New turbo project, need advise

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
las

Re: New turbo project, need advise

Post by las »

Fiatdude, that's one cool looking engine.

What about the intake going uphill! Did you have problems with fuel falling out of suspension?

How much HP did it make and do you remember what turbo you used?
las

Post by las »

I ordered the 042 Mofoco's a week ago, with a 37mm exhaust valve, dual springs, port and polished. can't wait for them to show up...

Today I got a reply from AJ sims on the turbo, wastegate and carb. And I'm now back to being unsure what to go for on the carb side.

Scat was out of stock on the 5.4" rods so I have to find a replacement, what about bugpack ones?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I have cb 5.4 h-beams in my turbo motor. No problems so far.
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

las wrote:Fiatdude, that's one cool looking engine.

What about the intake going uphill! Did you have problems with fuel falling out of suspension?

How much HP did it make and do you remember what turbo you used?
Never any problems with fuel at all -- it was a 2165 with a T3/T4 hybrid turbo from the guys at Performance Techniques in San Bernardino made for me to match my displacement and rpm range I ran -- They are great and a lot of the unlimited street guys on the East coast were using their turbos -- -- it made between 225 and 325 depending on what fuel and boost levels -- 325 HP was at 20 psi boost running gas from the local airport (100LL) -- -- Use to drive around all over the place with it -- -- ((Damn, I loved that car LOL))
las

Post by las »

I would rather stay away from CB products altogether, I haven't had much luck with their parts, although they probably get their parts the same place as everyone else.....(won't start a fight over it:-)

On the CB alucase I've got they didn't install the case savers correct, they are above deck on a few of them!
Bought a brosol solex dual carb kit with a badly pitted throttle body on one side, very low quality all round and impossible to sync below 2000rpm because of the defective throttle body and other stuff. I haven't driven them 200km yet and the brass shims in the axle's have already fallen out..... It's beyond me how that can be acceptable.
The forged cb 1.4 ratio rockers I've got looked like they were machined by a blind person, so I'd rather not use them either......

I do know they stand behind their products and they would refund me, but like one said to me in another post, would be nice if they stood in front of their products also..... I know, cheap products, not enough money in it to actually check them before they ship out. And it would cost me a fortune to send back and forth so I have become somewhat selective from where I buy.

I like the fact that ACN write, that on some products they have chosen to take it off the site for quality issues, that's great! And would have saved me a lot of money had I known that at the time....

Sorry for the long story, but CB parts are out as far as I'm concerned.

Fiatdude, that's a lot of horses..... And great to actually hear about some real life setups.
I suppose it was setup for drag race? That would make sense in my head with the big carb, turbo and header as well I guess.
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

Having the right turbo is essential for making HP and driving a turbo'd car around --- -- each turbo has a map of where it's efficiently is located -- -- then you start adding all the little tweaks you can do with different trims etc etc -- -- To me having a turbo built for your application is the number one thing you need to have done!!!!!! -- Pulling a turbo off another application and having it work perfectly is never going to happen.... Sure it will build boost, but .. .. .. I had two different turbo's on my Fiat -- both were described as T3/T4 hybrids -- one from AJ and the second from Performance -- there was 75 HP difference on the dyno between the two -- And the one from Performance was so streetable and nice around town, it was fantastic, and when you stomped on it, Hang on .. .. Don't cheap out on your turbo!!!!!!!

CB parts are like most VW parts out there right now as far as quality... I think their high end heads are nice and ran the ultra wedge ports on the Fiat -- and great heads are a key to HP on any engine -- But on my current engine, I haven't ever been able to buy "stock" for it ever.... You get what you pay for, and in most situations it just pays to suck it up and whip out the wallet -- -- I shredded all my receipts on my 2990 a few years ago, just so the wife would never know how much has gone into it LOL and I've bought a lot of stuff since then.... Sucks to be a VW HiPo fanatic.. .. ..LOL

I've got a spare set of Pauter 1.4 Rockers in excellent condition on the shelf I can make you a deal on it you would like them....
las

Post by las »

Fiatdude, what size header did you use.

Looking at the compressor maps at Performance tech, thanks for pointing me there, it looks to me as the T3 50" would be the perfect match for my build! But I can't help think that your setup was on the large side, both in turbo size and carb, but OK pulling 325Hp out of it would take some effort. At what rpm range did you make boost?
According to the calculations I've made (Turbomania book) my airflow at 6000rpm would be in the 275cfm range, and the AJ 350 Holley therefor would be plenty. But again the Weber would handle it too...

Is the Pauter rockers with needle bearings?
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

On that Fiat the header size was 1 5/8" -- it was custom built by Tom Face -- http://www.tomface.com/ -- again by a guy who knows his stuff -- It was a complete package that just worked really well -- --

Yes the Pauters are the blue ones with the needle bearings -- maybe 15-20 minutes of time on them until I switched to 1.5's -- -- ...

My 2165 boosted from 3000 to 7500, I usually shifted in the 6500 range though....

I would recommend the AJ carb over any weber, just because of the dial-a-jet feature -- -- never need to buy jets, and you'll have a ton of $$$$ tied up with all the jets and tubes you'll need to get a side draft working right -- plus the side draft needs to have the fuel pressure boost referenced to get it to flow enough -- the guys at CarCraft in Riverside CA have done a ton of side drafts for turbo applications -- Ask for Ed there and tell him the Fiat dude sent ya!!!! (If you want to make a mistake and go side draft LOL)
madmike

Post by madmike »

sorry didn't see ur post
yes prepped myself, (search on this forum :wink:
1915cc
1 5/8 header tubes
welded end castings and modified inlet to 1 3/4
no manifold heat
15lbs ,,no clue about HP :lol: feels like well over 200hp, compared to my IDA motors
las

Post by las »

Fiatdude, can I get back to you on the rockers, I did order the Scat 1.25 rocker set with the other parts but maybe 1.4 would be better, will have to think it through. What are you asking for it?

I plan on using 1 3/8" for the header, but given the slightly smaller engine and different usage I think that should work well.

I have been looking at Carcraft's Weber and are tempted! But doesn't the Holley need a boost referenced regulator too? But I'd be sure to tell Ed you sent me if I go that route.

Madmike I have been looking through some of your post, and are looking at the moment, but is there one on prepping the DCOE? Have you had any icing problems in the cold days
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

you could use the megasquirt to do ignition only? then its an easier transition to full EFI, thats what i'm doing anyways... :)
las

Post by las »

Not a bad idea to use the MS unit to control ignition, and I might just do that when I hit the 1 bar mark. The 123ignition only have a 1 bar map sensor built inn.

In the meantime I found an old 40DCOE weber in my garage and destroyed it trying to free the choke piston.... But I then decided to go for the weber setup and are now looking for some parts for the carb.

I have taken the internal filter out of the top cover and drilled the intake hole much larger, no more restriction there. Next up is the needle valve, I would like to replace it with a glass or steel ball valve but can't find any for the DCOE carb! Does anybody know a place where I can get one?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

las wrote:Not a bad idea to use the MS unit to control ignition, and I might just do that when I hit the 1 bar mark. The 123ignition only have a 1 bar map sensor built inn.
Correct me if I'm wrong but......

If you have a 1 Bar sensor you will only be good for N/A pressure. WOT equals 1 Bar.

My MS1 and MS2 have 2.5 Bar sensors in them and are good to 21-22 lbs boost.

1 BAR equals WOT
2 BAR equals 14.7 lbs boost
2.5 BAR equals approx. 22 lbs boost.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
las

Post by las »

Well maybe I put it the wrong way, the 123ignition can handle up to 1 bar boost / 15psi

From the website
"two vacuum-advance and boost-retard curves
( 0 to 200 kPa or -30 inHg to +15 psi )"
madmike

Post by madmike »

IR Temp gun sez 70* F right after I run it,, so no icing in July :lol: come Oct???????
but It's an CarCraft intake and I can flow hot oil threw it if I have issues :wink: Just use a 275 inlet valve on the DCOE,, don't need glass balls :mrgreen: :lol: