Turbocharged 1600

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Turbocharged 1600

Post by advinnie »

Hi all I was just wondering how much boost could a stock 1600 twin port bug take?
Last edited by advinnie on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clonebug

Re: Turbocharged 1600

Post by Clonebug »

I have a pretty close to stock 1679cc engine.
It has HD single valve springs with a Engle W-100 cam and 88 mm AA P/C's.

Highest boost is 22 lbs and I have been running it that way for 2 years now.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Cheers mate so I'm going to be pretty save just running 12 psi then.
May I ask if you have any photos of your set up.
I'm still in two minds if I should have the turbo low down or high up in the engine bay to help oil drain back.
What size oil pump you running?
I'm planning on using two dell 36 carbs but still waiting to hear back from Euro carb on what needs doing to them to get them ready for use with a turbo.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Here is the TD04L-13T install.
It's a Subaru WRX turbo and is the one putting out 22 lbs.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... start=1260

The stock wastegate is set for 6-7 lbs and I first used a MBC to set max boost but now I use an EBC.

I suggest doing the same so you can work up into the higher boost ranges.
Start with 6-7 lbs since detonation and IAT's will not be too much of a factor. Anything over 8 lbs without an intercooler you will need quality ignition control and/or Water/Alcohol injection.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

advinnie wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:44 pm Cheers mate so I'm going to be pretty save just running 12 psi then.
May I ask if you have any photos of your set up.
I'm still in two minds if I should have the turbo low down or high up in the engine bay to help oil drain back.
What size oil pump you running?
If you want to use an intercooler/shut the decklid properly/keep exhaust heat out of the engine bay, low mount is the best option. A regular HD oil pump is enough. The problem with with low mount is oil drainage like you say. You will (almost definitely) want a scavenge pump and oil collection can like the Porsche 930 boys do.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 5#p1246614

Don't ask me how I know this. :oops:
advinnie wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:44 pm I'm planning on using two dell 36 carbs but still waiting to hear back from Euro carb on what needs doing to them to get them ready for use with a turbo.
I know nothing about dells, but personally I'd sell them and that would get you most of your cash for EFI. It will also make the engine 200 times easier to fine tune, which is the real secret to making a turbo mouse motor last. ;)
petew

Post by petew »

BTW, I'm using a Subaru Legacy B4 primary turbo. IHI RHF4 VF13. Very cheap from Jap import breakers. $100 over here. It's pretty well perfect for the motor, maybe a little big if anything. It's good for about 150hp at 14psi, then it gets really inefficient. I've seen 14.3 out of mine so far and it felt awesome.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I will be using a mega jolt crank ignition system and manifold fold pressure sensor to run the timing. I wasn't planning on fuel injection
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Subaru Legacy B4 primary turbo Sounds more than a little bit to big I was after something a little smaller that would be up and running but 1500 rpm any suggestions)
petew

Post by petew »

Lots of boost a 1500 RPM will mean peaking out long before you get to 4500rpm redline of a stock motor. I had 14.3psi at just over 4k with the VF13. With a smaller exhaust than mine it would spool up even faster. I'm barely revving right up and yet I've got plenty of boost. The other thing is, too much boost too low is a recipe for detonation and unhappy rings and pistons.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

advinnie wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:50 am I will be using a mega jolt crank ignition system and manifold fold pressure sensor to run the timing. I wasn't planning on fuel injection
If it was me I would go a single carb in order to keep it simpler. Changing jets on one carb is bad enough.

Make sure you make it easy to remove the intake plumbing so you can get the carb or carbs out for rejetting.

I got so good at my carb setup I could pull the carb, rejet and reinstall in less than ten minutes.

I can guarantee you won't be able to do that with duals.........

Megajolt should work fine for ignition control......just make sure you test it once installed. Pull the SAW wire and check timing.....it should be exactly at 10 degrees BTDC for fail safe mode.
panel

Post by panel »

I know they are FI and not stock but impressive mouse motors.

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,15843.0.html

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=135943
advinnie wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 am Hi all I was just wondering how much boost could a stock 1600 twin port bug take?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Ok good point there about spinning up at such a low rpm.
So I've just come across a T2 turbo witch is nice and small would this be ok to use?
Also I've decided that I will go for a single carb set up and sell on my dell carbs but can a 1600 solex 34 carb be used with boost? If not I will look for a solex dis 32 carb from a Renault 5 GT turbo.
petew

Post by petew »

What's that turbo off?

Re the 34 PICT carb, read Clonebug's build thread.

Renault 5 carb might be better because it's a production turbo carb, but I know nothing about carbs (on purpose). I know a few people in Australia were using them during the 90s for turbo builds.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Ha ha ha I've only just read that, I think I will go down the solex dis 32 route
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Do t know what the T2 came from a friend of mine has it.
I have also considered a TD02L3 turbo from a 2 l MG ZT diesel as well nice and cheap and will not start producing boost till 2000 rpmand will be at max boost by 4000rpm but if I use the wastegate that comes with that turbo the lowest boost it can give is 21psi and that's a little high