MadMike's 'Casper' 76 bug

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
madmike

Re: My latest ride

Post by madmike »

Glad your having a good time :wink: :lol: 8)
show was good up here too with only 90*f :lol: I parked next to a 'turboed' cummins diesel ratrod 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Nice diesel rod!

Rollin' coal.

Nothing like that here in belgium...
Better to be blown than to suck!
madmike

Post by madmike »

He took 1st truck place award up here @ St Ignace car show 600+ entries :shock: 8) 8) 8)
madmike

Post by madmike »

I think my Autometer oil pressure gauge took a $hit :roll: zero oil pressure :cry:
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

i brought a cheap mechanical gauge and keep it in a tool box in the shed to double check things like that, takes the worry out of it!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Stock light is good enough for me
madmike

Post by madmike »

Thanks guys ,,Think I'll pick up a cheap Mechanical gauge today
petew

Post by petew »

Chip Birks wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:21 pm Stock light is good enough for me
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If you are talking about the red oil pressure/idiot light, we have talked about that several times before. It comes on at about 6#s or less. A oil pressure gauge will tell you of a problem a lot sooner than the light will. The loss of two engines due to oil pressure problems (steep grades) told me that. The idiot light came on about a slow 1/4 mile (or farther) after the oil gauge let me know of the problem. I made it back to camp just as the light came on and the engine was toast.

Lee
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I don't use the stock sensor, mine comes on when I tell it to based on rpm. All controlled by the ecu.
petew

Post by petew »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:38 pm If you are talking about the red oil pressure/idiot light, we have talked about that several times before. It comes on at about 6#s or less. A oil pressure gauge will tell you of a problem a lot sooner than the light will. The loss of two engines due to oil pressure problems (steep grades) told me that. The idiot light came on about a slow 1/4 mile (or farther) after the oil gauge let me know of the problem. I made it back to camp just as the light came on and the engine was toast.

Lee
Will a more sensitive oil pressure sensor suffice?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Pete, to be honest I don't know if there is such a thing as a more sensitive sender but there could be and I don't know about it. Normally I run a combination of both the gauge and the light as a just in-case back up. I did do a search (below) and saw senders that I am just not sure if they were just electric or a combination light sender and/or gauge sender or just what as I didn't do an individual search on them.

To state the obvious a Tee can be added allowing both an oil pressure sender and a mount for the idiot light. The way I did it was the Tee and a non-electric sender for the gauge; while it never let me down I just didn't like the long tube. I seem to remember that there is/was an electric pressure sender with a "bulb" in the unit for the pressure sender and an idiot light sender but the advice given here for mounting it was having the bulb be positioned to hang down so the oil would stay in the bulb for a proper reading.

I did several seaches using different search wording combination and found pictures of the Tee method (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=co ... &FORM=IGRE https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=co ... &FORM=IGRE) and several other image groupings most of the same things shown in these two were in the other searches.

I'm not sure if the the all-in-one is available now as I couldn't find the unit I remember seeing.

The oil pressure loss is why I went to the sump.

Lee
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I have a sender that i watch with my ecu, i can tell the light to come on whenever i want, and have an rpm based curve attached.
petew

Post by petew »

I guess I've tried to keep gauges to a minimum to avoid being over run with information I can't realistically process. I do have a deep sump and cooler to deal with heat and starvation issues.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

petew wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:47 pm I guess I've tried to keep gauges to a minimum to avoid being over run with information I can't realistically process. I do have a deep sump and cooler to deal with heat and starvation issues.
Pete, the same thing here, they can be distractions as well as good guys.

When out on the dunes you have a lot more to be aware of as there are no roads and limited narrow trails with idiots that only look where they are going; e.g., things that need your attention more than concentrating on the gauges. The dual light and gauge, in my case, told me to head back to camp because my oil pressure had gone south. That gauge is worth at least the oddasional peek as the red light can take a while to indicate (you have to understand how the idiot light sender is built so it takes so long to indicate). You can change the light to a buzzer but holy cow, is that going to be an irritation before you get back home :shock: :roll:

I also have a tach which I seldom use other than it is set to where the red (shift) light that comes on at 5000 rpms. I try to stay below that RPM range.

When I have it in line, I still use an AMP gauge 'cause that tells me current flow so if I have a problem like an intermittent or full short or if I am drawing more current than the ALT is putting out, this gives me more info than a Volt meter does (remember, I am old here and played with older cars from the late 20s and up most of which did use AMP gauge then, later year cars had no gauge then an idiot light).

My black buggy will have a fuel gauge but it will be correct only at full, half full and empty (round body AL tank). :roll:

My important gauges are usually mounted pretty much up high but not so much as they are in the line of viewing. Another reason the passenger seat is fixed and not movable forward... I need to see un-obstructed to the side. I also run rear or side view mirrors.

My situation might be different than yours so this is my thinking and why I do what I do.

Lee