SOLD - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
petew

Re: NEW plan - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

Post by petew »

It's about 2" from the turbo like they ask, but it's still killing WBs at a rate of one per year or so.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I assume you mean 2' feet, not 2" inches right? I have widebands 7 inches from my exhaust ports. They have survived for 2 seasons so far. They are on inch tall and grooved bungs though, so not much sensor actually hangs into the exhaust.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Is it killing the sensor or the controller?
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I have been running my wideband sensor about 3 inches from the turbo for several years without any issues. I am using the $150 Inovative unit, have heard of some guys having problems with them but I guess I have been lucky.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Make sure you have them in the 10:00 or 2:00 o-clock position to keep the condensation out of the O2 sensor.
Unless it is the controller going bad.

My PLX has been going for almost 4 years without an issue and on the same O2 sensor.
I even have two spare sensors.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Do you ever clean it when you've had it out? I wipe mine off but I don't know if there is a better way. Mine is always sootie, but I'm still tuning.
petew

Post by petew »

Chip Birks wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:30 pm Is it killing the sensor or the controller?
The sensor.

And yes it's 2 feet from the turbo or there abouts. It's pointing down into the exhaust almost vertical (between 10 and 2), so all should be fine. But no. :(
buguy

Post by buguy »

Weird. Sounds like a safe place for it.
madmike

Post by madmike »

My O2 sensor died last summer too :( and they aren't cheap :cry:
panel

Post by panel »

buguy wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:17 pm Do you ever clean it when you've had it out? I wipe mine off but I don't know if there is a better way. Mine is always sootie, but I'm still tuning.

Never heard of anyone cleaning/wiping the O2 sensor. Is this something you've just done on your own or is this something that should be done from the wideband or O2 manufacturers ?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Its possible for the sensor to be too hot or too cold, either gives incorrect readings, the internal heater only has so much capacity,

Some oe turbos have the sensor bung in the exhaust housing...

The only WBO2 sensor controllers that provide sensor temp are a few of the 14point7.com ones, although that includes the $35 version.

It would probably be a good idea to measure the pipe and egt at the spots you are considering, and also avoid spots where you might get the sensor sprayed with water condensate while warming things up.
(sensor inside of a bend, as long as you are still pointing up)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I have no idea if your supposed to clean them. Mine is just covered in soot the couple times I've had it off so I just wipe it off.
petew

Post by petew »

Last week was possibly the worst work week ever. Right on my return from holidays. So I've been super low and not really coping much with life. Went off to see my counsellor today. Drove the bug through 90min of traffic to get there. Nearly drove up another car's tail in traffic. That didn't half scare the hell of me!

Turns out I've got anxiety/depression. Not especially serious, but I've got work on it by doing the things I enjoy, even if I don't feel like it. So after driving the car all day, I decided to fiddle with the throttle stop to solve an issue it has with dying from time to time. In doing so, I found out some good news...

1. The turbo isn't leaking oil.
As a few of you know, I had an ongoing issue with this. Well there were trace of amounts of oil just above the turbo, but not in the intercooler or inlet tract. Yay!

2. I've got no blow by.
I was worried about this, because the khanacross I did last year gave the motor a slight dusting due to not enough air cleaner. I was worried it's been leaking oil, because of blow by, but no. No blow by at idle or at revs. Yay!

So, I still have a few oil leaks to sort, but nothing serious. I can stop stressing about hurting the motor and start on upgrades. Injectors, bleed valve and ratio rocker/moly pushrods are all ready for me to out them in. I'm waiting to hear about some seatbelt mounts, but aside of that it's ready for full certification too.

So today has turned out a lot better than I thought it might. :)

On another note, we're planning our August US trip at the mo. I'll contact a few of you to tee up meetings if that's ok. Love to meet you and see your rides. We're doing Route 66 in a pretty relaxed manner starting at LA.

P.s. if you think you've got issues with anxiety or depression, go do something about it. Tell your family and your friends. You don't have to suffer on your own.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hang in their Pete :D , I was wondering why you've been so quiet :? :wink:
panel

Post by panel »

Did you get the new O2 sensor in there yet ?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians