Turbo road trip and some head questions.

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
ekacpuc

Turbo road trip and some head questions.

Post by ekacpuc »

I am really considering running a turbo on my Squareback. I was hoping that I would run idfs. Depending on funds I'll either limit advance to 24 degrees or lock it out and run a CB performance black box. Planned on trying to find a very small air to water intercooler. I've got lots of other ideas too just a lot to list. I have the turbo mania book and have been reading threads.

My first question is how does the change in altitude affect a turbo and jetting? Would it be a big deal? I understand a turbo motor is very sensitive to jetting.

Other question is I saw some drd heads with the exhaust valve guides cut short so they don't enter the port. Is that a big deal to have them enter the port?
Clonebug

Re: Turbo road trip and some head questions.

Post by Clonebug »

I'm on a cross country trip right now with my turbo buggy.
The highest summit I have seen so far is over 8100 ft. I have EFI and dual map sensors which compensate for altitude.
I think if you try that with carbs you will need to rejet or you will run pig rich once you get to altitude.

Limiting advance to 24 degrees is maybe acceptable for a short around town cruiser. Once you get to highway speeds and light cruise you will be running way too retarded to maintain 60-70 mph without running high EGT's.

I have bumped my advance to 40 plus degrees at 3000 plus rpm and light load to get the mpg up and keep the egt's down. I'm also bumping up my afr's to 15.0:1 and leaner.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Leave the guides in place your not on Boost long enough to hurt them :wink:
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

I heard dudes back in the day would cut the exhaust guides back, supposedly to keep them from 'burning' was one reason given. My question is if you're making enough heat that the guides are burning, don't you have another problem??? I left them alone in my car, never had any issues.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The removed guide end bit (last ~6mm) is opened larger than the valve stem, it doesn't support anything.
No sense leaving it in there as it does ~nothing, other than possibly taking the turbine out as it leaves the scene.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.