2109cc turbo build...

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Volky

Re: 2109cc turbo build...

Post by Volky »

Soooo, I bought the new battery and NADA...

I was thinking of doing a log to see the signal on the crank sensor. Also, I was thinking of opening the MS to play with the pots and see if that resolves anything.

After that I think I'll give up for a while.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
petew

Post by petew »

Some details pics of your whole setup might help us fault check with you... and we like books with pictures too. :)
Volky

Post by Volky »

Petew,

I'll try to post them later on. There should be some on the other post 1776cc build I have. It's the same thing except 94mm pistons, fk8 cam and straight cut gears. viewtopic.php?t=140348

I posted this in msextra with my recent activities on the engine...http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 54#p505654

The battery was have dead after 3 charges, so I went to buy a new one since the test in Advance Auto revealed "dead cells". So, It's not the battery :D .

For now I checked for vac leaks in the manifolds and it was ok, did the spark test on MS2 and side A and B make spark. The injectors work since one side was leaking after intake install #2.

Today, I moved the crank sensor a bit outward from the wheel since it was almost touching it. Tried to crank and NADA.

I made a log while cranking.

Thank you for your time...If anything else is needed please post.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
petew

Post by petew »

Show up the datalog from the cranking session. On the datalog show us the RPM trace/crank sensor and the battery voltage. I'd also be putting a multi-meter on the coil pack to see if it's getting voltage properly during cranking.

It's funny, I was telling my daughter the other day, "everything on an engine is either fuel or spark". You just have to sort out which one. I realized the ECU complicates things a little, but there is no doubt an answer there. :)

BTW, When I pulled my engine last, I found a pinhole in an inlet manifold weld. I had pressure tested it and it was fine before. So I'd check that stuff too. I realize it's not your specific issue, but anyhow. Also, PD has mentioned a few times before that AFR Wideband sensors can die and throw very funny readings. They often read leaner as they die. I don't know how old yours is but keep that in mind too. ;)
Volky

Post by Volky »

Last night I went to a friend's house and he tested the MS2 with the JimStim and everything checked out. The problem should be in the car he indicates. Today I will be re-aligning the crank sensor with the wheel and see if it was the issue. Also, I tested the VR sensor and it reads out to 823 Ω's.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Good night to all,

This afternoon we changed all the spark plugs d8res-l and the car fired up. Although only one was hot to the touch and three warming like it could stay on. I couldn't tune anything since the afr was always leeaaannnn. I even changed the sensor for a new one which I but new for $40.00 identical to mine.

The MAP always read 95-91kpa and the boost gauge read 4kg.

I ran out of options on this issue.

Any ideas?
Volky

Post by Volky »

Chip,

I made one today...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Volky wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:31 pm Chip,

I made one today...
Can you add an MSQ?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You can simply increase reqfuel on the fly to richen things up, you have more wiggle room on the rich side of stoich getting things to fire/run at idle.
If you pull the plugs to crank it easier you can check timing while cranking (given some help or a remote starter button)

Remember-if the ignition is set up ~right you can start and idle it with an unlit propane torch long enough to check timing and firing order, and it cannot foul your plugs.
(Just pull the injector fuses)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Hi,

This morning I made a serious of test as per manual on the wiring and noted 2 injectors were not getting 12v on the main harness (MS2 to Relay Board). Then I tested the injector wires and #1 and #3 did not have 12v. I have a bulkhead from DIYauto for 22 pins aprox. I believe it wasn't tightened to the end because if I wiggled it the relays would click. I went to the back of the car and tightened the main bolt and the issue stopped.

All works well, AFR, MAP, INJ, etc.

Sometimes it is the simple things that come and bite you in the @$$. I never touch that bulkhead or maybe I took it off in August at one point and never put it back correctly.

Thanks to all...Time to Boost.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Wiring is one of the most important things for a successful EFI project.

I recommend always wiring it to a finish the first time instead of temporarily to give it a try. Planning the layout of the harness and making the harness look professional will pay dividends in the end.
Chasing bad connections will haunt you throughout the project if not done right.

All the start problems I had was having a sensor connected backwards on the relay board or something simple like that.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Back on the street..in break-in yet. Today we gave,Tim about one hundred something miles and the car is another car (1776 to 2109). I still have to buy the boost juice for the meth/inj and buy a new intercooler. This time I'm going to buy one that fits with the deck lid closed and "spray" it.

As per my supervisor "its a never ending project".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Volky on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Back on the street..in break-in yet. Today we gave,Tim about one hundred something miles and the car is another car (1776 to 2109). I still have to buy the boost juice for the meth/inj and buy a new intercooler. This time I'm going to buy one that fits with the deck lid closed and "spray" it.

As per my supervisor "its a never ending project".
Last edited by Volky on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Don't waste money on the Boost Juice. You pay high prices and you also have to pay hazardous shipping.

Just go to your local Hardware or paint store and get a gallon of Denatured Alcohol for around $13.00-$16.00. Add it to a Gallon of Distilled Water in a clean new gas can marked for the intended use and you are good to go. You now have 2 gallons for half the price of the Denatured Alcohol which for me is around $9.00 a gallon mixed. Cheap enough for me and I can get it whenever I want since it is always stocked on the paint store shelves.

You can also pick up Methanol someplace if you have it available locally but it is a little more corrosive.

I can go upwards of 600-1000 miles on 3 quarts of spray depending on how much I am on the boost. Most times the boost is never high enough to activate the pump.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Clonebug,

Thanks for the advise. I'll check around locally for that product. I have the three quart canister on my system. I didn't know it lasts that much. Sounds good.