TURBO STREET RAIL

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: 1600 TURBO RAIL

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Clonebug wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:38 pm I would downsize the oil pump to 26mm max.

I'm not sure but the H0 case could have the smaller oil passages so be careful on pump size.

If it has a smaller inlet tube you might want to do a little research on pumps.
I have an HO case sitting in my shed myself. If I remember correctly, it might be not the best of cases to start with or so I remember being told.

Do some more research before you get too far into a high horse power build with this more just in case my memory is still good.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

A single relief case is not the best for a performance build but they have been used many times.

If you keep the rpm's to a sane level you might be able to get away with it.

Just remember they usually have smaller oil passages and smaller pump inlet tubes.

Check it for cracks...especially on the flywheel side on the #3 cylinder. Cracks can show up and travel to the oil passages and then the plug will blow out causing no end of problems........
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

Clonebug wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:38 pm A single relief case is not the best for a performance build but they have been used many times.

If you keep the rpm's to a sane level you might be able to get away with it.

Just remember they usually have smaller oil passages and smaller pump inlet tubes.

Check it for cracks...especially on the flywheel side on the #3 cylinder. Cracks can show up and travel to the oil passages and then the plug will blow out causing no end of problems........
well oiling is pretty important, especially with the turbo. I'm going to start searching for a used dual relief case, preferably one with case savers and ready to build! :shock:
madmike

Post by madmike »

Don't be afraid to use 8mm head stud cases they work just fine :wink:
I run stock studs too :shock: :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

Holy cow mad mike! thats a good looking motor, whats the trim and housing sizes on your turbo?
The studs in my case right now are 10mm without case savers, Theres one down in long island NY (about 5 hours away) I might look at this weekend, Dual relief with larger oil passages and non align bored with 8mm case studs (no savers either :shock: ) but i think it would be an improvement over my beat old case. Nothing beats peace of mind!

a good representation of why im leaning towards a new case, I'd still like some input on it!

strange to see old pics of where it was and where its gonna be :!:
madmike

Post by madmike »

Thanks, That turbo is .57 A/r on the hot side and .49 on the cold 50 trim , works ok but ,I'd like to get a better one :lol:
8mm case have inserts ,,, stock :wink:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Looking good and that is for sure Mike.

If my memory serves me correctly the HO case problem was the material it was made of. HO and I think TO cases were available in the same year but the HO case was not one of the best made.
66brm

Post by 66brm »

I thought it was h5 cases to avoid....?maybe my memory is deserting me
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

bearing journals and everything look good inside the case, new bearing fit great, thrust cut in case is still sharp. I think im going to go ahead and use it, only concern is no case savers and smaller oil passages. Motor should be on assembled by easter, waiting on big shipment from ACN. CB kinda screwed me on the DHLA carb rebuild kit and only included gaskets, no o-rings or anything, pump diaphragm was laying in box and gasket bag had a hole in it so that might be the culprit.
Little update on the heads with stainless valves installed with the 1.25 solid rocker arms. Considering having the crack between valve seats welded up when i go to get my "carb to turbo manifold" made up, but another user suggested that it would be fine as long as it didn't go from valve seat to plug hole.
heres head with the crack

Also the forged chromoly crank from cb which arrived in a box that said "made in china" :x
not sure how i feel about that but it looks like a good piece. Only time will tell!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Its no secret that pretty much all sub $300 forged cranks are made in China. If you want made in USA go Scat, if you want made in Germany, go DPR. That Chinese crank will take plenty of abuse.
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

Well decided to go with a different case, sigh, more money into this project but i think it'll be worth it. definitely an upgrade over what i was going to put everything in to. project is gonna be delayed a couple more weeks now as budget is past the bottom of the barrel and have to catch up on some other stuff. 21st birthday is on the 21st this month and im flying out to see my sister in Omaha so that'll be a weekend i wont be able to wrench on my stuff. Im shooting for for beginning of May for the first startup and to get her on the road, I seriously can not wait. :mrgreen:
jackthegripper

Post by jackthegripper »

I got the gears and rods installed on the crank tonight, should be sealing up the case here in the next couple days. So much more relieved to have a solid foundation to build on :mrgreen:
I've also been putting in a couple hours in here and there porting and polishing my heads too. Nothing crazy, just gasket match and improve flow. Smoothing out the combustion chamber to help reduce CR and deter detonation. I will match the cc of each chamber after they're all done. I've heard mixed things about the copper head gaskets on these boosted motors? The head surface was recently fly cut and looks pretty decent but a lapping with the give me a definite answer.
Wondering what you turbo guys run for intake manifold gaskets? I got the metal ones in my kit but was thinking about coating them, or maybe trying something else :?: Would like to see something a little more stout I think.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I use CB Performance DP paper intake gaskets or even the empi paper gaskets.

I have never had a leak at the intake ports even up to 22 lbs. boost.

Just make sure the intake manifolds are flat.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Nothing wrong with them 'Copper' shims/gasket, I use them all the time ,,re-useable too :wink:
I also use the paper type intake gaskets, ordered a batch threw Gene Berg x-tra large cuz my stuff is always hogged out/ big intake holes :lol:
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I've blown paper gaskets out. Takes me about 5 minutes less to replace both of those than it does to remove the engine. Now i just use a sealant. No leaks. No blowout.
I also am a believer in copper head gaskets. 28psi of boost and no leaks. Torched a few cylinders in my day, but never a head, the copper seems to make a pretty good barrier.