Building A Water To Air Intercooler

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
risk

Building A Water To Air Intercooler

Post by risk »

Finally taking the plunge and building a water to air intercooler.

Scored a stock Eagle Talon intercooler off ebay for $10.. Suppose to fit 90-94 Talon. It looked like it would be a good fit based on my throttle body and turbo location. First I pressure tested it to 30psi with no leaks.

(sorry for the crappy ebay pic)
Screenshot_2015-03-31-14-10-09.png
I cut the ends off before I could take a good pic.. Started out by just holding it in place with some wire.
20150321_215441.jpg
Next I figured out what angle bend I needed for the inlet side.. Used a piece of copper wire to get the angle. Low-tech but it works!

Ended up being close to a 30 degree bend.
20150321_215708.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
risk

Re: Building A Water To Air Intercooler

Post by risk »

Got the 3" outlet welded on the top.. lots of grinding to get a good fit. It will connect to the throttle body with a 90 degree silicone coupler.
20150325_142926.jpg
20150325_135003.jpg
20150331_143724.jpg
20150331_143747.jpg

Then I put the intercooler back on the car, and lined up the inlet side 30 degree bend. After getting the tubing fitted, I opened up the hole to fit the bigger inlet size. Lots of grinding here too.

Got it tacked in place..
20150330_180144.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

nicely fabbed mate!

whats your throttle cable setup?
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Looks GREAT! Gonna keep the deck shut?
Karl

DON'T QUIT
risk

Post by risk »

Thanks! Decklid still closes, thats the first thing I checked. My old charge pipe would tap the decklid under hard acceleration, so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of clearance this time around.

Throttle cable is from CB performance, part # 3357
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

risk wrote:Thanks! Decklid still closes, thats the first thing I checked. My old charge pipe would tap the decklid under hard acceleration, so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of clearance this time around.

Throttle cable is from CB performance, part # 3357

cheers buddy
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

Looks good, can't wait to see the rest.
Type 3 Subaru powered EJ25
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Nice!
Stripped66

Post by Stripped66 »

Nice work!

On a similar note (and not intentionally a thread-jack), how effective do you think this air-to-water IC will be? I have a large air-to-air IC that I've contemplated converting into an air-to-water IC; I've read that air-to-water IC cores are different (though I've never seen the difference) and using an air-to-air core would not be as effective. Any thoughts? Just internet BS, is there a difference, or is the difference not significant enough?
risk

Post by risk »

How effective? I have no idea... but even if it removes 50 degrees of IAT it's a win in my book.

I read that article, and some others.. looked at water vs air cores, priced some name brand water to air cores, got sticker shock.. In the end I decided that an OEM intercooler would be a good, cheap way to try it out.

I think that one of the important things is the way you flow water in and out of the IC core.. This is where the aftermarket water to air units fall short... Most of the ones I have seen just flow water in and out on opposite sides. It seems like there are parts of the core that wouldn't recieve much flow, and other parts that would flow too much to have sufficient time to draw heat out.

In my opinion, the IC needs to have some sort of distribution tanks, like end tanks on a cars radiator.. and needs cool water coming in near the bottom, and hot water coming out near the top. I have an idea on how to improve the distribution that I'll show next time I post up my progress.
Stripped66

Post by Stripped66 »

risk wrote:I have an idea on how to improve the distribution that I'll show next time I post up my progress.
I look forward to it! :D
risk

Post by risk »

Progress!

Welded a short piece of 1" tubing on for the blow off valve, and got the sides all tacked in place.
20150403_184743.jpg
So here's my idea:

The "tank" end will have pieces of rectangular alum stock to act as dividers. The coolant will flow through one side of the divider, into the front of the IC. Then the hot coolant will then flow from the back side of the IC, into the other side of the divider and out to the radiator.

-cold coolant IN is on bottom

-hot coolant OUT is on top
20150403_190440.jpg
20150403_191758.jpg
So, do you guys think it will work well?

:?:
sweetlokin66

Post by sweetlokin66 »

Stripped66 wrote:Nice work!

On a similar note (and not intentionally a thread-jack), how effective do you think this air-to-water IC will be? I have a large air-to-air IC that I've contemplated converting into an air-to-water IC; I've read that air-to-water IC cores are different (though I've never seen the difference) and using an air-to-air core would not be as effective. Any thoughts? Just internet BS, is there a difference, or is the difference not significant enough?
Its a bunch of internet crap to purposfully sell two different styles of cores. A core is a core whose efficiency mainly is driven by the convection heat transfer coefficients of the fluids, how much flow for both fluids is achievable, surface area available (how many fins/size of fins you have), and how thick the fins are. So other then sizes of cores all they can offer is how well the core is designed. To make an explaination simple you would have to run a larger air to air intercooler to match the efficiency of any given size of water to air intercooler based on the same core design, however if the design of the core you choose to make the water to air is less efficient then the air to air core, you may have to run a larger water to air to match the efficiency of a better designed air to air core. The only problem with the water to air intercoolers is the secondary requirements to keep the water a constant temperature for the system because eventually the water will reach the same temp as your charge or higher because of other factors (Heat generated by the engine/turbo/exhaust) heat soaking into the system. This is where you either run an icebox or a higher efficiency radiator then your intercooler or ideally both to stay ahead and limit any normalization.

Air to air doesn't need this secondary system which makes it more desirable because there is always a fresh supply of air as long as its not in some sort of recirculation. If it was then it would run into the same normalization problem and would need a secondary system to cool the recalculated air which is redundant.
panel

Post by panel »

Great how to here.......viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113515
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians