CB's new drawthrough

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Maddward

CB's new drawthrough

Post by Maddward »

I've been a long time lurker and built my engine knowing I'd be adding a turbo this year. What do you guys think about CB's new setup? I have some time to decide but just wanted to hear some opinions.

Thanks
-maddward

https://youtu.be/xFB_xg1gKnI
petew

Re: CB's new drawthrough

Post by petew »

So that's the hideaway header I've got on my car. But they're using it with a downdraft... and the carb is sucking the oil vapour out of the motor... and it's jammed in the side of the engine bay where getting to jets, adjustment screws and linkage is all tightly packed in...

We have a saying in Australia. Goes like this, "Yeahnah". In other words, "Yes, I can see what your doing, but no I wouldn't do that".

This is a lot of CB stuff. Lots of "cool" features, but not really that great. Like why do we want over a half metre of pipe between the turbo and the carb? And why in a world where EFI is cheaper and cheaper are they building more drawthrough systems? And why do they stop making the base EFI stuff (like the stock sized ended casting with bungs) but sell this junk?

Makes no sense to me. :(
panel

Post by panel »

Wonder what it drives like at low RPM/Vaccum having the fuel run uphill like that.
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
madmike

Post by madmike »

Give it a chance guy's :wink:
I seen stuff set up and u wunder how can that even run :roll: :lol:
but I'm sure Pat did his homework and it's fine for guys that want a semi/inexpensive 'Turbo system'
efi aint for me :lol: hope CB stuck the wastegate flange on the collector???? Nothing wrong with 'DrawThrough & carb :wink:
no I don't let it idle for 5 minutes :shock: and it does Idle just fine @ a stop lite without blipping the throttle, I've gotten 26mpg with it playing on the way to a car show 40 miles away 8) 8) and finally,
I don't have over 40-100 post's on why It don't run like I want,lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maddward

Post by Maddward »

I just copied this off of their facebook post. It might answer a few questions...

Introducing the CB Performance Hideaway Draw Through IDF Turbo Kit.

Fits under the decklid and very simple to install.

This engine is a 2276cc and made 272 HP @5700 rpm and 280 ft lbs torque at 4500 rpm. Boost was at 12 psi using 91 octane pump fuel. We used a #7489 Hybrid turbo and a 44 Weber IDF Carb, 044 Heads and our #2292 Eagle Racing Camshaft.

We are shooting for a $2200 cost for the complete kit including carb, turbo, wastegate, exhaust fuel system, etc. We won't know for sure on the cost until we get the plenum into production and the carbon seal plate for the turbo. The plenum incorporates oil galleys using the hot engine oil to prevent icing. So far, testing is showing very promising results!

ARRIVING LATE SUMMER 2017!
rubenski

Re: RE: Re: CB's new drawthrough

Post by rubenski »

madmike wrote:finally,
I don't have over 40-100 post's on why It don't run like I want,lol Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Ouch! :-p :-p :-p :-p
Better to be blown than to suck!
petew

Post by petew »

Maddward wrote:We are shooting for a $2200 cost for the complete kit including carb, turbo, wastegate, exhaust fuel system, etc.
I built my whole turbo system for about that (in aust dollars)... including ECU, intercooler and EFI fuel system.

Hideaway, manifold ends, fuel rails, mounts $1000
Pump $100
Intercooler and pump $300
AFR meter $300
Turbo $100
Injectors $100
Throttle Body $50
Microsquirt $400
Sensors $250?

Course there were connectors and the like. But the general cost is the same. :wink:

Mike is right, his draw through setup works well. That's because 50 years of VW turbocharging has lead people to that setup working best for drawthrough. Turbo up high, close to the intake, short carb manifold, etc.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Thanks,Pete, Let me sum up one of my builds
weber Dcoe: $200-$400 or a 600 vac secondary Holley
intake T-section $75.
stock ends $25
carb intake $100
turbo $129-$200
T3 Header C.Coated $400
locked out dizzy: $50
fuel reg $140,That's less then $1400 :wink: 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
and when your on fixed income ,swap meet parts are abot 1/2 of that IF ur not in a hurry to build it,, took me a few years, :lol: :lol:
petew

Post by petew »

You've got a O2 sensor on that right?
madmike

Post by madmike »

nope :oops: forgot it came with my car, :)