Fitech

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Fitech

Post by buguy »

I posted something up on thesamba but wanted to come here and get some more input/advice. Anyone know much about the Fitech? I'd like to add on FI to my turbo 1600. Looks like it does about everything. I am drawing through a holley now so the swap wouldn't be too tough. I want to do some other stuff too, but want to focus on the FI and engine management.
I am running a stock 1600 with high rev springs and a locked diet.
Draw through and a TD04 .42/.48 Garret from a Saab.
This would be street car weekend warrior.
Piledriver

Re: Fitech

Post by Piledriver »

Draw through TBI is little better than a carb, poor cylinder to cylinder fuel distribution, and wet out and even icing issues under NA conditions... No programmable ignition unless you spend a grand and then limited to a distributor...

Keep your existing carb as a TB and stick something like a $369 Microsquirt on it, with port injectors.
Half the cost for 10X the capabilities, and you could add a charge cooler if desired.
If you had the optional second injector module installed it can do sequential fuel, allowing for individual hole fuel balance.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well my carb is way wrong so I would also have to get a tb. Also wouldn't I have to get a map sensor etc...? Maybe with mega/micro squirt it would end up costing way more (cost isn't top of the list) by the time I bought a tb, the sensors, injectors etc? I am 100% new at FI so forgive me if any of this is ignorant. I was looking at this one http://fitechefi.com/products/30004/
risk

Post by risk »

Azn's dung beetle from street outlaws now runs a draw thru with the Fitech fuel injection. I think it's a kit from lowbugget.. seems kinda limited on what you can do and not much better than a carb in your application.
EDIT: lowbugget is selling a draw through kit with Fitech. Dung beetle is indeed, haltech.

I second pile's recommendation for Megasquirt. Put a small throttle body between the turbo and your intake, Ditch that distributor and go with coil on plug (COP) or coil near plug (CNP). The tech support from guys here and the MS forums is phenomenal.

Great thing about MS is that most of the parts can be sourced from a junkyard. Throttle body, sensors etc.
Last edited by risk on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I saw something about that but it was running Haltech fuel management so I don't think it was Fitech.
And what is limiting with it. Only thing I can see with my limited knowledge is having to run a distributor. Seems like it has the ability to control fuel, ignition, boost, E85 ready, and NOS ready. What else is there?
buguy

Post by buguy »

I should point out I am not against using MS at all. Just curious about the other system. Seems pretty plug and play
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

A MAP sensor is about $15 for a GM 3 bar and the mating connector... A Microsquirt needs one as its an external (supports two) as the ECU is not much larger than a GM MAP sensor.

A "Normal" MS2 or 3 are a lot more flexible, has an internal MAP sensor,(second optional) but the uS is pre-assembled and tiny, and can be fully sealed and installed in the engine compartment. You can do a MS2 with a MS3X driver card, but at that point you are ~$100ish short of a full MS3 + MS3X, which is far more capable.
(There are many EFI options, but around here, MSExtra is usually spoken, great bang for the buck)

Have pics of your current setup? I assume you want to keep most of it, manifold etc.
We can probably set you up with a good single TB for $20.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I don't have many pics. None of how it is right now. Car is back home in Iowa and I am having it shipped here to Florida soon. Here is a video to give you an idea. I don't really care much if j keep much of it. It was a home brew I did for fun in 2007/2008. The header and up pipe are different now. Made it more of a straight up shot.
https://youtu.be/DCfK9dI23L4
buguy

Post by buguy »

Is this what you are talking about? https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ms3 ... g-harness/
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

buguy wrote:Is this what you are talking about? https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ms3 ... g-harness/
I mentioned it, thats the Top line Big Kahuna MS3-Pro setup, it will run a V8 with sequential fuel and spark out of the box, and supports a V12 with some mods, built in knock 2 channel per cylinder knock modules, sdcard datalogging etc. Includes a licence for TunerStudio, which you will want, regardless.
They are allegedly also working on a expresso making plug in for it. (I kid, but...)

If money is no object, that's a Very Good Start.

What I suggested is a low cost Microsquirt v3, which is MS2 based, and about the size of a business card with an automotive AMP connector sticking out the top.
It will do waste spark and batch injection on a 4 banger out of the box, and is also sealable, and entirely made from automotive grade bits.

It can be had with an 18" harness (for in-engine-compartment mounting) for $339, can also be had with longer harnesses for a bit more.

The microsquirts primary target is motorcycles and perhaps off-road. Its better than a carb. Lots.

There are some mods available for the uS to support sequential fuel and spark, but the cost creeps toward a fully optioned MS3+MS3x std box setup. The "standard" boxes can be had as a kit or fully assembled, they are not sealed units have regular DB37 connectors... Not $$$ automotive grade waterproof connectors etc, has to be installed in dry spot. Those std MS2/MS3 boxes are easily DIY repaired or modded as needed, at least with the v3.0 mainboard, 3.57 is all smd as is the MS3X, but the latter isn't high density tiny SMD, so still ~easy to fix.
Last edited by Piledriver on Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Do you happen to have a link to that? I really don't know what I'm looking for in that stuff.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

buguy wrote:Do you happen to have a link to that? I really don't know what I'm looking for in that stuff.
https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/megasq ... crosquirt/
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I have a friend that likes the fitech stuff, he has customer cars running it with good results. Look up RADesigns on Facebook or Instagram. The guys name is Rodney Adams.
https://m.facebook.com/RADesignsinfo/?t ... =typeahead
buguy

Post by buguy »

No Facebook stuff for me brother.
petew

Post by petew »

I'm running Microsquirt on a 1600 turbo. Check my thread out...

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=146065

If I had my time again I'd buy one of Mario's kits...

http://www.thedubshop.net/products-c17av