Going back in

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Leatherneck

Re: Going back in

Post by Leatherneck »

Clonebug wrote:
Leatherneck wrote:Got it started, happy about that, sounds good, also happy. Only glitch is right now is Boost pressure, I am getting it at idle, that can't be. Have it plumbed from the left cylinder. Also AFR's are high at idle but good revving up, can't take it for a spin yet so this is all I have to go on. Whatcha think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FACMqyK ... e=youtu.be

I didn't see anything wrong with your boost/Vacuum gauge.....When you started it it went and indicated 10 lbs vacuum like it is supposed to do.

17.0:1 idle might be too lean. My engine seems to like to idle best at about 12.8:1 AFR.
Try adjusting your idle mixture screws to richen the idle up a bit. If that doesn't work go up one size on the idle jets and readjust for best lean idle again.
Thanks Clone,Piledriver said that too, I had not seen it show vacuum before but then again I had it installed in the wrong location. I will adjust the Idle mixture, right now they are at 3 1/2 out. Thanks for the info.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Ok, been a while since I asked a silly question, so here it goes. Is there a break in for Turbo's? Took it out today, put a smile on my face for sure. At 5 psi I was in the 9's for AFR, had a stumble have to find out about. Had fun though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf8HVnwrdkI
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

There shouldn't be. It's only 2 journal bearings and the thrust plate. Bring the boost.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Leatherneck wrote:Ok, been a while since I asked a silly question, so here it goes. Is there a break in for Turbo's? Took it out today, put a smile on my face for sure. At 5 psi I was in the 9's for AFR, had a stumble have to find out about. Had fun though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf8HVnwrdkI
Nice!!!!

If you are running that rich you have two options.

1. Work on leaning it out.....
2. Add boost.

I would try adding a little boost and see if it stays rich.......you know you will want to......

How does it run at cruise???

At what rpm does it go to the full 5.0 lbs of boost???
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Clonebug wrote:If you are running that rich you have two options.
2. Add boost.
2 is always the answer to this :P
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

MarioVelotta wrote:
Clonebug wrote:If you are running that rich you have two options.
2. Add boost.
2 is always the answer to this :P
Of course....... :wink: :D

They don't wake up until 10 lbs.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Can you tell us what jets you have installed.

Were the idle jets are concerned I rang DELLORTO UK and they said if you want less turns out on the mix screws just go up a couple of sizes on the idles and screw the mix screws in half turn at a time.
I'm doing this at the weekend . I'm aiming for 2 turns out on the mix screws .
If the AFR is in the 9's the main jets must be massive.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:Can you tell us what jets you have installed.

Were the idle jets are concerned I rang DELLORTO UK and they said if you want less turns out on the mix screws just go up a couple of sizes on the idles and screw the mix screws in half turn at a time.
I'm doing this at the weekend . I'm aiming for 2 turns out on the mix screws .
If the AFR is in the 9's the main jets must be massive.
65 on the idles and 180 on the Mains, 200 on the Airs, I am out 5 on the mixture screw. I was idling at 15-16 afr so turned it out to idle at 13. I/m going to go up to 70 to see if I can bring mixture screw in and see what a 175 main will get me.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

If your out 5 turns there isn't much thread left on the mixture screws to stop them falling out and getting lost in the dirt/sand/road.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:If your out 5 turns there isn't much thread left on the mixture screws to stop them falling out and getting lost in the dirt/sand/road.
True, need to go ahead and fix idles, ordered 4 sets of Mains from alfa1750. When I get them I have some drill bits, I need to find out what bits are what size on the mains, that will be able to help me fill and make my own sizes.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Leatherneck wrote:
GARRICK.CLARK wrote:If your out 5 turns there isn't much thread left on the mixture screws to stop them falling out and getting lost in the dirt/sand/road.
True, need to go ahead and fix idles, ordered 4 sets of Mains from alfa1750. When I get them I have some drill bits, I need to find out what bits are what size on the mains, that will be able to help me fill and make my own sizes.

Here is a set of cheap drills I used in .05 mm increments. They will get you close and then you can order the size you want.
At least you can used the drills to either size them or at least check to make sure the jets are what size you thought they were.

https://www.widgetsupply.com/product/BBL50.html
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Clonebug wrote:
Leatherneck wrote:

Here is a set of cheap drills I used in .05 mm increments. They will get you close and then you can order the size you want.
At least you can used the drills to either size them or at least check to make sure the jets are what size you thought they were.

https://www.widgetsupply.com/product/BBL50.html
Thanks Clonebug, good source.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I got my Mains, was a 1.75, then did a 1.65, now I am at a 1.60 on the mains, went to 70 on the idles with 3 1/2 turns out.
At 1000 rpm i am at 12-13 on AFR
At 2500 rpm I am doing 57 and AFR is 10.7
At 4000 rpm I am making 6 pd boost and 12ish AFR.
Seems little to rich for me or is that good?
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

13 AFR at idle is ok in my opinion.
When you adjust the mixtures at idle try to set it by ear and not look at the afr gauge.
So long as its not spitting and popping when fully warmed up and not stinking/eye burning rich out of the exhaust at idle I would leave it as is.
When I set my idle afr its like 12 without the hats and 13 with the hats on. No popping or spitting, this is with the mixture screws adjusted as per air cooled.net instructions. Just a smooth tick over.
2500 revs with 10.7 afr is rich. Was this up hill a bit maybe.
4000 revs at low 12's is ok in my opinion.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

GARRICK.CLARK wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:13 pm 13 AFR at idle is ok in my opinion.
When you adjust the mixtures at idle try to set it by ear and not look at the afr gauge.
So long as its not spitting and popping when fully warmed up and not stinking/eye burning rich out of the exhaust at idle I would leave it as is.
When I set my idle afr its like 12 without the hats and 13 with the hats on. No popping or spitting, this is with the mixture screws adjusted as per air cooled.net instructions. Just a smooth tick over.
2500 revs with 10.7 afr is rich. Was this up hill a bit maybe.
4000 revs at low 12's is ok in my opinion.
The 2500 rpm's were on level ground keeping it at 2500 so I could get a constant reading. Should I go smaller on the Mains or smaller on the idles? Thanks for the help and suggestions.