Draw-through pressure relief valve question

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
fall-apart-dave

Draw-through pressure relief valve question

Post by fall-apart-dave »

Hello

So. I have a draw through turbo system, which is controlled with a waste gate.

Now, I was thinking about boost, and safety... And show ponying. I thought fitting a pressure relief valve set to whatever the maximum boost my engine can cope with minus a little, for two reasons:

1) In the event my wastegate fails, I don't go overboost.
2) For drag strip, it would be a quick way of changing my boost without messing around with the wastegate. Simply disconnect the actuator hose, block it, and let the relief valve vent when I hit max boost.

So, obviously, being draw through, this means I will be venting air and fuel once at max boost. I figured, dump that into the exhaust and let it blow out the back. Add to that a spark plug, and we have a bit of a party going on at the back.

A few things... My setup is a junkyard "for a giggle" type thing. A 4-1 header into a Garret T3 bolted to an uprated 1600, locked timing, and an upright smoke stack (it's in a Volksrod).

Were I to do this, I can't envisage that I would trigger a manifold detonation, but what are your thoughts? I'm thinking of the spark plug as a bit of showponying for the drag strip (who doesn't like fire coming from an exhaust?), yes I know I should go FI, I should go blowthrough, I should should should do this that and the other... But I'm not. :mrgreen:

A recipe for a biiiig ka-boom, do we think?
madmike

Re: Draw-through pressure relief valve question

Post by madmike »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Boom :lol: :lol: :lol:
your new name will be: Blow a-part Dave :lol: :lol: :lol:
fall-apart-dave

Would it though? I have in mind something akin to the old lighter and deoderant / flammable gas thing. If venting into the exhaust... would the gas flow prevent it igniting backwards into the manifold? I actually expect I would get a series of pops, bangs and the odd livk of flame from the exhaust rather than a flame thrower... i am guessing no one has been dumb enpugh to try yet? :lol:
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

I can't begin to tell what a bad idea this is...
fall-apart-dave

I wish someone would! lol!

Though I get it, huge risk, and it's actually not like a deodorant can since the contents of the can do not mix with oxygen until it leaves the nozzle. Air/fuel mix is already at the correct mixture and pressurised, so I thinking about it, it would probably set the whole lot alight even with a check valve. But still... It was a thought and something no one seems to really "know" what would happen...
dragvw2180

Post by dragvw2180 »

Fire comes to mind plus maybe inbreeding causing serious brain damage . LOL
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You go first.

Take good videos, from a safe distance of course.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
fall-apart-dave

Hahaha - were it not for the fact that I have absolutely no way of testing it without being in the car, I would be tempted to see what happens.
dragvw2180

Post by dragvw2180 »

I definitely would not recommend what you are trying to do but it would be cool at night !!! If I was going to even try this I would probably use a stainless Fogger NOS nozzle upwind and a spark plug downwind of the exhaust flow. I would use a stainless hard line to connect to a remote fuel solenoid to isolate heat and maybe not burn your car to the ground. If you do it post a night time video of it. I love crazy people, LOL
fall-apart-dave

Hahaha I sure will. I don't want to just inject fuel into the exhaust though, it was more of a way of dealing with the blow off from the air/fuel mix if I were to use a dump valve or similar to quickly swap between street and strip pressures.
fall-apart-dave

... Maybe I should bolt the steup to a stock 1600 and see what it does... That way if I kaboom it, I don't explode my good engine.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I think that the only safe way to do this would be to route it back to the turbo exhaust outlet. :P :)
Best of Luck
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
madmike

Post by madmike »

I have a so-so wastegate I can sell you it goes bang bang :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mads b (dk)

Post by mads b (dk) »

What about a MBC = Manuel boost controller, they are cheap

Tapatalk