the cells back. Maybe I need two tuning files? One for E85 and one for gasoline? But then I would still have to have my lap top with me...
2084 Turbo Build
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The GM sensor with std setup for it works well, but you do need an e85 tune for the second table...
The firmware does a nice job blending at in-between ethanol %, automagically. :lol:
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

You shouldn't need to tables the simple calculation works fine. I ended up completely reworking my ignition table for the e85 as an experiment, because of that, I needed two different fuel maps, and then blended between them. I finally simplified mine the other day and got rid of all of the gas stuff. Trying to tune 4 fuel tables was getting crazy, now I'm just down to a nice simple 2 fuel and single ignition.

Be brave Kanga, put gas in, just make sure it retards timing in the flex fuel settings. Also make sure boost comes down too.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Chip Birks wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:54 am Be brave Kanga, put gas in, just make sure it retards timing in the flex fuel settings. Also make sure boost comes down too.
Well it only took me 6 more months of running e85, but I finally filled the gas tank with 89 octane last night. I didn't do anything to my tables and just left it in the hands of the flex fuel sensor. After filling it up and driving it home from the gas station, there were no hiccups or anything. So I guess the ecu and sensor are doing their job. I ran it up to 5psi to see if there were any ill effects, but all seems well. Drove it 30 mile to work today and all seems to be running great. The start up this morning in the 50* weather was very noticeable with the switch from e85 to gasoline, as the time to start it was significantly less with the gas. It also seems a little more peppy in the lower rpm range as well (I know, both of these can be fixed with a better tune, but it goes to say something about the different fuels). One thing I know I'm looking forward to is not having to fill up every two days with the increased gas mileage, and also being able to stop at any gas station instead of looking for the illusive e85 stations.
So with this little experiment, I cant decide if I need another fuel table. I will do some logs running the 89octane vs the e85, but if the sensor and ecu are doing their jobs, why would I need separate fuel tables?
Also, I really need to get the boost switch that I started making last year installed in the car. Not limiting my boost to ~8psi while on pump gas would be no good for me :roll:
2084 Turbo Build
buguy

Post by buguy »

I've been wondering how the Flex fuel sensor has been working. I'm about to mine as well.