First time turbo build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
yellow_snocone

Re: First time turbo build

Post by yellow_snocone »

I'll give that a view. Any advice on how you did it clone and any suggestions on ideas you didn't use?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I did the fuel line when the buggy body was off since I am an old fart and have old eyes plus I hate bending over to work under the body.
I usually pull the body every winter and give it a check over and also do my winter upgrades.
The Fuel injection was one of my upgrades.

I drilled a hole into the right rear of the pan tunnel while the body was off which makes it much easier. The new fuel line kind of matches the stock line except it is on the right side. I put the harness wrap on it for protection from vibration since it is not attached inside the tunnel. I kept it long and fed it all the way through the tunnel out the front and then used a tubing bender to put an nice 90 degree bend in it. I drilled a larger hole on the right side of the tunnel for the fuel line to come out. I added a grommet to the tunnel to protect the fuel line.

It is really harder to explain than to do it in my case.
Mario added a fuel line to his bug but I'm not sure where he put it.

Here is the link to the page in my build...there are pics that show some of what I did. You can follow my way or use it as a guide and do what works best for you.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... &start=630

There are other ways to add a fuel line if you do some research. I just liked my way the best instead of hanging it under the car like others have done.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

I was able to see what you did in your build. I'll look at the car sometime this week and see if it is doable in is current state. How long was the line you ran?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

My pan was shortened 14 1/4 inches for my buggy.
I used a section of fuel line that was extra long so I had enough to play with. Once I had it sticking out the front and put the 90 degree bend in I pulled it back far enough to put the bend through the side of the tunnel. After that was done I then trimmed the back to the length I wanted.

My buggy has an 80 inch wheel base and a stock bug is 94 inches.
I would get at least a 10 ft roll and use what you need and then you can make stuff out of the rest of the line.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

10ft it is :D

What should i go for with the fuel pressure regulator?
madmike

Post by madmike »

Aeromotive makes some nice ones
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

Those do look fancy but are a bit high in price for my needs haha
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

So i got my fuel pump, lines, and the chassis is ready for some work. Figured while the chassis is free I'd clean things up and spray a coat of rust protection.
FB_IMG_1496800811002.jpg
Still need to get a regulator and a filter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

If you can locate a stock German FI Beetle Regulator they will work just fine. I have one on my buggy.
I think a Bus T-4 Regulator will work too.

I use a VW Golf filter from NAPA. The part number is on my build somewhere.
Page 41 would be a good place to start.
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

you may think of a traction bar or what ever they call it that stiffens up the trans to the frame. Kefer bar? I would brake trans mounts until I did that..
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

While i have the body off might as well as some support. What are some good kefer bar setups to look for?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I use this one. I have the 1 inch version. Seems to work pretty well.

http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Bolt_on ... 7-2975.htm
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Clonebug wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:42 pm If you can locate a stock German FI Beetle Regulator they will work just fine. I have one on my buggy.
I think a Bus T-4 Regulator will work too.

I use a VW Golf filter from NAPA. The part number is on my build somewhere.
Page 41 would be a good place to start.
Same goes for me. A new FI Beetle Regulator, and a filter off the shelf of FLAPS.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

I'm having trouble locating a FI beetle fuel regulator. Might be using the wrong Google searches. I did order the kafer bar chip suggested. I'll try and finish running the fuel line tonight as well.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

yellow_snocone wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:03 am I'm having trouble locating a FI beetle fuel regulator.
Here you go.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 36&jsn=384
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build