Fuel pump cavitating.

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
GARRICK.CLARK

Re: Fuel pump cavitating.

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Done a bit work on the bug today. I took off the pre filter and tested. The pump doesn't seems to be cavitating any more ,The noise from it is much better. Maybe the filter just didn't flow enough even though it was quit big. It was just a BALDWIN filter with 13 mm inlet and outlets. Vented the fuel cap. Hopefully the small tank vent was a problem as well.
66brm

Post by 66brm »

What micron rating did the filter have?
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Not sure the micron rating , I couldn't find the spec of it on line
ToRy 70

Post by ToRy 70 »

Piledriver wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:22 am You need to find out the part number.
I'm not kidding on the roller cell pump, I got a smoking deal on a new ("bad") 044 pump because the PO didn't quite believe me when I told him the same thing. It was cavitating like crazy for him, set up ~exactly like yours.
Plugged it into my system with a feeder and sump and it has worked perfectly for years.
(The 30 year old junkyard pump I had been using that had outlived two cars finally died)

My "feeder" is a ~25 year old carter clacker with a bugpack sticker that was rattling around in my toolbox for years.
They can move a lot of fuel with no backpressure.

I'll merrily pay you $40 for your "bad" roller cell pump so you can buy a Walbro that doesn't need a feeder and sump to work... :wink:
That's me, I'm that guy! :lol: I just didn't want to charge you much if it did end up being a dud.

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure my gremlins were due to poor grounding (various, all over the car). Even my final running setup had a Carter feeder and Walbro, and it too would whine and gurgle. Total refresh for fuel system underway, and everything is getting bussed back to the negative battery terminal.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Limebug sell the 13mm CB filter in the U.K. If I recal, I use that as my pre filter with same T piece as you, works fine (same pump too)
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Nice 1 Andy, I'll take a look at there site
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Sorry it was cool air
https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_b ... ilter.html

Think I have the same but saves £2 and found one from baldwin, if you can find one! (Long discarded the box sorry)
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Baldwin BF7691 look the one, can cross reference. Cheapest looks £8 before postage. When it arrived I blew through it and there was pretty much zero resistance (good)
That's the one in the link CB put with their kits and the T ect so much work :) works on mine that I daily drove

Found this at £13.90 delivered
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151330478635