T4 - Blow Through Turbo - VW Splitscreen

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
blue thunder

Re: T4 1971cc Megasquirt turbo - Needs advice on turbo intak

Post by blue thunder »

TD04 is indeed the 'frame'size (cartridge size). An L indicates a slightly wider inducer tip height of the turbinewheel (more flow) and an H indicates a slightly larger diameter turbine wheel compared to the standard wheel.
So a TD04L and a TD04H turbo will flow more compared to a TD04 (and a TD04HL even more). Furthermore MHI uses square cm instead of A/R ratio like some other popular brands. The '13T' or '16G' or '19T' etc are an indication of the used compressorwheel and its thermodynamic properties.

Cheers,

Robin
Udo Airbus

Post by Udo Airbus »

Thanks all for the info and reply's.

For now I use stock pistons :shock:

I first want to know If I get everything working....

I mounted the engine in the bus to make an exhaust.. I will use an external waste gate since I have limited space.. and it's easier for upgrades.
Making an exhaust is very difficult since the bus is very low.. and I do not want to damage the turbo on speed bumps. And yes the tow bar is also taking space..

Can anybody advice me what injector size I can use? 94x96 mm.. 42mm itb's 200+ hp?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VW T1 1964 - Mouse Grey - Pearl White OG paint

Bagged, Porsche steeringrack/brakes..IRS, 1915cc
Wally

Post by Wally »

Udo Airbus wrote:
Can anybody advice me what injector size I can use? 94x96 mm.. 42mm itb's 200+ hp?

Thanks.
200hp only needs about a 350-400cc (~35-40 lbs) cc/min injector, but I would not risk a too small injector as leaning out is one of the most dangerous things to encounter.
There is hardly any cons on too big of an injector (I runs 1000cc's), so I would just get some Siemens 63lbs or 600-650cc injectors and be done with it. Safe up to 350-ish hp (on an aircooled engine) 8)
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Wally wrote:
Udo Airbus wrote:

Thanks.
200hp only needs about a 350-400cc (~35-40 lbs) cc/min injector, but I would not risk a too small injector as leaning out is one of the most dangerous things to encounter.
There is hardly any cons on too big of an injector (I runs 1000cc's), so I would just get some Siemens 63lbs or 600-650cc injectors and be done with it. Safe up to 350-ish hp (on an aircooled engine) 8)
While reading the MSExtra manuals, they stated that too big of an injector would give you some issues with idle and running smoother on the lower end, IIRC. I only bring this up because i have something like 380cc (36 lbs) injectors, and the quick calculator that is also located in the MSExtra manual says these will be a liiiiitle too big for my 1776T project.
But with what you stated, that there are hardly any cons of too big of injectors, I should be fine, right?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

kangaboy wrote:
Wally wrote:
Udo Airbus wrote:

Thanks.
While reading the MSExtra manuals, they stated that too big of an injector would give you some issues with idle and running smoother on the lower end, IIRC. I only bring this up because i have something like 380cc (36 lbs) injectors, and the quick calculator that is also located in the MSExtra manual says these will be a liiiiitle too big for my 1776T project.
But with what you stated, that there are hardly any cons of too big of injectors, I should be fine, right?
I have run 32lb. injectors for two years on my 1679 without issues and am bumping up to 45 lbs injector within the week.
32 lb injectors are good for 230 hp. at 100% DC.
I was hitting 94.5% DC on a couple runs.

It's better to have them a little on the large size than too small and chance running lean if you are turboed.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Volky

Post by Volky »

I have a 1776cc which was N/A with 19lb. Injectors. Three years later I put a turbo in it and bought 48lb. Injectors, a goooood deal I couldn't pass brand new. :D it idles great.

My injectors are bigger than I wanted but better safe than sorry.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
tonyorlo

Post by tonyorlo »

I know this isn't air cooled, but I have 38lb injectors on my N/A ford 2.3. I haven't had a problem with idle, I just have some small numbers in the idle area on my VE table.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Tonyorlo,
At idle my VE table is 27, 1000 rpms with an afr of 14.2.

To me it's all about how the engine likes it.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Plus: some injectors aren't like other injectors!
A lineair caracteristic right up to very small opening times (idle) is very important with big injectors. The bigger the injector, the more important this becomes. That's why I like ID injectors so much. Quality costs though. Nothing new there.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Gonna agree with Wally here, I have 96lb/hr(ID1000) injectors on my 2276, and will probably run at least that big on my planned 1600. The big motor idles just fine, and I expect the little one to behave as well.
Alexios

T4 1971cc Megasquirt turbo - Needs advice on turbo intake

Post by Alexios »

Used some 1000cc/min injectors on a stock 1600 running a mexico efi setup with an amr500. Idled fine running regular gas or e85.

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Udo Airbus

Post by Udo Airbus »

Many thanks for the advice about the injectors.

Some build pics..

made the exhaust, added external waste gate (a bit big but that's easy for upgrades)

Still need to fabric the exhaust part that comes after the turbo.

On the pic the airride is full up.. once down I have 3.5 cm clearance under the exhaust :oops: 8)

And waiting for QSP parts.. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Nice! Wish i could weld like that!
Better to be blown than to suck!
tonyorlo

Post by tonyorlo »

Looks good! That looks like stainless, right? Mig'd? Got a few questions, I looked back trough the thread and saw it was discussed but didn't see what you went with. Where are you supplying and returning oil to and from the turbo? Also, I like that dipstick, was that made from using a dipstick from another car?
Udo Airbus

Post by Udo Airbus »

Thank guys.. it's made of scrap parts to keep the costs a bit low :) I really want to make a new exhaust, but will do that maybe wilt a turbo upgrade.

Its almost all stainless but just normal mig/mag welds..
Also a lot of old welds since I "remade" the old exhaust.

I will feed the turbo oil from the oil sensor.. and the retour line will be made in the dipstick part.
The dipstick was from the cu 2.0 , and I made it in the cap.

At the moment I'm in Germany for my Job, but soon back in the garage :) (new parts arrived)