New guy, new build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
chriswillrise

Re: New guy, new build

Post by chriswillrise »

Are you using a distributer or all electronic ignition?
dizzy with msd 6btm
madmike

Post by madmike »

8) 8) 8)
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

so a stg 2pp and a diamondback disk is what i think ill be getting. All i ever hear are bad stories about stg 3 breaking clutch cables all the time
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The alternative is give KEP a grand for a dual disk setup that will use ~stock plate effort.

You can buy a lot of clutch cables for a grand...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Piledriver wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:37 pm The alternative is give KEP a grand for a dual disk setup that will use ~stock plate effort.

thats way to much money for a cheap ass like me
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

A hydraulic clutch setup is probably a better in-between alternative.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

chriswillrise wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:45 pm so a stg 2pp and a diamondback disk is what i think ill be getting. All i ever hear are bad stories about stg 3 breaking clutch cables all the time
I've had a stage 3 in my car since 2012. Never broken or even stretched a cable. I have broken the welds of the tube in the tunnel. But thats a relatively simple fix. I use the long arm on the transmission, it helps keep pedal feel quite manageable on the foot.
risk

Post by risk »

My stage II and a diamondback disc held on my 2276 w/ E85, water/air intercooler and 16psi. Anything much beyond that boost amount and it would slip at the top of 3rd or 4th gear. Seems like Blackline said a stage II and diamondback was good for 285 ft lbs of torque. I think you would be fine with this setup.

I was gonna go stage III but ended up getting kennedy dual disc setup instead. Have not tried it yet.
Last edited by risk on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
risk

Post by risk »

Piledriver wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:37 pm The alternative is give KEP a grand for a dual disk setup that will use ~stock plate effort.

Just got this setup and it was only $640 including machining, resurfacing and balancing my flywheel.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

well i just called blackline and they havnt had diamondbacks for a couple years. He said with my power I should use their copperhead and a kennedy stage 2 which he said will be good up to around 270ish
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I thought they had something similar on the shelf, a new version of the DB. The 270whp estimate is probably pretty accurate for the CH, thats probably where my old combo was when it started driving through it.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

risk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Just got this setup and it was only $640 including machining, resurfacing and balancing my flywheel.

I've been looking at it for the 2.5, I'll need a forged 228 FW to go with it, although I suppose I could use a 215 914 FW like Wally did, they just blow it out to a 228.

Still buys a lot of clutch cables. :twisted:
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Chip Birks wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:56 pm I thought they had something similar on the shelf, a new version of the DB. The 270whp estimate is probably pretty accurate for the CH, thats probably where my old combo was when it started driving through it.
yeah they had something higher but he didnt have a name for it. I think it was like 230 bucks and he said I didnt need it. So for now hopefully itll be good.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

So the copperhead and kennedy stage 2 is holding great.

Went to a show this past sunday up in Carlsbad (about a 45 minute drive) and everything went well. I know gauges arnt super accurate but on the way home in about 75 degree heat my car was hovering in the 200-210 area oil temps with my oil cooler fan on. Im kinda worried about driving far in the summer 90-100 degree heat on the freeway. What do you guys consider safe temps. Buddy of mine told me if it touches 230 I need to stop
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Good synthetic oil? 250 or so.
You need to know actual accuracy if at all possible, when 10F delta could be the difference between driving and parking it.