SOLD - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
rubenski

Re: NEW plan - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

Post by rubenski »

Hi pete,

I had that plate/riser that bolts under your stock shifter in my blue bug.

Didnt have any complaints about it.

It works perfect if you just set it up right.

But its like that with all things...

On the other hand, i have a gene berg shifter now in the buggy and it shifts verry good.

The only akward thing is when non car guys ask: is it an automatic?
Better to be blown than to suck!
petew

Post by petew »

I've used a GB shifter. To be honest, I didn't really like it... and the reverse lockout didn't work properly either.
madmike

Post by madmike »

" Automatic" :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Yeah, just the way the t-handle looks.

Without the shiftpatern printed on top...
Better to be blown than to suck!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Automatic: 090 VW transmission that can be built to handle twin turbo V8s.
Manual T1/T2 transmissions that can be modded to reliably take half that power for any amount of $:
none exist.

Even the 003 seems capable of reliable operation with a couple hundred HP with only minor work.
That would be hard to do with any manual acvw trans for under ~$5K, if possible at all..
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
petew

Post by petew »

Isn't the lack of "freeway friendly" R&P ratios also an issue for the 090 and 003 autos?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

petew wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:07 pm Isn't the lack of "freeway friendly" R&P ratios also an issue for the 090 and 003 autos?
You can get really tall aftermarket R&P for the 090s (down to 3.2ish) and I have a 3.67 final in my 003, runs about the same RPMs at 75MPH as it did in 4th. The really tall R&P are commonly used for Subaru etc conversions in Vanagons.

The taller R&Ps can be installed DIY, as can rebuilding the entire auto trans, the only significant "special tool" truly needed is a clean workspace. (I'm working hard on that currently)

The 003 is not the dying slushbox most of us remember driving with an asthmatic, worn out 1600DP attached.
It will benefit greatly from a 3K stall converter tho, although the 2K is actually fine with the current 1.8L ~Bus motor.
It manually shifts great and works nice.

I never did rebuild it, when I started digging in, it all looked as new, so I popped it back together with the required new seals and a little tweak here and there, and shelved the hipo friction and rebuild kit until I hit the limits of stock.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
petew

Post by petew »

If I had my time again... and some more displacement, an auto might be attractive.

On another topic. Been driving the car the last few days and I noticed a hesitation on gear changes. Ie, you release the clutch, put a little throttle and it takes a fraction of a second to catch and go.

I gather there is an adjustment in TS I need to make to fix this. What is it?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You might be able to bump up your accel settings to fix that.

Check your logs and see if you are getting a lean spike at tps movement.
Either richen up the VE bins right above idle and 1500 up to 90-100 kpa or add a little accel shot.

Make sure you do a "Save AS" before changing anything in case it doesn't go well.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

I might be misunderstanding the boxes, but I think I might have enrichment turned off altogether.
Accel settings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Get a log of a couple short cruises at steady speed with a few accelerations to show the lean spike.
Post the log and the tune file.

I was messing with mine before the weather hit and got a lot of the annoyances out of it with a few tweaks.

What I do is get my idle set just where I want it and them lock out a square of boxes right around the idle bins so it never gets changed during an Autotune run.

From what I can see you don't have a lot of extra stuff running but you still have accel enrich. The two settings you have off can stay that way.

What you can do is raise that yellow line by changing the numbers in the boxes. Also down below... the "Accel TPSdot Threshold(%)" can be changed too.

Yours is at 200 which means you don't get any accel unless you have a big and fast throttle change.

I changed my number to 75 or 50 and then changed the ramping of the yellow line.

Do the "Save As" and play with those a little.

Change 200 to 75.....
Change the second dot on the yellow line up a few and then watch your afr when blipping the throttle and also when accelerating from a cruise.
You can really fine tune it with those settings......you just have to get your head around what each change does which can be a little confusing......therefore.......SAVE AS.....!!!!!! ;)

Go to that screen when sitting still and watch the accel dot move as you blip and stab the throttle while sitting still. You can get an idea of what you need to do along with observing the afr gauge.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

When initially setting up the VE tables, turning the accels and most of the enrichments are needed on a port injected AVCW. (The defaults are nuts for our motors)

Once you have a reasonable VE table taught, simply turning on EAE tends to work, at least NA, IME, MOUSE.
(sorry, overloaded on acronyms :lol: )
petew

Post by petew »

1. Got the empi quickshift in last night. Working quite nicely.
2. Changed the 200 to 75. Helped a lot. Then fattened up the bins just above idle like you suggested. Hesisation is gone... :)

Thanks heaps. I'm sure there's more to do, but for now it's a lot better.
petew

Post by petew »

Been a HUGE day today. Car show today, then Christmas Carols this evening despite some awful weather. The rusty heap of junk did me proud and got heaps of compliments. And with all that rain, it got a wash too. :)

IMG20171202214457.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's awesome!