SOLD - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
petew

Re: NEW plan - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

Post by petew »

Pretty pleased with how this came out. The titebond sets pretty fast and succeeded in pulling most of the glovebox back together.

IMG20170322152202.jpg

IMG20170322152230.jpg

Prior to gluing, the whole thing was splitting down the main crack and falling apart. The titebond sets hard like a rock. It doesn't look flash, but it's in one piece. I could make a new fibreglass one, but for now I reckon this will do. It's installed in the car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
petew

Post by petew »

Pulled the valve covers and adjusted the valves. There wasn't a lot of clearance there at all. I guess that's everything settling in. Also put a quickshift kit in. Now I can drive the car in 4th gear without my left knee jammed against the steering wheel. ;)

I just wish it would stop raining so I can do some real driving. :|
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Set the autotune so it avoids the idle range, and use the separate idle timing and idle VE tables leave the main table for driving, with a bit more timing, you'll understand why once you try it.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
petew

Post by petew »

I've locked out that section before. I'll have to do it again. The other issue I have is the car is hunting pretty badly on warmup. Not sure what to do with that.

In other news; couldn't get reverse to work properly with the shift kit. My son pushed me out of garage so we could go and collect my daughter. Pulled the silly thing out for now. Typical Empi. :(
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Hunting usually means it's lean.

My engine seems to prefer ~12.5:1-13 AFR at idle. YMMV.

Aircooled engines with proper injector aim and timing warm up FAST and need a tiny fraction of the WUE% in the default tables, which are for a SBC.

Setting it is done just like best lean idle procedure on Webers (or stock solexes), except you are clicking a mouse on up and down arrows instead of spinning a fuel mix screw. Only adjust when at operating temps, and fix the rest with the WUE curve, which can be set using the built in wizard in TS...

... you just have to set the desired AFR right in that range and let the WBO2 sensor get hot with the key on first so the engine isn't halfway warmed up by the time it starts reading anything.

If you have the "extended air-cooled CLT range" set in the left menus, you can for example add fuel when over a chosen temperature to cool things down etc, same for "cold timing".
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
petew

Post by petew »

My version of TS (v3.0.18) has no "Wizard", only "Tune analyze live!". I've not a great deal of success using it for WUE in the past.

I did find the "extended air-cooled CLT range". :)

A completely different WUE curve! I'll give it a try. ;)
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The tune analyze live feature IS the wizard.
petew

Post by petew »

Ooooh.... yeah, I knew that. Yeah... :oops:

#villageidiot.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The auto wue feature has its own tab... You'll find it.
It may take a few tries and some manual smoothing but it does work much better than guesstimating.
petew

Post by petew »

Ran the auto WUE this evening. Heaps better. now to do some other tuning.

BTW, what revs are people idling their motors?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mine idles at around 900-1100.
I don't like a real low idle.....seems to make it to sensitive on taking off from a stop.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The stock "tune up" settings are meaningless on a modified engine. Use what work best.

It largely depends on the cam, stock can use stock idle speed, but a longer duration cam with overlap tends to leave large amounts of residual exhaust gas in the chamber and even the intake tract, this "variable EGR" is where the lumpy/erratic idle comes from.

A faster idle is needed for smooth operation.

Also, a slightly faster idle provides better hot idle oil pressure.

I have seen folks try to set the idle speed to ~500 RPM because they can, then they wonder why the oil light keeps coming on... Stock for a T1 is ~875 IIRC, T4s were 975 RPM. Lower is not better.
petew

Post by petew »

I tried it at 900 and it was happier. 1000 was also pretty good, 950 and it's tending to hunt a bit. I think this has to do with my ign table...
Ignition table 26.3.17.jpg
It's sitting in the 75kpa area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Use the idle control features for idle...
...dont try to control idle with the main tables, it doesn't work as well, plus you can give it a bit of timing kick on tip in.
petew

Post by petew »

Just looked at the idle control box again. Will changing the idle "valve frequency" help things much?