SOLD - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: NEW plan - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

Post by buguy »

That's crazy!
petew

Post by petew »

Yep. They're basically trying to make it harder and harder for people to drive old or modified cars. :(

The sad thing being, most forms of motorsport is based on older cars. It's going to kill all manner of stuff if they succeed. This is linked with crazy property prices in Sydney. The average house price here is above a million dollars. So, even if you own an old car, you can't mod it easily and storing it can cost as much as keeping it registered.
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's a shame. Most car guys are a good group. They are going to ruin it.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

That’s crazy isn’t it?! Sounds purely a money making thing!!
petew

Post by petew »

It's not even about the money, it's about outlawing (or making it impossible to register) modified cars. They want everyone to drive a brand new, standard car. Bad for a variety of reasons given Australia is a place cars don't rust much. So re-powering an old car makes a lot of sense. And most accidents here involve dead standard cars. The engineer was really ticked about it yesterday because there was a mass recall of dangerous airbags in Australia. The sort that have actually killed people. Yet the state govt only told people to get them fixed. When there was a shortage of new airbags to replace the faulty units, but the state govt did nothing. However, if it was a modified car, they'd de-register it until it was fixed. A double standard.

My guess is, like other changes, modifiers will find a way around the laws. There is a way to get around the crazy brake testing by using a full brake system off an existing car of similar dimensions. There'll be kits using factory components. It's already happening. That's how I'll do my hot-rod (still gotta convince the wife, lol). My problem will be trying to build something bantam weight using a production car of similar size. But people will figure it out.

The state govt is trying to push for ABS to be installed on every new hot-rod as well. That ain't never gonna happen. Even Bosch had told them it would require the Federal govt spending a million dollars minimum to develop a system that people could adapt. The feds are never going to throw money at that, and hot-rod clubs have a fair bit of clout over here. They'll fight it hard.

Anyway, point is, next time you complain you're not allowed to do this or that in the US or UK, have a heart for us here down under. It's gone completely nanny state. :(
petew

Post by petew »

Oh I forgot to mention. Emissions are still tied to the motor year model, not the car. So there's goes my plan for a neat Subaru EJ turbo install. Ridiculous that I'm allowed a 2442cc turbo VW, but an EJ would have to be dead stock, cat, ECU, turbo, intercooler, etc.
66brm

Post by 66brm »

There's a lotus seven replica over here that runs a full Ford sierra cosworth drive line, capable of dipping sub tens on the quarter mile with enough boost dialled in. It's happening here too
petew

Post by petew »

Some more news. For those of you that don't know, I'm church pastor. Today I publicly announced that I'm leaving my current church come the end of the year. Everyone while sad, is taking reasonably well. That's said, I don't yet know where we'll be next year, job, suburb, house, schools, garage size, etc. It's all up in the air. So, if you're believer, I'd appreciate your prayers. I'm looking forward to the change, but it will all be stressful. :roll:

P.s. and I know my wife is keen for me to thin my parts collection when we move. Good luck. :D
buguy

Post by buguy »

Wow that's a scary thing huh? You have my prayers! If you end up moving, there is a YouTube channel called "youngbloods spearfishing " that I'm absolutely in love with. Its in Australia somewhere. You should go wherever that is! So beautiful there! Oh and get a huge garage of course!!
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

petew wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 pm Some more news. For those of you that don't know, I'm church pastor. Today I publicly announced that I'm leaving my current church come the end of the year. Everyone while sad, is taking reasonably well. That's said, I don't yet know where we'll be next year, job, suburb, house, schools, garage size, etc. It's all up in the air. So, if you're believer, I'd appreciate your prayers. I'm looking forward to the change, but it will all be stressful. :roll:

P.s. and I know my wife is keen for me to thin my parts collection when we move. Good luck. :D
do you get any say in it? or just, your needed here, this is the house? like you say, stressful!

hope it goes well, a change is good now and again!
petew

Post by petew »

buguy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:28 am Wow that's a scary thing huh? You have my prayers! If you end up moving, there is a YouTube channel called "youngbloods spearfishing " that I'm absolutely in love with. Its in Australia somewhere. You should go wherever that is! So beautiful there! Oh and get a huge garage of course!!
:lol: You guys are hilarious. Most of Australia's coastline is beautiful. But the salt air isn't particularly kind to old VWs. We'll be around Sydney somewhere though. My daughter needs to be here for the next few years.

Andy, we get a lot of say in it. I've already applied for a bunch of things and turned down 3 possible positions. I'm not scared really. God's been very good to us. I've not really had to look for a job properly in 20 years. Things have largely just kinda happened. So I'm sure we'll be looked after this time too. I just need to be patient. :)
buguy

Post by buguy »

I feel ya brother. I'm about a mile and a half from the ocean.
petew

Post by petew »

Yay! I have my mod papers! All done, all paid for. I need a number change now at the records office and it's good to go. Then an inspection and I can do club rego. :)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

It has to be a great feeling... congrats! 8) :wink:

Lee
petew

Post by petew »

Taken a while, would have been easier if I'd pulled my finger out sooner!