TURBO STREET RAIL

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
madmike

Re: 1600 TURBO RAIL

Post by madmike »

been their, done that,LOL ,, I check the intakes often :wink: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

Been doing little things to get the buggy ready. Finals have been killing me, I just want to drive the thing!
got a gauge panel made up, probably gonna add ignition and a few switches to it. The rest of the switches will be on the e brake mount i think.

also finished up with freshening up the shift linkage and installing the short throw. Original shifter broke where someone cut and welded it so installed an HD coupler and made a shift knob from an antique store that i put a threaded insert into. :mrgreen:

Motor is on a set back waiting for bearings. Got a newer case that has a 1 over align bore so my new standard bearing don't fit. At least with all the spare parts from the old motor i should be able to build a whole other stock engine without too much trouble. I'd like to get the project done by end of May, which is looking realistic here. Lots of fab and posts coming soon!
Any tips for assembling a turbo motor from the seasoned veterans? ie: better torque specs or things that take an extra beating from the boosts i should check on?
madmike

Post by madmike »

I remove all the bad casting flash and smooth out any thing oil can get stopped by,, so it drains into the sump asap.
you are going to run a deep sump right?
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Imageyou cant tell but the 85.5 p/c wobbles around in my case with 6mm of play :x
not only did the previous owner say it was std bearing, which it was 1 over, it had been cut for 90.5 pistons too :cry: should have checked but still sucks. at least lower end and case are together.

also not gonna run that distributor cap and the pump cover is blocked off and turned down, i just have ocd and wanted symmetry. case is not full flow. turbo oil coming off pressure sender T.
madmike

Post by madmike »

1776 Turbo rail :lol:
Why not full flow?
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

Gonna have to change the title of my build thread now! Still debating to full flow it, was trying to get it on the road asap but keep hitting road blocks. :|
petew

Post by petew »

We'll let you change the title... Just get it built! ;)
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

got the long block mocked up, had to measure deck height for spacers and head gasket. Compression ration ~7.0, maybe a little lower depending on copper head gasket crush. Still need to either, find somewhere to get the heads cut or order new heads for the 90.5 jugs. Also looking for a new oil pump, i had a german schadek oil pump and it slid in out of the case with very little resistance. Thinking of moving up to a 30mm pump but kinda dont know where to go, i heard good things about the o-ring pumps but they're pretty pricy.
Clonebug

Re: TURBO STREET RAIL

Post by Clonebug »

Try for 8.0 to 1 compression....7.0 seems too low depending on your cam.
I run 7.8:1 static with an Engle 100 cam.
You don't need copper head gaskets.
I run 22 lbs with stock heads and 88mm P/C's with no gasket.
I run .062 deck and 52 cc chambers.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

just got the new heads, 40x35.5 valves, cut for the 90.5 p&c.

ImageImage

went to put everything together and broke a ring putting the last piston in. :evil: :evil: :evil:

still waiting on the new o-ringed pump too :cry:
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

Hey folks! sorry about the complete lack of updates, i got locked out of the shoptalk and had trouble recovering my password and everything.

But the bug is running! i"ve put about 300 miles on the car so far and it is an absolute riot, i cant get enough seat time in this thing! I actually got to drive it up to school today and man did it turn some heads on campus! Its too bad the weather is already changing up here, supposed to drop in the 40s tonight!

I have tons of photos and stuff ill get to posting and ill try to continue posting the rest of the build up below as well, taking off where i left off. I cant believe i didnt even have the long block together the last time i was on here! So many nights spent in the shop and it is finally done and rolling down the road, such a good feeling to drive something you have created. :mrgreen:

well, onto where i left off i suppose:

Some dash and ebrake stuff before i get back into the motor build, proof that blood, sweat, and tears have gone into this project. heres the ebrake design i came up with. easy to remove and has a 12v and USB port on right hand side.
dash all lit up, leds next to tach are blinker reminders

engine mounted up to trans

long block all together with fan shroud and turbo mock up ready, huge roadblock at this step was the intake manifold ( CARB to TURBO) took absolutely forever at the machine shop and then they handed me this garbage that did not fit any of my size constraints or anything. ended up bringing it to my dad's friend to fix it. anyways it all worked out so im happy.

With the shortened manifold and got the turbo sat in its final resting place. really glad how the supports came out with the DZUS fasteners its a breeze to remove the whole assembly. lots of fabrication and this was really my first intimate experience with a welder, all did on my own after late dinner shifts and spare time between classes and trying to be a 21 year old.
More fabrication of the intake manifold (TURBO to INTAKE) 2" stainless to 1.75" stainless, weird angles to keep turbo centered because OCD

after its maiden voyage to my buddy's garage for inspection and to show off the creation to all the oldtimes who said it could never be done.
petew

Post by petew »

Looking good. :)
madmike

Post by madmike »

Nice, bet that thing lifts in 2nd :lol:
66brm

Post by 66brm »

Put some front runners on and it should lift in all the gears
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

dash and ebrake set up complete. usb and 12v outlet along with the boost timing control knob.
working on some carb stuff and boost creep issues, would like to move onto suspension work but need everything working in unison first. disc brakes will happen this winter along with some much needed alignment corrections. Also have a lead on a karmann ghia for the cheap i would like to swap the turbo motor in, maybe when more funds become available :(