Air Filter size.

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
GARRICK.CLARK

Air Filter size.

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Hi guys.
Does the size of the air filter matter on a blow through set up.
Mine is a small k/N Cone filter. Smaller than a filter off a single dell 40
It is also dry, no oiling to the mesh of the filter.
Just wondering.
Clonebug

Re: Air Filter size.

Post by Clonebug »

One way to find out is take it off and run it for a bit after a rain so no dust is in the air to see if there is a difference.
I doubt that will be an issue.

If you are still hunting a low boost issue it is more than likely the turbo is too big.

You have too many threads open to try to find out which turbo you are running.
That is why a dedicated build page is a good thing. Someone trying to answer a question doesn't have to look all over the forum or internet to research your build to answer your questions.

What is your max rpm you are turning with that engine???
If you are under 5000 rpm I suggest spinning it up to 5500 or a little higher a couple times to see if the boost increases.
I think I asked you before what the inside diameters of the turbine inlet and compressor inlet were. If they are 2 inches or bigger then the turbo is too big.

At this weekend's swap meet I passed on two turbos from a TT Volvo. They were tiny little things but they might have been perfect for a 1600.
I already have six turbos sitting in the garage.........
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Hi Clone.
Yeah I should have done a build thread really, I didn't expect it to drag on like it has really.
So , the turbo is 2 inch on the inlet. it does spin up fast .I rev it to 5700.(sometimes). Not driven since top end rebuild but the low boost limit must be sorted now as I've taken at least 3 points out of the static comp. I've got an intercooler to fit to it so that should help also. So the filter size shouldn't matter ,ok saves me buying another. I've got the filter positioned under the rear light.(Not under the wing). away from any heat ,this should be a good position for it.

I just want the most power out of this engine without increasing the CC.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

What is your compression ratio???

I turboed a stock 1600 and hit 20 lbs boost once when I disconnected the wastegate..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Scared the you know what out of me.........
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Comp is at 7.8 static.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

It isn't hard to measure the pressure drop from the filter then decide from the data if it is enough of a restriction to upsize.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Hi Steve. How would I test the pressure drop
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I am lazy, while I own manometers and that would be the tool to use, why bother when plenty of over the counter automotive solutions exist?
In my 2 liter fed by an oil bath 1.6l the Wix branded one never trips under normal/moderate driving. In my 4x4 water cresting over the hood line tends to wet the factory boxed element tripping the indicator, its was OEM off a bricked GM at the wrecking yard.

Parent company that makes dozens of models that OEMs use, and filter manufactures rebrand.
http://filterminder.com/
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

An extra map sensor reading the pressure in your intake after the filter and compare that to barometric pressure.

Or build a u-tube manometer. One end open to atmosphere and the other in your filter housing.

or
http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/201 ... on-part-i/